“Awful/dreary/depressing hotel”

Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North
Ranked #50 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband were on a 2-week vacation and went to Richmond to immerse ourselves in Civil War history. We had never stayed at an Extended Stay America, so thought we would try it out. The very bare bones is what you get. There is nothing interesting or comforting about this hotel. They have no ice machines in the place, so if you want ice, you must freeze it in the 2 ice cube trays in your refrigerator!

We stayed for 2 nights. We discovered that unless you are staying for a week or 10 days, you get no room cleaning, no trash emptied, and no clean towels!!!! You have to take your trash down to a large can in a "trash room" close to the elevators! I've never experienced a hotel like this, and guess I am used to Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn Express, so this was not the place for us.

Breakfast bar had instant oatmeal you mix with water, a few packed muffins, a little fruit, and some kind of Quaker oatmeal bars. There was no milk or cream for coffee -- just packages of Coffeemate. I guess that since there is no milk on the breakfast bar, that is why they did not even have cereal!

Staff seemed incompetent. When we cheked in, the girl had failed to put paper in the printer, so we had to wait 15 minutes for a stack of other documents to print before we could do the "sign-in sheet". She was also busy on the phone with other customers, so this slowed down our check in. It seemed very disorganized also. Never again for us EVER!

Room Tip: Just avoid this place if you want any creature comforts whatsoever.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon1123
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that our amenities, like the in-room ice trays and grab and go breakfast, did not meet your expectations. Also, I apologize that it was not communicated to you during check-in that housekeeping could be added to your stay on a daily basis upon request for an additional, minimal fee. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have spoken to the staff about the messages we need to convey when guests arrive as well as am currently coaching them on how to streamline check-in.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me, at wbs@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days from 4/11-4/16. Where do I begin? Or rather, where does the list end? I am a frequent traveler and with this price-point, I had the appropriate expectations. As a matter of fact, I stayed in an extended stay in the Meadowlands NJ area recently which was a positive experience, so I thought I might give it another try in a different city. What a mistake!

1. Swipe cards for doors NEVER worked. We had to ask for replacements every day. The staff must be used to it, becasue they just snicker and laugh if you ask them the problem.

2. The place is filthy. I am talking sticky floor, never take off your shoes sticky.

3. Housekeeping NEVER comes. Not even on the 3rd day, not even if you request it repeatedly.

4. Basic issues, such as no sheets for the sofa bed, no light bulbs in the lamps, etc. We had to call for these things.

5. Cutlery, dishes, and other kitchen items supplied were either incomplete or broken. We are a group of 2 adults and 2 children, and there were at MOST, three of any particular item (forks, spoons, glasses, cups, etc.).

6. Curtains, shower curtains are filthy and stained.

7. TV and remote did not work. We called it to their attention the 1st day. They said they would send someone the next day. Of course, it never happened.

8. The laundry room has many machines out of order and the supply machine (for detergent, etc.) was also out of order.

9. No inner privacy curtain on the windows. I was on the ground floor, and the air conditioner was blowing the curtain wide open (security and lack of privacy concern). I asked the front desk for paper clamps or clothes pins, or even safety pins from a sewing kit....ANYTHING to close the curtain, as we would have been exposed during the day (people would know when we were not there) and the entire night while we were sleeping by the parking lights outside, and the front desk staff was rude, not helpful and did not offer anything at all. As a matter of fact, my son was told to "just push it back on the air conditioning unit or turn your air conditioning off! I went to the front desk a and told them this was a security and safety issue and my family would not be sleeping by an exposed window like that every night. Finally, I had them give me the office stapler and I stapled the curtain shut!

10. Loose screws and bolts were found all over the floor (from the furniture?).

11. Paint and furniture is so knicked and chipped, it has not been updated in a forever.

12. All blankets and linens had holes in it.

The only positive thing about this hotel is on the 1st night, the staff did try and address our concerns, but this is obviously their training (the obligatory phone call to the room to make sure everything is ok, etc.), because after that, no one ever addressed any of our concerns or were responsive to anything we were asking for.

I cannot believe or explain the positive reviews from the others, except I think many of them must be fake, because this is a rundown property that is not properly maintained, and you should only stay here if you absolutely must be in this exact area (like us), but if I ever have to stay here again, I will explore other options in the area, even if the price is significantly higher, it would be absolutely worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank hundley
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The cleanliness and maintenance issues you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have addressed these issues with maintenance, housekeeping and the front desk to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at wbs@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently stayed the ESA property on March 19-20. It was based on traveller reviews and property manager response that made my decision for me. I asked for Latisha who came highly recommended in the reviews. She was totally surprised that her name was mentioned more than once by other travellers. She, Handry, and Megan were a pleasant addition to my stay. All were very helpful and accommodating. The hotel was clean, the room comfortable, and the location of the property was well lit, spacious, and clean. I would stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Room facing front of the property is nice and sunny. I love the sun! I heard no traffic noise at al...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Wonderful staff!!! Always came through even the smallest things were attended to promptly. I will recommend to others. Made long lasting friendships and hope to return. Cinfratulations on making my stay pleasant!!! It's not easy being away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013
brish0213, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was very pleased with the staff at this hotel. Everyone was so nice and helpful, especially Latisha. She is very nice and always willingto help. The rooms were very spacious. I never was without something I needed. The hotel was always clean and well kept. I would definitely recommend this place to a friend and I will continue to stay here whenever I am in Richmond, VA.

• Stayed: January 2013

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am very impressed with this hotel. I'll be staying here for 6 weeks so I was looking for somewhere comfortable and clean. This hotel provides both as well as a very helpful and friendly staff and management. My room is spacious and quiet, no excessive traffic!!! I advise anyone traveling thru this area for 1 night or 100 to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed 4 weeks, it really became my Second Home. I can truly say that I am "Part of the Family" now! I know so many people here, and they are now very good friends, I know them and they know me so very well, this review is all about people. I would like to thank ALL of the working force, who are worked so hard to give me and all of you a wonderful stay. People who are working in the kitchen, laundry, maintenance etc Thank You. Thank you Tierra & Katheryn & Tomiko, sorry I can not mention all the other names. Last but not least all the managers, they all took care of me to insure that my time there will always be remembered. The cinnamon bagels care the best!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeff m
brish0213, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - South
Sleep Inn
#35 of 82 in Richmond
Extended Stay America - Richmond - West End - I-64
Best Western Executive Hotel

Been to Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North

Address: 6807 Paragon Pl, Richmond, VA 23230-1648 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe - Richmond - I-64 - West Broad Street)
Location: United States > Virginia > Richmond
Ranked #50 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Price Range: $78 - $108 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay Deluxe Richmond - i-64 - West Broad Street Hotel Richmond