“Nice, but overpriced”

Ranked #22 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Baltimore
“Nice, but overpriced”
Reviewed November 18, 2008

If you're attending an event at the Greater Richmond Convention Center, this is the place to stay. Located literally next door to the facility and offers a skywalk that's convenient in case of bad weather.

The hotel appears to be under some renovation, and I ended up with one of the rooms that wasn't renovated. It wasn't bad, but definitely suffering from the old hotel blues. I'm sure the rooms will be better once they're all renovated. The lobby is impressive and the one thing that stood out is how clean the common areas and rooms are. The bathroom in my room was spotless and it was one of the cleanest rooms I've had in awhile.

Prepare yourself for a lot of extra expenses. The parking is $18.00 for valet service, which takes a long time when you pick up the car. The first time I picked it up the wait was over 30 minutes. Self parking is $16.00 per night. You'll also pay $9.95 a day for internet service (they don't offer WiFi). There is small gift shop that offers some Starbucks items open until 10pm, but again...prepare yourself for very high prices. Room service has a pricey menu and again takes an exceptionally long time to deliver, one morning forgetting to bring a breakfast order. All this with paying $189 per night and that was supposedly a discounted rate.

Overall this is a nice place, but with so many less expensive brands offering free breakfasts, free WiFi and not charging for parking it makes me wonder why this property can't give you a little more for the money. But if you're at the convention center and want convenience, it's probably worth the expense.

• Liked — Clean rooms and location
  • Disliked — Overpriced
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 9, 2008

The staff was extremely courteous and efficient. We were using Marriott points and we received an upgrade - ended up staying on the top floor (18th) with a wonderful vista of the city. The buffet breakfast was more than adequate and the staff had smiles on their faces (even though they were short-staffed).

• Liked — Quiet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 29, 2008

After reading some of the reviews I had the idea that the Marriott would be located in some random and dangerous part of Richmond. While it is not right on the river like some of the hotels, there are things to see and places to eat within walking distance. Also, the hotel provides free van service around the area.

We had just run a marathon so we gladly paid for the valet service and, after hearing someone else remark on how they had tried to find less expensive parking and had not been able to, I was even happier with my decision.

The room was clean. I'm not sure if my room had been updated yet but I certainly did not experience any noise or any inconvenience from the remodeling.

Stayed October 2008
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We booked a room for one night. While beds and the linens were clean and comfortable, the room was quite noisy. There was a loud humming noise all night. I think we were near a heating or airconditioning unit. I thought I wouldn't sleep all night but somehow, probably exhausted from our road trip, we finally fell asleep. Room decor was fine, nothing really special.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I was attending a conference at the Convention Center next door so location was my most important factor in choosing this hotel. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how clean, warm, and friendly this hotel was. Every (and I mean every) employee greeted me - and although I am sure it was hotel policy to do so - it was a genuine hello from everyone. When I did encounter problems they were handled quickly and with zero attitude. For example, the printer in the business section was broken. I went to the front desk and she immediately asked if I had the file on a drive so she could print it out for me.
Room service was quick, HOT, good and affordable. I asked for something not on the menu ( but offered in the restaurant downstairs) and it was not a problem.
USA Today delivered to the door, coffee maker in the room, a shower with strong water pressure, easy to access internet in the room ($9.95) all a plus for this business traveler. I almost panicked when I couldn't find a blowdryer in the bathroom, but it was there hanging in the closet.
Parking is in the garage in the back and is not validated by the hotel. (16.00 a night) The garage does take a credit card so I didn't have to find an ATM for cash.
All in all, I was really impressed. It certainly wasn't the cheapest room in Richmond, but I got full value for what I paid.

• Liked — Service was excellent.
  • Disliked — Except for the Convention Center next door, there really isn't anything else around to do within walking distance.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Econruth
ctyadmcc
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I stayed at the Richmond Marriott for 4 nights in September '08 for a conference. Overall it was a good value for the rate. The room was nice, bathroom was good, bed was comfortable. It's always annoying when hotels charge for internet, and this Marriott follows the herd. Why places like Hampton Inn can provide free internet and the moderate to high end hotels can't has always boggled my mind. Staff was very friendly and sincere. Room service was mediocre, but dining opportunities nearby are extremely limited. Valet did a fine job.
As a conference destination, Richmond was fairly disappointing. The convention center is across the street, but there is little for restaurants or upscale bars. No sandwich shops, no pharmacy, just a run down retail area of no real interest to visitors. You have to walk about a half mile or more towards the capitol to find anything.
I was pleased with the Richmond Marriott and they try hard. They just have a lousy location.

• Liked — Classy hotel
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank ctyadmcc
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 21, 2008

I paid $55 for this hotel on priceline and it was well worth the price. The website wanted 275.00 for the night. The rooms are standard Marriott rooms with nice bedding. There was an indoor pool and fitness area on the 2nd floor that we did not use.

Tips: Do not valet park. I saw the valet wreck someone's rental car into the pole outside the hotel. So did a dozen other people waiting outside. The self parking garage is $14 per day and connects to the Marriott on the 3rd floor of the garage. Better option for you. See other review

They have a shuttle that will take you wherever you need to go and it runs every 10 minutes. The shuttle driver gives you his business card and you just call him when you need picked up. Since there is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel for dining, we had him take us to Shockhoe Slip where there is lots of nice dining all different price levels. We chose The Hard Shell which is will review separately.

We walked to the National Park - Tredegar Iron Works and it was semi interesting. It was about 2 miles and not much to see along the way. That area of the waterfront had nothing else. We walked for miles in Richmond and there are no shops, boutiques, pubs, restaurants as you would see if most downtown areas of most cities. There is tons of construction going on. Mostly tearing down old buildings. There appears to be alot of poverty in Richmond also so some areas I did not feel safe in. There were several hotels in the DT area. The city itself needs a revitalization effort.

Stayed August 2008