“Very Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #41 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Norfolk, Virginia
“Very Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was in town for a short stay and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road after seeing other reviews for the hotel. Sandrina was working at the front desk when we arrived. I happened to speak to her on the telephone when I called before my trip. Over the phone, I told her my plans while I would be in town and when I checked into the hotel, she had already printed out directions for me. She was very nice and went above and beyond to make sure I was satisfied during my entire stay. The lobby and rooms were very clean. The hotel was close to many attractions so were able to explore the city of Richmond during our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S W
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate the positive review and will pass it on the rest of the staff.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've stayed here twice now. Both times I was in the area for business. While the rooms appeared clean, there were always a couple of issues that needed to be dealt with. For starters, the hallways are filthy (ditto for the stairwells). I think I walked over the same sticky residue from a spilled soda in the stairwell for at least three days. The internet is so awful that I started going to McDonalds in the morning to use their internet. Seriously, don't count on it ever working! The towel rack was hanging precariously from the wall on only one screw and housekeeping missed my room twice. Don't even get me started on the room service screwups (I just ordered breakfast three mornings in a row and every single one was wrong in some way)!

That being said, the staff is very professional and polite. Anytime I brought up an issue, they would promptly start working on the solution (the towel rack was fixed by the time I got back that evening). For short stays, this is a great hotel. If you need to be here for longer business trips, look into the Hampton Inn across the street. The internet never seems to fail and is fast, plus they have a wonderderful free breakfast. I wanted to like this Holiday Inn, but I can't waste my time searching for amenities like wifi and breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sara B
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are glad your experience with our wonderful staff was good and your concerns were addressed in a timely fashion.

Please accept our sincere apologies for your experience with our room service and the internet. Please feel free to contact us to give us further details. Our goal is to have all of our guests have the best service and meals.

We would love for you to give us another chance.

Manalapan, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to stop and get a room last minute to sleep for the night as we continued our trip with our 7 month old baby. The hotel was great considering having a room available last minute and being extremely close to I-95. I also liked that the hotel was close to places that were open late to grab a quick bite to eat and also had a restaurant out front of the hotel but that was closed when we were there. The staff was very nice and put us on the first floor near the outside entrance to make it convenient for us because of the baby which was very nice. The room was a nice size and had a very large king size bed that was comfortable. But the downfall was we noticed a bug on the bed when our baby was laying on it and luckily it was only an ant but still had me a little grossed out and had me looking out for bugs. The bathroom was clean and had a great shower the only other thing that was bad about the room was the rug, it didn't appear to look dirty but when you walked on it it felt gross and my socks turned black and my husbands bare feet turned black from the rug. I feel if the room got the rugs cleaned it would be perfect especially for the price.

Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Stephy3026
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. Your comments will be looked into.

We look toward to seeing you again in the future.

MOBILE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at this property on Thurs,May 23rd 2013 in room 119. I had no issues with anybody or anything. Right off I-95, about 10 min south of downtown Richmond. The area seems a bit industrial. There is a Subway and McD's within walking distance, and the hotel has a very good restaurant/sports bar. My room was up to date, included a microwave and a fridge. Adequate parking. I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldwideTee
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again, soon.

Orchard Park NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

It was my second stay there and the staff and hotel once again impressed me. This hotel is clean with a friendly staff and ample parking. It is conveniently located right off the I-95 exit five miles from downtown Richmond. It is also about 20 minutes from the airport. Contrary to other reviews, it is not "on the wrong side of town" and I never felt threatened either in the restaurant or walking to Subway or McDonalds. Speaking of the restaurant the food and drink is affordable and the restaurant staff awesome. If I had just one negative, the room I had was not very big - smaller than other Holiday Inn's I have stayed at but that won't keep me from staying there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank scottop
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. We will be sure to pass it along to our staff.

We look forward to taking care of your accommodations, the next time you are in our area!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked this facility on Hotwire at a very competitive rate. As expected, there were quite a few contractor vehicles in the parking lot when I arrived after a long day on the road. I have to say that everything was perfectly okay. There were numerous little things that I would expect to have issues with at this level of property -- i.e. the A/C unit didn't work particularly well, the coffee maker amenities were shortchanged and some other amenity was missing but it was no big deal. I'm a road warrior and I take these things in stride. Perhaps for others it would be an issue.

I didn't experience any significant street noise or in-hotel noise ... but then I can sleep at a bus stop if I'm tired enough which I was this night.

Staff at check-in was very friendly, no noticeable signs of dirt in any of the areas I visited, room was clean, bed was on-par with the room rate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bob G
Dear valued guest,

We are so pleased you were happy with your stay with us. Should you be in our area again, please keep us in mind. If there is anything you need during your stay, please feel free to contact our front desk staff. They will be more than happy to help you.

Rock Hill, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Very nice and convenient hotel close to I-95. Staff is very nice and helpful. Rooms are clean and very nicely decorated.

The grill downstairs actually has good food and atmosphere.

Recommended for anyone traveling through Richmond.

• Stayed April 2013
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review! We will be sure to pass it on to our staff.

Please keep us in mind the next time you are in our area.