“Off to a rough start”

Four Points by Sheraton Richmond
Ranked #11 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here for a single evening. I arrived a bit after the 3:00 check-in time. Check-in went smoothly and Bonnie was very pleasant and explained all of the amenities available and the hours.

When I arrived at my room it had not been cleaned and was still a mess from the previous guests. A hotel employee happened by and saw my pained look and immediately called down to the front desk. By the time I got down to the lobby Bonnie already had the new room assigned and apologized for the inconvenience. To make up for it she gave me an "upgrade" to a room with a view of the lake and a mini-fridge. The lake view was obscured by the pine trees so if you pay extra for the room with a lake view you are likely to be disappointed.

The room was OK. It was clean and the bedding was nice. The AC was powerful and pumped out cold air. Of course it made a lot of loud noises, but you definitely were not hot.

The hotel seemed to be quite full but it was not noisy in the hallway (but it may have been masked by the AC :) during the night.

On the plus side the internet and parking was free and the location is convenient to the local attractions.

The check-out went smoothly and was done with a smile.

Based on the experience I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you pay extra for a lake view ask for a room location that allows you to see the lake unhindered...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
dschmoll, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

On behalf of the entire team at Sheraton Richmond Park South Hotel thank you for your recent post on TripAdivsor. As the General Manager of the hotel, I am always pleased to read that our front desk agents are courteous and quickly address any concerns of our guests.
I hope you were able to take advantage of the upgraded amenities that come with our lake view rooms.
Please let me know when you are planning to stay with us in the future as i would like to personally welcome you,

Dennis Schmoll

Reviewed September 9, 2012

OK, we only stayed here for one night, the majority of which we were not in the room. When I checked in, Bonnie at the front desk was super professional. She welcomed me and thanked me for staying there. She also thanked me for being a Starwood Preferred Guest and asked if we had questitons about any of the ammenities at the hotel and told me to call her if we had any problems. When we got to the room it was just like in the pictures. We were in room 330 which, when you got off the elevator and turned right, was on the left side of the hallway. We had a great view of the pool, lake, and gazebo. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate and give us lots of sun :( We were there for the race in Richmond so we didn't get back to the room until about 4am, but when we got there the hotel was quiet. When we got back to the room I immediately took a shower. There was a little bit of black mold along the top of the tub but not bad. The drain was either clogged or not open all the way so the water kept rising as I took a shower, but I take quick showers, so not really a problem. The room, aside from the mold issue, was clean and comfortable. The bed was SUPER comfy with lots of sheets and super fluffy pillows.The pool looked kind of yucky-the drains at the bottom were rusty and the water was really cold. It was cool that part of the pool was inside and part was outside. There was a small church service going on in the gazebo out back so I didn't get to spend any time there. When they told us that breakfast was an additional $12 I was surprised. $12 for a buffet that was probably cold by that time seems a bit steep, so we drove to the McD's and had breakfast. you would think that for the amount of $$$$$$$ I paid, it would have been included... All-in-all I would stay here again if I got a discount (like Expedia or Hotwire)

Room Tip: Hotel is quiet even though it's on a main road
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We did not have a choice of location as my son was attending a swim meet and the team chose this hotel for where the kids would stay as a group. To be clear, I stayed in a different hotel, but at the end of their stay I had to go to the room my son stayed in (with three other 12 year old boys) to check for an item left behind, and therefore was able to see the room. There was mold around the air conditioning unit, the windows and in the bathroom. I was very distressed since I had specifically called the hotel in advance after reading earlier reviews about a mold issue here on TripAdvisor and discussed how my son has a mold allergy and could become sick. The staff, who were incredibly nice and thoughtful, assured me that he would be assigned one of their 'hypoallergenic rooms' that was recently renovated. There was a clean coat of paint in the room, but that was it. The mold remained. The staff, as others have stated, were lovely. The property is over 20 + years old, has a flat roof (which collects moisture) and it seems that management can't get ahead of the mold. For health reasons, I would avoid in the future if possible.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank gingergirl007
dschmoll, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

As the Sheraton Richmond Park South Hotel's General Manager I want to personally respond to your posting on Trip Advisor concerning your recent stay at our hotel.
We are taking immediate steps to rectify our image with a clean fresher look starting with our newly installed carpet. I am confident that should your travels bring you back to Richmond for future sporting events you and your family can look forward to enjoying a rejuvenated hotel.
We hope you will afford us the opportunity to return so you can experience the level of product and service guests have come to expect from Sheraton.

Dennis Schmoll

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The female who checked us in, told us no king beds were available so we'd have to stay in the handicapped room which is "just like the other rooms except with a larger bathroom". I was also told that although I am a Star CLub member, I could not participate on the club floor because I am not a gold club member. I had just come from the Sheraton in Norfolk, full participation on CLub floor. The room was unacceptable, the bathroom door would not close, the door was splitting due to water damage, the windows to the outside were cloudy/dirty, the wallpaper was peeling off the wall. When I expressed concern and was told nothing would change;same woman long black hair, she is either Indian or Middle Eastern. I asked for a Manager, Donnell was able to help us, move us to a King room(remember we had been told none were available), and graciously let us use the club room on 7. My thanks to Donnell, he helped us without hesitation. At check out, the female clerk failed to give us our second day for 48.00 and we were charged full price, it was she who had checked us in and who actually confirmed the second day deal upon check in. She was very nervous when we asked her to make the appropriate changes to the bill, she did not seem to know how to make the reversals to our bill. When the hotel manager was nearby, she became more nervous, it took her around 10 minutes to change the bill.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I read through the reviews prior to our stay. We did not have a choice of location as we were attending a soccer tournament and the team booked our stay. I think many of the reviews were unfair. The hotel has great potential. Yes, there are cosmetic issues in the rooms but it looks as though the hotel is in the process of updating. Our room was very clean. The hotel was clean. The pool and grounds were clean. The value for what you get is VERY good. The staff was EXCELLENT! There was not one member of staff that I met that did not stop and ask me how my stay was and if there was anything I needed. When I did need something they went above and beyond to get it. I would stay here again and I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location,close to good shopping and good restaurants beautiful grounds. My kids really enjoyed the pools.view of the lake from the outdoor pool was nice. And staff was helpful, friendly and professional.
Highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The first time we stayed here, we had to be switched to another room because the first one was full of the smell of mold. They switched us right away with no problems. I remember check in taking a long time and this time it was the same. However the staff once again was very friendly. The hotel was very full they convention people, a wedding, sports event and something else going on so the wait was understandable.

The rooms are nice and spacious. It was very clean but the smell (air freshener) was way to strong. The bed comfortable and the room was quiet. Nice Decor and furniture in room. Very comfortable. The hotel itself (hallways and a few walls) are in need of repair and updating but overall the lobby and rooms look very nice. The elevator needs better upkeep (windows were dirty). I love that this hotel has free internet for everyone. I did not like that i am supposed to have everything as a gold member (Preferred plus member) except the extra points. But, they didn't give us anything, no upgrade or anything. We did get a bottle of water in the room which was nice.

All in all, we like this hotel and will stay again.

Room Tip: Don't stay next to the Club Lounge if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business