“Most disappointing Sheraton”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cary, North Carolina
“Most disappointing Sheraton”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

To the date of my stay in this Sheraton Hotel I had not had a single bad stay at this chain. The low bar is set by this hotel. The overall service for at this hotel is just poor. The only reason I am not giving this one star is because the basics were still in place. To give an example I requested to talk to the manager to voice my concerns in a constructive way. He was not available so I asked the front desk clerks to ask him to call me. It is now 3 weeks and I am still waiting. I will not recommend this hotel and will not stay here again. For frequent travelers and anybody expecting to usual Sheraton quality fare in the concierge lounge fogedaboudit! Measly fare and the attendants ration the Diet Coke can you believe it because you are not allowed to take more than one. Don't wast your money at this hotel you will just get aggravated like I did. I moved to the Marriott in downtown Richmond very nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

In town for a conference, and only stayed one night but it was a lovely hotel. Snowy weather, but a nice warm lobby greeted us upon arrival. Conference facilities were spacious, multiple elevators all working (a bigger deal than you think), good parking. The grounds were well cared for, and the lake area was most serene. I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The good- Parking was free and plentiful. (though the signs almost make you think it's parking for hotel associates, not guests) The hotel was clean and presentable on the inside and outside with a pretty back lawn area.

The bad- Check-in took much longer than it should have. There were only 3 people, including me, in line and the place was empty. The other 2 guests were apparently having issues with their bills, and it could have been handled much more efficiently. Ie> it was clear when the guests walked away they were way unhappy. How do I know all this? Because it was not handled discretely or fast. I felt bad for both guests.

Also, if you are checking in two different guests, a single man and a single woman, use some common sense. The hotel was clearly not full, yet they put us (strangers) on the same floor, all the way at the end, in rooms next to each other. I get wanting to utilize space, but as a single business woman, I have to be aware of my surroundings and someone following me up the elevator, down a long hall, and almost directly to my room is disconcerting. The elevators were fast with a nice view. (glass elevators)

Casual dining restaurant- Again, the hotel lobby and restaurant was empty at this time. I waited for a hostess to show up for about 10 minutes, then gave up and went to the front desk to seek help. (And they clearly saw me standing there waiting in a tiny lobby, but didn’t offer any assistance until asked) Then their level of assistance was to call the hostess podium…where clearly there was no one standing except me. The hostess showed up a bit later.

The hostess ended up being my server, and the service was excellent and friendly. (so good recovery from the restaurant) And the food was much better than I expected. I would even call it delicious, minus a nasty (old?) tea. Seasoned right, hot, and pretty to look at. I ate there for lunch the next day, and same delicious food with very friendly service.

The room- The view was of the roof. The bathroom and room could use some work, but it was clean and spacious for my business needs. There was some plaster spots that needed to be fixed, and the tub wasn’t ‘pretty’, but it was clean and the water pressure was great. The amenities were basic and what you’d expect from any hotel. (lotion, small soap, hair dryer, shampoo, coffee maker, water) No ‘wow’ factor, but decent. I give them points for having tea in the room, and Starbucks coffee.

The only issue in the room was when you flushed the toilet the water would rise by about 3 inches, just enough to make you think it was going to overflow, and then flush very slowly. It worked, but it wasn’t relaxing to watch it. In their defense, I didn’t report it because I was too busy. More points for having good lighting in the room and bathroom.

Room service- Same hostess/server from lunch. She was nice, and the price was okay, but the food this time was pretty bad. Had a simple grilled ham and cheese, but it was sp bland, kind of squashed, not toasted properly, not cute to look at, and not hot. The salad was basic but okay. They didn’t offer the basics—salt, pepper, condiments, etc. You should probably stick with the restaurant, even though I assume it’s the same kitchen??

The delivery was surprisingly fast too, so bonus points, but then I really don’t understand the cold food.

Front desk/guest service- Called for toothpaste and shower cap. Told to come get it. Enough said. Sure he was polite, but the bottom line is they don’t go above and beyond to help.

Billing- I too had an issue with my bill. After I got back home I saw an additional charge for $5.57 on my bank statement. When I called they said it was for water. I explained 1-I didn’t have water, 2-the small bottle in the room had a complimentary sign. So either way, I shouldn’t have been charged. They said they would take it off, so presumably they will. And how she had the same non-apology 'go away' demeanor on the phone is rather impressive. Maybe it's a front desk thing.

Gym- Very tiny, but efficient. (treadmills, weights) Also free and open 24 hrs. They had a small frig that was full of towels vs. water.

Overall, it’s not a bad hotel; it was just pretty average in service. The challenge is they seem to have a “thank you sir/ma’am”/just smile until the guest goes away attitude without really fixing issues presented. They aren't remotely trying to impress you.

This would not be my first choice just due to the ‘not my problem as long as I smile’ demeanor. They aren’t rude at all; they are just don't appear to care much. (minus the one hostess who genuinely either cared or faked it much better)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank WorldTraveler38
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The room was adequate. I was with a group so our company reserved several rooms. Some of our people didn't show up so we were able to each have rooms to ourselves. I'm not sure why, but this was a concern to the lady at the front counter. She had trouble giving me a key card for a room that was under our leader's name but not originally assigned to me. She gave me the card though and I was able to access my room. However, by the time I was ready to use the room later that night, I was unable to get in. They had obviously deactivated my key. I used the hall phone to contact the front desk. She didn't try my key, just exchanged it for another and didn't wait to see whether it would work, which it did. Not a major issue compared to another in our group who was given the key card to a room that was occupied. Our group leader changed rooms 3 times due to lack of cleanliness as she was told that no one from housekeeping was available to clean her room. Entering a room where the toilet wasn't flushed is a bit disturbing, leading one to wonder what other basic tasks were overlooked. I expected more of the Sheraton.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank KimSLokeman
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed here for three nights during a recent soccer tournament. The hotel is conveniently located off of major roads and is surrounded by several restaurants, malls/plazas, shops and gas stations. There is a scenic area behind the hotel that featured some nice waterfront and a gazebo.

I was concerned about staying here as I read that the hotel was not really team friendly. I did not find this to be the case. As a matter of fact, I think the contributor may have reviewed the wrong hotel. Contrary to the review The Sheraton Richmond Park South Hotel offered free parking, free WIFI (that was fairly fast-I had iPads, iPhones and a laptop hooked up through the weekend with little trouble) and free coffee (Starbucks) in the room with a coffee maker.

It did not appear that there was a complimentary breakfast (which I agree is a must if competing for team business) but luckily as there were numerous teams at the hotel a "soccer breakfast" was offered (complimentary). It was a fairly basic hot breakfast with limited fruit and no cereal but, more than adequate for what we needed.

The rooms are a bit small and dated but the beds are very comfortable. Despite the fact there were numerous teams in the hotel and a wedding on one of the nights I found the halls to be fairly quite.

Overall, I felt it was a decent hotel for the price that offered what we needed during our stay.

PROS
Free Parking
Free WIFI
Nice Scenery
Conveniently Located
Helpful Staff
Good Beds

CONS
A Bit Dated
Small Pool
Only Two Elevators (A Bit Slow When Busy)
Typically, No Complimentary Breakfast
Team Nightly Rate Was OK, Not Great

I would recommend this hotel for families, teams and business travelers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SoccerFamily11
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The staff members greeted me very well. When checking out the staff gave me customer services.Very Peaceful place to stay. It located in an area that has resturants n shopping mall. They also has a resturant inside the hotel. Recommendations to anyone.Overall I had a Wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2014
Tolland
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night for a soccer tournament. The staff was nice and accommodating. As an SPG member they upgraded us automatically to the club level. The club room was adequately supplied with everything you need for breakfast. Staff member in the club room was very nice. Definitely would stay again.

Stayed March 2014