“Underwhelmed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 88 Hotels in Richmond
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I visited Richmond this weekend to visit family and was excited to stay at Embassy Suites here. Check in and check out was great, but that was all. The elevators were slow. Upon arrival to our floor, there was construction material outside of a few rooms - on a Saturday night. I could understand if middle of day, but it was close to 9pm. Once in room, light switches didn't turn on lights as expected. We had to use hall light to find lamps to turn on. There was a strange odor in room also. We weren't sure if due to construction few doors down or bus parked outside our window. Considered asking for room change, but after traveling all day, we were just too tired to bother. My sister complained bathroom was too small considering size of room, but was happy about second sink in bedroom. Also walls were thin, could hear people moving around next door. Made to order omelet was ok and nice selection at breakfast, but it was crowded and difficult to find a table. Overall, glad we tried it, but probably won't return to this hotel on next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank bk_essence
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are disappointed to hear your experience left you unlikely to return. We apologize for the items left out on your floor from a project, and we will address the matter. Our walls are poured concrete and generally block out noise from other guests. We apologize that you were able to hear noise next door. A manager on duty is always available if we need to address a noisy neighbor. We do hope there is a chance you will give us another try when back in Richmond, we really want to show you that we can exceed your expectations! Warm Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

For a older hotel, the courtyard of the hotel was extremely beautiful! One of the most beautiful Embassy's that I have stayed at, Embassy is my usual preference when making reservations, due to the suites, and full made to order breakfasts.
The rooms were ready for us when we arrived, and check in was very smooth. I am a silver member, soon to be gold, and I asked for my waters. The desk staff stated that silver members "did not receive waters, and never have." Since I have been traveling quite frequently, and have been handed two waters, without having to ask (for months) I stated that when I stayed at prior Hilton Hotels, I have automatically been given my waters, no questions asked. The again told me, that they do not give silver members water, only Gold and Diamond, so I dropped it.
When we arrived to our rooms, one room was great, and what I would expect from an Embassy Hotel, the other smelled like someone had chain smoked in the room for days, and it permeated the furniture (something that the maid/staff should have known), it was a non-smoking room. It smelled so bad that my eyes were burning, and clearly should have been cleaned better, or changed to a smoking room. I called down to the front desk to ask for another room, and she said she would look for another room, and quickly hung up. I waited for 20 minutes or so for a call back with the new room number, or a bell boy or someone with new keys, but no one came. We were in town for a comedy show we had arranged for our daughter for her 19th birthday, and time was of the essence.
I called down after waiting, and they said the keys were at the front desk, and I needed to come down to get them. I stated that I was waiting for a call, no response. Begrudgingly, I proceeded to go down to get the key , and on the way down, I looked up the parameters of the Silver Hilton Honors program on my smart phone. When I walked up, I caught a glimpse of both women that were at the front, and they both were smirking and laughing, and one mouthed "I told you it was her", meaning to me that I was causing problems because the "water" issue from earlier, and now the "room" issue.
I asked for the new key, and then shared the information about the Silver Hilton Honors program with the employee that was handing me the keys. She then summoned the other employee, and I explained to her that according to the site, I am to get the waters, she stated, "oh, ok, you can get one from the store over there". No sorry, no thank you for letting us know. At this point I asked who the manager of the hotel was, at first I received this deer in the headlights look, so I asked again. We soon left for the comedy show.
When we arrived back at the hotel, I discovered a Embassy box of chocolates and a note apologizing for the "misunderstanding". As far as I am concerned, there was no misunderstanding, just a complete lack of customer service, and feeble attempt to smooth things over!
We slept great, the beds were extremely comfortable and relaxing. We enjoyed the free internet, and the breakfast was outstanding as always! The chef was great, and made an outstanding omelet! If it wasn't for the other staff at this hotel, and the gorgeous hotel itself, this review would have been much, much lower. Needless to say, I may try to find another hotel when, and if, I stay in the Richmond area again. The water really was not a big deal, I think it was the principle behind it and the staff's lack of knowledge in regards to the Hilton Honor program, lack of courteousness required in the hotel industry, as I too was a hotel employee, I know what is expected and demanded in a higher end hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Shelli1970
Dear Valued Guest,
My apologies for your experience with our Hilton Honor’s water benefit and for needing to change rooms and the lack of service you experienced when changing rooms. We are sharing your comments with our staff as we did not meet your service expectations or ours. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our breakfast, found our rooms comfortable, and found value in our complimentary internet. We do hope you will give us another chance and again apologize we fell short at the front desk. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed the weekend of the 9-11. My family loves this hotel and are excited about our trip there every year! As usual the housekeeping service was excellent and they were very polite as was the service at the breakfast and manager's receptions and the bar. The rooms are a great size and clean. The only thing that was not so great was the service at the front desk. It was not as friendly as usual, but it was also not the same staff as in the past. I noticed that not one person was greeted as they came in unless they walked up to the front desk. If this is a new policy, I would change it back. This has never happened before and the front staff is normally excellent!! The hotel is wonderful and it's the only place we will stay. Great job as always!! We'll be back next year!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BCwarrior
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are very pleased you chose to stay with us again and we look forward to your return! Thank you for your feedback as it clearly shows how important everyone’s interaction and performance matters. I will share your feedback with our team as we are always striving to deliver the best experience and apologize we fell short at the front desk.
Warm Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The room size was great but the hotel seemed a little dated. The staff seemed rushed at the front desk to check me in and didn't want to explain any of the details of the hotel. The usual Embassy Suites perks were offered including the evening reception and complimentary breakfast. Overall, a decent experience for an overnight trip.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, thank you for staying with us for your overnight trip. I will share your comments with our staff as our goal is to exceed your expectations beyond a decent experience. We hope you will visit us again if you return to Richmond!
Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Garfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel. The two room suites made you feel more at home than just a regular hotel room. The breakfast was outstanding. We enjoyed the manager's reception as well. The friendliness of the staff in the Lobby and the staff all around the hotel was remarkable. Everyone welcomed you with a smile and a greeting. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. As some of the other reviews noted, the bathrooms are small and some of the furnishings are showing wear and tear. That being said, those two minor issues wouldn't hinder us from staying at this hotel again and again when in Richmond.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, We are thrilled to have won you over with our Embassy Suites Breakfast, Manager’s Reception, comfortable suites, and friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope to see you soon! Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your experience. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The front desk staff was amazing and they knew what they were doing. The room was very large and clean. The only down side is the jungle of plants on the main level. It reminded me of Rambo. It's a minor complaint but I feel if they changed it, it'd make the main level more appealing.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for your thoughts and ideas! I look forward to passing on your feedback to our front desk staff too! We hope to see you again soon.
Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've stayed here twice on business trips. The hotel has the usual Embassy Suites perks - cooked to order breakfast, manager's reception (free drinks) at night, and large suite style rooms. It's located just off Broad Street, which has every restaurant, store and fast food joint you can imagine. 7 miles from the mall, which has more stores and places to eat. Staff was very friendly and helpful when I needed to tack on an extra day to my stay. A lot of people I work with stay at the Westin nearby, but when I return I'll stay at the Embassy again.

One drawback - the bathrooms are small.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest, We are thrilled to have won you over with our Embassy Suites perks, the staff’s service, and location. We would like to thank you for your kind words and we will work to continue to be your hotel of choice in Richmond again and again! Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager