“Leaves a lot to be desired...”

Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road
Ranked #39 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Salem, Virginia
“Leaves a lot to be desired...”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The reviews that I read about this place leading up to our stay we're pretty accurate. Although, I came in with an open mind I was not persuaded otherwise. We were able to get a really good deal via Groupon for our stay. This is the only thing that made the stay worth it. I only paid $66 night with the Groupon voucher and after staying here I wouldn't want to pay any more than that. $66 is a fair value for this place so I'm not sure how they continue to lure guests in here with rates in the $80-90 range. It is close to I-95 and 64 which makes it convenient for traveling.

It really wasn't like they did a bunch of stuff wrong, they just didn't overwhelm me with service or cleanliness. Our room was adequately furnished, had an A/C unit that worked well, and didn't smell like cigarette smoke so that was a plus. However, our bathroom was a bit small and very dark with only one light. The toilet seat has no lid which is not sanitary. There was a patch job above the shower that looks like it might have been done by an apprentice or someone just learning to do patchwork. Around 4:30 on Saturday (we checked in Friday night and left on Sunday) we returned from a day of shopping in Williamsburg and wanted to shower and freshen up before heading out for dinner. We were informed that there was a shortage of towels and that we would not be able to get any for another hour or more. This was a problem since we had already thrown our towels onto the bathroom floor expecting to get new ones. We were not pleased with that.

Overall, this was a good value at $66, but paying anything more than that would not be appropriate for this place. I have stayed in many Holiday Inn's, but none have been this below average.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Corey F,

We appreciate you posting your thoughts about our hotel. We apologize that we did not live up to our high standards with your stay. Your comments will be passed onto the appropriate departments so they are made aware. We look forward to seeing you again.

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn South-Bells Road for one night in September after attending a NASCAR race in Richmond. We arrived very late after the race so I guess the front desk person was very tired but he (I don't think he even had a name tag) barely spoke to us. The lobby looked okay though some of the furniture looked a bit tired and was coming apart at the seams. We went to our room and everything seemed to be okay. The beds were reasonably comfortable though I was sleeping on the side next to the AC unit so it blew on me all night.

The next morning while getting ready we noticed issues with the room and specifically the bathroom. First of all it appeared that a previous guest let (I assume) a child play with nail polish as it was all over the floor in different areas and on the wall in the bathroom.

The bathroom has a large counter which was nice so we all had somewhere to put our things. It REALLY grosses me out that there is no toilet lid to close when you flush the toilet. The amount of germs that are spread from flushing the toilet without the lid closed is well known and it would be easy enough for the hotel to have seats with lids. The towel bar in the bathroom looked as though it was about to fall off the wall. It appears there may have been a recent remodel in the room but it wasn't finished completely. The "ring" to the shower head was loose so you could see the hole in the wall, the faucet to the tub wasn't flush so water could (and will) get behind the wall along with the overflow drain was not properly installed.

There was a small refrigerator, coffee pot and a microwave with plugs in the front to plug in the coffee pot. The room was also very dirty from a lack of a thorough cleaning. The housekeeping manager needs to be spot checking rooms daily to make sure things are being taken care of.

Our biggest issue was breakfast the next morning at the restaurant "Sporting News Grill". We arrived and there was nobody at the hostess stand to seat us, we waited over 10 minutes and at one point a hotel employee walked by us and another group twice without so much as a word to us or to someone working at the restaurant to let them know we were waiting. We eventually gave up and sat ourselves at one of the few clean tables. The chairs in the restaurant should have been replaced a couple of years ago as they show a lot of wear. We waited at least another 10 minutes for someone to take our drink order - waters and coffee. After waiting a LONG time I gave up, went behind the bar to grab a pitcher, filled it with water and then went to the server station and got styrofoam cups with coffee.

By the time the Banquet Manager, Robert Anderson came to take our food order we were quite frustrated. There were only seven tables with people at them and it seemed as though he was working one table at a time. To his credit, Mr. Anderson handled our complaints well and apologized saying he had two employees that did not show for their shift and he was supposed to be preparing for a banquet that afternoon. I felt bad for him and wondered why there was no restaurant GM, someone from the hotel or ANYONE that could help in the restaurant. The restaurant should be ran separately from banquets and should have their own manager and staff. Whoever is in charge of the restaurant should be fired as they apparently did not properly prepare for the fact that the hotel would be busy due to the race. I understand people not showing up for shifts but I do not understand hotel employees milling about while one person runs around in the restaurant like a chicken with his head cut off because he is the only one there. Mr. Anderson was very kind, apologetic and handled the situation as best he could but there needs to be systems in place to make sure there is enough help in the restaurant when needed. Every single Holiday Inn employee who was working that morning should be ashamed of themselves for not pitching in and helping where help was needed whether it was their job or not.

Based on this experience I doubt we will ever return to this Holiday Inn again when in the Richmond area.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank The_Picky_Traveler21
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Britterich,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. We apologize that we did not live up to our high standards. We would like to discuss this further with you if you would like to contact us 804-592-2900 and ask for Dawnita or Amit (GM). I will make sure that your comments are passed onto the appropriate departments so they are made aware.

Tucker, Georgia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My family and I booked a stay here a month ago. We weren't familiar with the area, but through observation when we arrived, it seemed to be one of the better hotels in that part of town.

The staff was nice and the room was clean without odors. Unfortunately, the room we stayed in had numerous flaws. A light fixture by one of the beds didn't work. Next, the TV had trouble getting a decent reception from time to time. The two major problems I had involved the WiFi and the AC unit in the room. With the WiFi, I could barely get a signal in the room. I had to go down to the lobby just use the WiFi on my phone. The worst issue we had was the AC unit. We couldn't shut it off and it stayed on all night long! It was very loud and the sound would sometimes wake me from my sleep.

For the price, it's an average hotel. The convenient access to I-95 is probably its best feature.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Michael H,

We appreciate you posting your comments about your stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues you had during your stay. I have passed the information on to our engineering department. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you when you are in Richmond.

Sincerley,
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

have stayed here about 30 times. Great rooms, ncely decorated and always clean. Good restaurant & bar. Nothing else around the area. Easy access to I-95. Friendly and curtious stay. Nice exercise room.

• Stayed August 2013
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Big Mook,

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to post your very kind comments! We are so happy that you enjoy staying with us. We look forward to your next visit with us. Your comments will be passed onto the entire staff.

Staten Island, New York, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Needed to get a room for the night as my wife was injured on vacation and we were driving from SC to NY and she needed to rest. Problem was we had our dog. We stopped and asked for availability of a pet friendly room that would also accommodate a wheelchair . Te front desk staff was very accommodating and we got a nice room, vey clean and decorated well. I took a dip in the pool and later had dinner at the Sports Pub adjacent to the lobby. Good food and service .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amit V, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Jim,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review. We are very pleased that you had such a great time and experience. Your comments will be passed onto the entire staff.

We hope to be of service to you in the future.

The Management Team,
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel, I really did.
Pictures show a newly renovated property. I thought it would be perfect decently priced hotel to stay overnight for a halfway mark on a family trip to SC.

Walking in, we received a super warm and extra happy welcome...... however it was from a very drunk Southerner drinking Budweiser out of his pickup truck parked conspicuously in FRONT of the hotel main entrance where EVERY guest could see him. Guess that kind of thing is the norm 'round those parts. All the staff saw him, he was there for quite some time.

Next we received a standard "Name? Credit Card?" list of questions and no real welcoming feeling from staff. Fair enough, wasn't expecting much. We were told where our room was and directed to the elevators. There we were then joined by yet another DRUNK Southerner drinking alcohol IN the elevator with yes, a Budweiser. A little uncomfortable w my two kids...but it was fine.

When we got to our floor I noticed there was absolutely NO A/C in the hallways (A/C on the 1st floor hallways, but every subsequent floor was humid and sticky. Maybe it was broke on all levels except 1st, I don't know. Our room was very pretty, very clean, very modern, was very pleased w room accomodations: down comforter, fluffy choice of firm or soft pillows, fridge, microwave, desk. Down point, did not like the A/C units in the room ( was not central air), they were loud and blew our curtains upwards each time the air was on. The walls were thin and could hear everyone who passed in the hallways or shut their door. We also had a view of the pool---which actually we were afraid to swim in after viewing iur view. From our room we sawa bunch of gangster looking people drinking Forty Ounces by the pool.

Then there's the restaurant The SPorting News Grill located on sight. I did a separate review of the eatery, check it out. Looked nice from appearance, but WAY below average food, service and overall atmosphere.

All in all, the rooms were clean, I slept well, there was a coffee pot in a special space above the fridge (with NO outlet so I had to plug in the bathroom...weird....and no toilet cover on the toilet so I always felt like something was going to fall in) but the rooms and bathrooms were very nice

Richmond is a poor area, so if staying in this area, don't expect much of scenery in ALL respects, and a sub par stay at a nicely redone hotel at Hoilday Inn Bells South.

Room Tip: Choose a different town.
Dear Tamarajoy9,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your experience at the Holiday Inn Richmond-South fell short. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you, at your convenience, so I can address the specifics of your stay. I can be reached at 804-592-2900 . We value all comments so that we may continually improve guest experience, and I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience.

Respectfully,

Dawnita Bernier
Front Desk Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went to Richmond for a wedding with my family. The Location was excellent, right off 95. The rooms were a little cramped but the beds were very comfortable. The cleaning staff did an awesome job, and were very accommodating, the Front desk staff were all very friendly. Had breakfast at their restaurant grill. Food was good, service was slow. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed on the upper floor, asked for the pool view.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel and staff. We will pass your comments on to the entire staff. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to you staying with us whenever you are in the Richmond area.