Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North
Ranked #55 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Eden, North Carolina, United States
“Best Extended Stay yet.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have stayed in three Extended Stay Inns in three different cities in the last month. I am amazed at how each one has gone out of their way to help us with different issues. This particular time, I inadvertently made our reservation for the wrong day. The clerk very efficiently made the necessary changes and found a suitable room for us within minutes. The facility was very clean and quiet. It was comfortable and well-located.

There are two Extended Stay facilities next door to each other at this location. This particular one has a small pool, an exercise room, and a pull-out sofa bed in every room. Be sure to check the street number if you specifically want to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Kay - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am very sorry to hear that your reservation was created for the wrong day; however, I am so proud of our team for accommodating your stay in an efficient and friendly manner. As well, I am glad that you found your room to be clean, quiet and comfortable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 5, 2013

when I got to our room and found that the a/c was not working, the desk clerk came up immediately and checked it out and moved us to another room. I was very pleased with how quickly she responded.
The next morning we needed directions and the front desk clerk not only printed them out for us, but made sure we were getting the best route.
We will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Debbie - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Thank you for your kind comments about our entire staff. I am sorry that your air conditioner did not work when you checked in; however, I am so glad that we were able to rectify the situation in a timely manner.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

After a 7 day stay at the 3 star dump down the street, we spent the last 2 nights here. Clean 4 1/2 foot pool with wheel chair lift available, nice sized rooms, great grab and go breakfast, laundry, full kitchen, and friendly staff! Great price through price line. Will bring my family back for our next visit to Richmond.

• Stayed June 2013
Virginia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We have frequently stayed in the Richmond area for the past 4 years due to a class my husband is taking. The hotels we usually stay at were full for this particular weekend. I looked on TA and found decent reviews for this one, so we decided to give it a shot.

The woman at the front desk was very courteous and apologetic that our room wasn't yet ready for check-in (at 6pm). I sent my husband on to class, and I sat in the waiting area with our luggage until the room was ready. I was really tired, I guess, because I fell asleep in the chair, waiting. I think it was about 25 minutes. I guess the lady felt sorry for me, because she gave us 50% off our room rate.

I went upstairs to our room on the second floor, and the first thing I noticed was this was definitely a no-frills kind of place. They didn't supply things like shampoo and conditioner. That's not a big deal because I bring my own, but it seemed odd not to find them in the room. Also no paper or plastic cups. (there were glass ones in the kitchenette)

I lay down on the bed and first thing I noticed was that mattress needs replacing. It was hard and saggy in the middle. I rolled toward the middle, and I'm not a very big person either, at 120 pounds. It was also a small bed, just full-size, I think. I should probably have asked for another room at this point, but I didn't because I was just so tired. I dozed on and off for about two hours. I didn't fall to sleep because whoever had the room directly above us kept pacing in their room. I mean they never stopped. They walked back and forth for 2 hours. When my husband came back from class, I told him, "Listen to that. Don't they ever sit down?" However, I figured surely they would go to bed at some point.

Guess what. That person NEVER went to bed. I listened to them pace all night. Then I guess they got thirsty. They didn't just fill a glass of water and drink it, either. There was a burst of water from their tap for maybe a second, then THUNK, as they shut it off. Then a couple seconds later, another burst of water and THUNK. This went on and on and on and on and on. It was like something from a bad comedy routine. Luckily for my husband, he sleeps like a rock. So he was oblivious to everything.

Finally, I could not stand it anymore. I went down to the front desk in the middle of the night - God knows what time - maybe 3 AM? There was no one there, so I went up to the third floor to knock on the door of the people above us. I opened up the door to the hallway at the top of the stairwell and was nearly bowled over by the stench of cigarette smoke. Oh my, it was foul. However, that actually knocked some sense into me because who knows what might have transpired if I bothered those people. I went back to my room.

My husband woke up when I came in and I told him I'd probably sleep better in the back seat of the car. So then he suggested turning the fan on and maybe that would drown out the thirsty pacer upstairs. As noisy as the pacer was, I didn't think it would help, but it did.

Now, in terms of cleanliness, I think they do try to make this a nice place. The carpet definitely needs to be replaced and so did the mattress, but everything else I thought was quite clean. I am glad I knew ahead of time that the breakfast wasn't so great, otherwise that would have been a disappointment. I really did feel like the people who work here care about the place and are trying to make it nice. Because I only wound up paying about $60 for the room, I went away not feeling too badly about it. I would not have been a happy camper paying $120 for our experience.

I will not stay here again for several reasons. Thin floors, thin walls. Uncomfortable, small bed. Smoking is allowed. Poor breakfast compared to other hotels. You might wonder why I still rate it as "average". Well, in my lifetime, I've stayed in some dumps. This is far from a dump. If you are a very sound sleeper and not allergic to cigarette smoke and don't care about the breakfast, you might find this place to be fine. Obviously, a lot of other people did, because the reviews prior to March 2013 were generally pretty good. So take my experience for what it's worth.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am encouraged to read your remarks about the cleanliness of the room and friendliness of the staff. However, I am very sorry that the person in the room above you disturbed you throughout the night. As well, that you found the walls to be thin and a smoke odor in the third floor hallway. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are brainstorming ways to prevent issues such as the ones you experienced in the future. As well, the housekeeping staff is currently working to eliminate the smoke odor on the third floor.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at wbs@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future. Thank you.
Roanoke
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My family and I stayed here overnight while attending the Richmond Symphony. Previous guests have commented on the sticky floors and they are right. This property needs a thorough cleaning with products that don't leave a residue. The room itself, beyond the sticky floors, was acceptable. Everything worked. The staff was very nice and friendly, very helpful. Another problem was the presence of smoking on the non-smoking floor, as well as guests standing around the entrances smoking. There should be a smoking area designated and enforced that is away from entrances so that guests don't have to thread through the smokers and dirty ashtray urns at the entrances. The physical location of this property is rather nice, an office park I think, away from traffic and the strip on Broad but a quick entrance to I-64. There is a Bob Evans adjacent, a good family restaurant for a simple dinner/breakfast. Really, just clean it and it is decent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband were on a 2-week vacation and went to Richmond to immerse ourselves in Civil War history. We had never stayed at an Extended Stay America, so thought we would try it out. The very bare bones is what you get. There is nothing interesting or comforting about this hotel. They have no ice machines in the place, so if you want ice, you must freeze it in the 2 ice cube trays in your refrigerator!

We stayed for 2 nights. We discovered that unless you are staying for a week or 10 days, you get no room cleaning, no trash emptied, and no clean towels!!!! You have to take your trash down to a large can in a "trash room" close to the elevators! I've never experienced a hotel like this, and guess I am used to Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn Express, so this was not the place for us.

Breakfast bar had instant oatmeal you mix with water, a few packed muffins, a little fruit, and some kind of Quaker oatmeal bars. There was no milk or cream for coffee -- just packages of Coffeemate. I guess that since there is no milk on the breakfast bar, that is why they did not even have cereal!

Staff seemed incompetent. When we cheked in, the girl had failed to put paper in the printer, so we had to wait 15 minutes for a stack of other documents to print before we could do the "sign-in sheet". She was also busy on the phone with other customers, so this slowed down our check in. It seemed very disorganized also. Never again for us EVER!

Room Tip: Just avoid this place if you want any creature comforts whatsoever.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon1123
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that our amenities, like the in-room ice trays and grab and go breakfast, did not meet your expectations. Also, I apologize that it was not communicated to you during check-in that housekeeping could be added to your stay on a daily basis upon request for an additional, minimal fee. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have spoken to the staff about the messages we need to convey when guests arrive as well as am currently coaching them on how to streamline check-in.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me, at wbs@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
USA
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days from 4/11-4/16. Where do I begin? Or rather, where does the list end? I am a frequent traveler and with this price-point, I had the appropriate expectations. As a matter of fact, I stayed in an extended stay in the Meadowlands NJ area recently which was a positive experience, so I thought I might give it another try in a different city. What a mistake!

1. Swipe cards for doors NEVER worked. We had to ask for replacements every day. The staff must be used to it, becasue they just snicker and laugh if you ask them the problem.

2. The place is filthy. I am talking sticky floor, never take off your shoes sticky.

3. Housekeeping NEVER comes. Not even on the 3rd day, not even if you request it repeatedly.

4. Basic issues, such as no sheets for the sofa bed, no light bulbs in the lamps, etc. We had to call for these things.

5. Cutlery, dishes, and other kitchen items supplied were either incomplete or broken. We are a group of 2 adults and 2 children, and there were at MOST, three of any particular item (forks, spoons, glasses, cups, etc.).

6. Curtains, shower curtains are filthy and stained.

7. TV and remote did not work. We called it to their attention the 1st day. They said they would send someone the next day. Of course, it never happened.

8. The laundry room has many machines out of order and the supply machine (for detergent, etc.) was also out of order.

9. No inner privacy curtain on the windows. I was on the ground floor, and the air conditioner was blowing the curtain wide open (security and lack of privacy concern). I asked the front desk for paper clamps or clothes pins, or even safety pins from a sewing kit....ANYTHING to close the curtain, as we would have been exposed during the day (people would know when we were not there) and the entire night while we were sleeping by the parking lights outside, and the front desk staff was rude, not helpful and did not offer anything at all. As a matter of fact, my son was told to "just push it back on the air conditioning unit or turn your air conditioning off! I went to the front desk a and told them this was a security and safety issue and my family would not be sleeping by an exposed window like that every night. Finally, I had them give me the office stapler and I stapled the curtain shut!

10. Loose screws and bolts were found all over the floor (from the furniture?).

11. Paint and furniture is so knicked and chipped, it has not been updated in a forever.

12. All blankets and linens had holes in it.

The only positive thing about this hotel is on the 1st night, the staff did try and address our concerns, but this is obviously their training (the obligatory phone call to the room to make sure everything is ok, etc.), because after that, no one ever addressed any of our concerns or were responsive to anything we were asking for.

I cannot believe or explain the positive reviews from the others, except I think many of them must be fake, because this is a rundown property that is not properly maintained, and you should only stay here if you absolutely must be in this exact area (like us), but if I ever have to stay here again, I will explore other options in the area, even if the price is significantly higher, it would be absolutely worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank hundley
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The cleanliness and maintenance issues you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have addressed these issues with maintenance, housekeeping and the front desk to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at wbs@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - South
Quality Inn West End
Quality Inn West End
#38 of 81 in Richmond
Best Western Executive Hotel
WoodSpring Suites Richmond West
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North

Property: Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North
Address: 6807 Paragon Pl, Richmond, VA 23230-1648 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe - Richmond - I-64 - West Broad Street)
Location: United States > Virginia > Richmond
Ranked #55 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Extended Stay, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay Deluxe Richmond - i-64 - West Broad Street Hotel Richmond