“Very nice accomodations but pricey” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
STOP CLICKING AROUND
Ranked #13 of 88 Hotels in Richmond
frankinton, nc
“Very nice accomodations but pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very nice accomodations but pricey. Breakfast was very good with many choices. Desk personnel very nice and fast. Large TV's in both rooms. Quiet and comfortable facilities. Good parkins near several exits. Atrium pretty and tranquil nice to walk around. Yes we would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your thoughts and comments on your experience at the Embassy Suites Richmond. We are pleased you enjoyed our cooked to order breakfast and large suites and we appreciate your kind words about our staff. We also hope continue to earn your business in the future when you are looking for a hotel in Richmond. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Mendham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here last week , as a stop-over on our drive down to South Carolina on I-95 with two teenagers. I had stayed here previously , when touring University of Richmond. The location was convenient, and the room was very comfortable. The mattresses were nice and firm and everything was quite clean. Breakfast was very good and so quick and easy before our long drive the next day. I also like that there were a couple of restaurants within walking distance. It was snowing and I did not want to drive any further that evening. They were Fridays and Famous Daves - nothing fancy, but good enough for some tired travelers.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The Embassy Suites Richmond is a very convenient stop if you are traveling on I-95 or I-64. We hope to see you again! Warm Regards, Kathleen Lyons, Embassy Suites Richmond
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family of 4 had an excellent time at this hotel!! From the time we walked in we were pleasantly pleased!! Every worker we encountered during our stay were very polite and eager to please!! The hotel was very clean as well as our room. The room was more then big enough for our family of 4 and we loved how you could close the door between the sitting area and bedroom as not to hear 2 TVs going at once!! The bathroom is quite small but its not like you spend much time in there anyway!! The kids loved the pool and I loved the Jacuzzi!! The complimentary breakfast was good...the omelets were great...we went down early both days and never had to wait!! I cant comment on the managers reception as we were always out and about at the time it was held. It is very easy to get to off the highway and is within walking distance to many restaurants. I would definitely stay here again as well as recommend it to others!! Thank You for making our Easter weekend even better!!

• 5 of 5 stars
Dear Valued Guest, We treasure your recommendation at our Embassy Suites Richmond Hotel. We are thrilled to have won you over with the staff’s service, accommodations, and location. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again and thank you for recommending us to others! Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Springdale, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

So I stay at a lot of hotels and maybe I'm a little more critical than the next traveller but a seriously folks, if this is the #9 hotel in Richmond, then Richmond has some real need for upscale hotels.

Let's start by acknowledging that Embassy Suites markets and caters to business travelers. Business travelers generally travel with more than a collection of blue jeans, shorts, and tee shirts. They travel with suits, dresses, etc. Often those items have been cleaned and pressed and need hanging space. The 2 room suite has a very small wardrobe to hang garments in. The wardrobe is so small I was unable to even hang all of my suits in the wardrobe and the items I did get in the wardrobe were so compacted, everything came out wrinkled and creased.

Like all Embassy Suites, the hotel offers a freshly cooked breakfast including made to order omelette's, usually a very nice amenity. Again, this property supposedly caters to business travelers. In the real world business begins at 5, 6, 7AM. The breakfast is not even scheduled to begin until 6:30. Please note I said SCHEDULED to begin. After several days at the property, I can tell you that 50-60% of the breakfast setup is complete by 6:30. One day, I was grabbing a cup of coffee as I was running late for the office at 6:35AM and I watched another guest waiting to order an omelette. He was told by the "chef" that it would be a few minutes. Realistically, you couldn't actually sit down and eat a made to order hot breakfast until 7:00AM most days. If I didn't have to be in the office by 6:45AM, that might work but as a real life business traveler, the "complimentary breakfast" is worthless at 7:00AM.

If you are not familiar with Embassy Suites, they are generally designed as a big open square. All of the rooms open on to a central atrium filled with trees, plants, etc. This atrium is where the breakfast and evening manager's reception are held. Because everything, including entrance to all rooms open to the atrium, all noise created in the hallways and atrium reverberate and echo. Normally with a business crowd, this is not a problem, a few plates clanging in the early morning and social chatter in the evenings. I've come to learn, completely different story Friday and Saturday nights. The "Business Traveler Hotel" becomes "Pre-Teen Soccer Team Central". Literally hundreds of teens and families invade the property running up and down the hallways, yelling, screaming, playing around, etc. Unfortunately the parents are no better. As a perfect example, after being started back to wide awake at the ripe old time 6:20AM Saturday morning, the one day of the week, I actually try to sleep in a bit, I cleaned up and went down to grab a bite of hot breakfast. As I was sitting there trying to eat in some sort of peace at 7:25AM, the soccer mom at the next table thought it best to communicate with her children hanging over the railing on the fourth floor by yelling across the atrium. While I had already had my counting sheep ended hours earlier, I'm quite certain that a guest or two found their slumber end precisely at that moment.

One last general note about the amenities, the hot breakfast I have been able to eat on the weekends was flavorful, fresh, and the staff pleasant. There is a decent variety. The pastries (donuts and Danish) leave something to be desired. They are a step below the mass produced boxed pastries you'll find at the grocery store, hard, not extremely fresh, you get the idea. Everything else works just watch the fresh bananas, many are over ripe. The evening manager's reception includes free "adult beverages" so of course, that works. The snacks are a little repetitive, dips ( some I couldn't even figure out what they were, some sort of cheese spreads), salsa, and crackers. They served some spicy seasoned peanuts one evening. It would have been nice if they labeled them. I thought they were BBQ Corn Nuts until the first small handful nearly heat peeled my taste buds from my tongue. I will undoubtedly ask first next time...

On to the room and the real reason I don't find this anywhere near a top rated property. With the exception of the undersized wardrobe, when first built, furnished, and maintained, this was a 3.5 to 4 star property. Note the caveat, "When First Built". The rooms are now tired, furnishings show considerable wear, maintenance and cleaning leave plenty to be desired. The first thing I saw when I entered the room was a small oval coffee table. As you can see by the photos, it is nicked, scratched, and chipped and this was a preview of what was to come.

The wet bar area which includes the sink, microwave, and mini fridge is past it's prime. The doors don't actually meet and close anymore, again see the pictures. The doors are marked up, cracking, and they overlap as the right door doesn't sit straight anymore. At some point in a previous life the property had to change to lighting as evidenced by an abandoned light switch that now has a mere cover plate. Now you see an aftermarket switch attached to the cabinet near the location of the prior switch. When you flip the switch two small round under cabinet puck lights illuminate. Unfortunately they also illuminate the exposed wires and connectors that also travel along the underside of the cabinetry. Just what I want to see, exposed wiring. As I begin to turn toward the restroom I am greater by the worn fraying carpet surrounding the tiles at the wet bar. See that picture as well.

On to the bath area. I won't call it a room because it's not. It is literally an area approx 4 x 4 with a miniature commode, retrofitted vanity, and shower stall. The commode is so small, the average adult will find it to be almost child size. After 30 seconds I figured out why the commode is so small. If it were any larger, the door would not be blue to open all the way. Literally, the door to the bath area opens and comes within 2 inches of hitting the front of the commode. When opened it does hit the edge of the shower stall. The vanity, while it matches most of the furnishing in the remainder of the room is also very dated, nicked, scratched, etc. it appears at one point in time, there were additional doors or decorations on the front of the vanity that has since been removed to created storage. That would be fine but the retrofit is horrible with exposed edges, and just looks bad. If you enter the area, move to the far right corner so you can actually close the door, you can see behind the door in the corner between the door frame and the shower. Undoubtedly, this is NEVER cleaned because the area is so small, the housekeeper can't get equipment in there and still close the door. Please see the picture and you will see why I say this is surely never cleaned. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

As I moved to the bedroom, I found the same nicks and scratches on the night stand and desk, see those pictures as well. No need to continue pointing out the poor condition of the furnishing. The best place that immediately appeared to plug in phone charger, etc was in a plug near the in room coffee pot. Too bad the plug was broken and when you went to push your plug in, it also moved inward so you were unable to use it. Of course, because it was moving, I'm not sure you would want to use it anyway for fear it would short out. The bed was a typical Hilton Sweet Dreams bed, I believe, which usually offer a comfortable sleep. I say I believe this was a Sweet Dreams bed at least at some point in its life. The bed, like the remainder of the furnishings has seen better years, unfortunately for me, I think those years were in the late 90's.

The last thing I wanted to mention was just a minor annoyance. I happen to be a Hilton Honors Diamond Member (top tier 60+ nights per year in a Hilton Property). Most Hilton properties, including this one, advertise special amenities to Diamond members. One such amenity is a special snack upon arrival. Some properties ask at booking while others ask at check in. This Embassy Suites did neither but upon arrival at my wet bar area, "my special snack" was waiting. Even had the pictured sign which read in part, "Your beverages are waiting to be enjoyed. As a Hilton HHonors VIP benefit, we have placed your requested beverages in the refrigerator for your convenience." Two things, first, look closely at the pictures of the sign, it was reused, has oily stains on the front, wrinkled, and food particles stuck to the back.....ugh.. Second, they never requested my beverage of choice and the only beverages in the refrigerator were two bottles of purified water. For those that don't know, purified water is basically filtered tap water that is bottled and not something I drink so they are sitting in the ice bucket to be recycled and used for the next HHonors VIP.....

You can say I am critical and picky but having spent a lot of nights in a lot of hotels, this is much closer to my bottom ten instead of any top ten. Stay here if you wish. You have the pictures so you decide if I am exaggerating. I just found out I may have to extend my stay in Richmond. I looking for a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Numburz
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your current stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we completely understand that you are unhappy with your current suite. We have taken your comments and shared them with the appropriate team members as we continually work to improve our guest experience. However, we would like to apologize for the breakfast and noise issues as well. We will be sure to work with the appropriate team members to correct these issues going forward. We also want to share with you that we are currently working with a professional furniture company refinishing our guest room furniture and are very close to completing all rooms. While we apologize your room has not been completed, we would like to be able to show you the results, as we are very pleased. We would welcome the chance to speak with you directly, and treasure the opportunity to turn your experience around. We hope you will consider extending your stay with us and speaking with me. We would love the chance to provide a great stay for you. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We recently took a trip where we stayed in six different hotels on six different nights throughout the northeast and in Virginia, so we could really notice the differences in hotels. This hotel wasn't quite up to the standard we would expect, though it was certainly fine for our needs that night. Here are just a few things we didn't care for, followed by the things that we did like:

The clock in the room was set to approximately 12:30AM even though it was 7pm when we arrived. It's a pain to fuss with a clock and should be set correctly by the staff. The remote control could barely function (room 511) and was dusty & grimey (gross). There were not sufficient staff at the desk when we arrived- a line of at least five guests, but only one person to check them in. The same was true at the on-site restaurant: only one server meant to serve 3 people at the bar and a few tables for dinner. We had to wait a long time for our food to arrive. And there's a cold breeze from the front door that flows right into the restaurant, so it's quite cold in there! The room was a little scruffy, but seemed fine, and the beds were comfortable.

Those things aside, we really loved the food in the restaurant. The seared tuna with a sesame seed crust (and wasabi sauce...) was a large enough appetizer that I could have it as my entrée, and it was truly delicious, as was the burger that my teenager ordered. The drinks and snacks at the evening guest reception were nice, and the breakfast buffet and cooked to order omelets were great. Even if there was a shortage of staff (check-in desk and restaurant), the ones there were very gracious and helpful. The wifi worked great. Overall, they got the job done. We just thought it could've been better considering how much we paid for the room, etc.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. While we appreciate your kind words regarding our food & beverage quality, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. We will be sure to address these issues with our team. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have another chance to serve you in the future. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Garner, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I really liked this place! The Rooms as you may know are all Suites; a bedroom and a living room space, with a flat screen TV in each. Good Coffee Maker and small Refrigerator. Nice bathroom, luxury granite-type counter tops and TONS of towels.

The Atrium is beautiful, all very tropical with live plants and a little river with bridges to cross to get from here to there. So cool! Nice indoor pool area with Jacuzzi, and a free breakfast every morning. As someone else mentioned, it is geared toward the business traveler I would say. And I advise it! We had Meetings every day last week in the Meeting area, and each day, in addition to the Free Breakfast, in the common area of the Meeting Rooms they supply a buffet of breakfast pastries, fresh fruit, cereals, coffees, teas, ice water with fruit (in it!), all kinds of refrigerated drinks, and a hot item. But wait, later after lunch they renew the tables with a lunch snack buffet!! This was equally amazing and includes chocolates and chips and dips and veggies, as well as another hot item like meatballs or wings. I ate like a crazy woman! EVERY day. And this is AFTER the free Breakfast Buffet, the catered Lunch, and the available Hot Coffee and Tea selections at night before bed. We didn't do the Happy Hour, but that includes MORE free food AND drinks! Nice.

The beds and linens were very comfortable which is perfect after eating the entire day away (oh yes, and being in meetings).

Nice Place. Friendly Staff. Ample (free) Private Parking Lot. Good Location. Happy (and a little heavier) Guest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for reviewing your experience of the Embassy Suites Richmond Hotel. We take great pride in our Executive Meeting Center; our meeting package offers many options and flexibility. We are also thrilled you enjoyed our suites and some of our other options come with the Embassy Brand and appreciate your kind words about our staff. Hope to see you again if you return for another conference or maybe next time for pleasure. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We thought we would give Embassy another try after our last experience and we were much happier here in Richmond than in San Juan. Employees at both locales were equally as welcoming, the breakfast here was smaller in terms of choices, but it was equally as good. Those Krispy Kreme donuts here were fabulous and there were no crowds in Richmond. We didn't have time to try the pool but it looked clean and inviting. The room was modern and the beds were luxuriously comfortable. WOW. Plenty of free parking and lots of restaurants close by. Go down a couple more exits and you near the Antique mall on Staple Mill Road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from stairwell because the doors would slam very loudly.