“Everything was broken”

Holiday Inn Richmond south

4303 Commerce Rd
Richmond, VA 23234

Hwy/Exit: I-95 /69

We rent 1 room in direction to Florida everything was perfect à 79$ + tx with a book of coupon. Because we were happy this time, we decided when we go back to the North , to rent an other night. This time I have a cheaper coupon 69$, and the front desk guy recognized us. Very polite happy to come back. But when we get in it was the worst room in this hotel everything was broken, dirt everywhere so we were so tired and I did not complain, the result I used the room. It is not a holyday Inn service or the standard of room just a guy at the front desk unhappy with person who have coupon of reduction

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear vernonk12345,

Thank you for your feedback. Let me offer my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you this particular day. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. If you have future concerns, please let the Duty Manager know so an alternate room could be offered if available.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortfalls.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a real convenient hotel just right off I-95. All the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. The room was a typical hotel size but it was extremely nice. When you enter the room there is a mini-fridge and microwave, the bathroom (which was surprisingly well cleaned), two queen beds, a small desk for working on your laptop, and a chair in the corner to watch the TV. The gym has your typical cardio machines and free weight but what else would you really need? I was surprised the hotel doesn’t offer a continental breakfast and that if you want breakfast you have to use the connecting restaurant. Luckily I received a free breakfast ticket through my work so it was on the house. Sporting News Grill serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The reason for my stay was a workshop/conference that was being held at the hotel. Checkout time was 11:00am but I asked the front desk clerk if I could have a later checkout time to get my bags out of the room since I was attending the workshop and they happily gave it to me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Daniel D
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Daniel D,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about our hotel and staff. We are happy the you enjoyed your stay with us and will make sure to pass your comments onto the entire staff. We look forward to seeing you again whenever you are in the Richmond area.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Travelled all day and was counting on Holiday Inn Express as usual. They didn't disappoint. Rachel at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The Sporting News grill connected to the hotel was pretty good,bar food you would find anywhere but good after a 12 hr drive. Right off 95 very convenient

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear RickB444,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel and staff. We will pass your comments on to the entire staff. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in the Richmond area.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We count on Holiday Inn's consistent value and quality, but this inn was a major disappointment. Room was worn and there was no toilet paper in the bathroom... just two empty tubes on the toilet paper holder. There was only one towel in the bathroom. The next morning at breakfast there was only one server for the entire restaurant. We were not in a huge hurry so we waited (and waited) but watched many customers walk out.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear TrickyHobby,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and taking the time to post your comments. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and your comments will certainly be addressed. We look forward to seeing you when you are in the Richmond area.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The reviews that I read about this place leading up to our stay we're pretty accurate. Although, I came in with an open mind I was not persuaded otherwise. We were able to get a really good deal via Groupon for our stay. This is the only thing that made the stay worth it. I only paid $66 night with the Groupon voucher and after staying here I wouldn't want to pay any more than that. $66 is a fair value for this place so I'm not sure how they continue to lure guests in here with rates in the $80-90 range. It is close to I-95 and 64 which makes it convenient for traveling.

It really wasn't like they did a bunch of stuff wrong, they just didn't overwhelm me with service or cleanliness. Our room was adequately furnished, had an A/C unit that worked well, and didn't smell like cigarette smoke so that was a plus. However, our bathroom was a bit small and very dark with only one light. The toilet seat has no lid which is not sanitary. There was a patch job above the shower that looks like it might have been done by an apprentice or someone just learning to do patchwork. Around 4:30 on Saturday (we checked in Friday night and left on Sunday) we returned from a day of shopping in Williamsburg and wanted to shower and freshen up before heading out for dinner. We were informed that there was a shortage of towels and that we would not be able to get any for another hour or more. This was a problem since we had already thrown our towels onto the bathroom floor expecting to get new ones. We were not pleased with that.

Overall, this was a good value at $66, but paying anything more than that would not be appropriate for this place. I have stayed in many Holiday Inn's, but none have been this below average.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Corey F,

We appreciate you posting your thoughts about our hotel. We apologize that we did not live up to our high standards with your stay. Your comments will be passed onto the appropriate departments so they are made aware. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn South-Bells Road for one night in September after attending a NASCAR race in Richmond. We arrived very late after the race so I guess the front desk person was very tired but he (I don't think he even had a name tag) barely spoke to us. The lobby looked okay though some of the furniture looked a bit tired and was coming apart at the seams. We went to our room and everything seemed to be okay. The beds were reasonably comfortable though I was sleeping on the side next to the AC unit so it blew on me all night.

The next morning while getting ready we noticed issues with the room and specifically the bathroom. First of all it appeared that a previous guest let (I assume) a child play with nail polish as it was all over the floor in different areas and on the wall in the bathroom.

The bathroom has a large counter which was nice so we all had somewhere to put our things. It REALLY grosses me out that there is no toilet lid to close when you flush the toilet. The amount of germs that are spread from flushing the toilet without the lid closed is well known and it would be easy enough for the hotel to have seats with lids. The towel bar in the bathroom looked as though it was about to fall off the wall. It appears there may have been a recent remodel in the room but it wasn't finished completely. The "ring" to the shower head was loose so you could see the hole in the wall, the faucet to the tub wasn't flush so water could (and will) get behind the wall along with the overflow drain was not properly installed.

There was a small refrigerator, coffee pot and a microwave with plugs in the front to plug in the coffee pot. The room was also very dirty from a lack of a thorough cleaning. The housekeeping manager needs to be spot checking rooms daily to make sure things are being taken care of.

Our biggest issue was breakfast the next morning at the restaurant "Sporting News Grill". We arrived and there was nobody at the hostess stand to seat us, we waited over 10 minutes and at one point a hotel employee walked by us and another group twice without so much as a word to us or to someone working at the restaurant to let them know we were waiting. We eventually gave up and sat ourselves at one of the few clean tables. The chairs in the restaurant should have been replaced a couple of years ago as they show a lot of wear. We waited at least another 10 minutes for someone to take our drink order - waters and coffee. After waiting a LONG time I gave up, went behind the bar to grab a pitcher, filled it with water and then went to the server station and got styrofoam cups with coffee.

By the time the Banquet Manager, Robert Anderson came to take our food order we were quite frustrated. There were only seven tables with people at them and it seemed as though he was working one table at a time. To his credit, Mr. Anderson handled our complaints well and apologized saying he had two employees that did not show for their shift and he was supposed to be preparing for a banquet that afternoon. I felt bad for him and wondered why there was no restaurant GM, someone from the hotel or ANYONE that could help in the restaurant. The restaurant should be ran separately from banquets and should have their own manager and staff. Whoever is in charge of the restaurant should be fired as they apparently did not properly prepare for the fact that the hotel would be busy due to the race. I understand people not showing up for shifts but I do not understand hotel employees milling about while one person runs around in the restaurant like a chicken with his head cut off because he is the only one there. Mr. Anderson was very kind, apologetic and handled the situation as best he could but there needs to be systems in place to make sure there is enough help in the restaurant when needed. Every single Holiday Inn employee who was working that morning should be ashamed of themselves for not pitching in and helping where help was needed whether it was their job or not.

Based on this experience I doubt we will ever return to this Holiday Inn again when in the Richmond area.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank The_Picky_Traveler21
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Britterich,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. We apologize that we did not live up to our high standards. We would like to discuss this further with you if you would like to contact us 804-592-2900 and ask for Dawnita or Amit (GM). I will make sure that your comments are passed onto the appropriate departments so they are made aware.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My family and I booked a stay here a month ago. We weren't familiar with the area, but through observation when we arrived, it seemed to be one of the better hotels in that part of town.

The staff was nice and the room was clean without odors. Unfortunately, the room we stayed in had numerous flaws. A light fixture by one of the beds didn't work. Next, the TV had trouble getting a decent reception from time to time. The two major problems I had involved the WiFi and the AC unit in the room. With the WiFi, I could barely get a signal in the room. I had to go down to the lobby just use the WiFi on my phone. The worst issue we had was the AC unit. We couldn't shut it off and it stayed on all night long! It was very loud and the sound would sometimes wake me from my sleep.

For the price, it's an average hotel. The convenient access to I-95 is probably its best feature.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Michael H,

We appreciate you posting your comments about your stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues you had during your stay. I have passed the information on to our engineering department. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you when you are in Richmond.

Sincerley,