“Decent Stay Except for One Important Thing”
Review of Richmond Marriott

Richmond Marriott
Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A bright open lobby. My friends did not like the restaurant in the lobby. Overall comfortable room but I was dismayed by mildew in the grout in the bathroom. Very disappointing. The counter in the bath seemed low as well. The front desk staff was friendly. I have to say while the person helping me was friendly she was a bit clueless about by simple requests yet she did accommodate me after I had to be very specific. For instance, if one is leaving a note for a guest rather than handing me a post it to write the note hand me paper with an envelope that can be slipped under the guest's door by the staff.

The hotel location is central but on a one way street making access to the garage very awkward. One has to drive a couple of blocks away to turn to park in the garage in the next block that has adjoining bridge to the hotel. One can't turn directly out of the hotel driveway to the parking garage. Haven't seen more awkward set up to get to parking, but once parked the parking was convenient with the adjoining bridge.

Overall it was a pretty decent stay except for the mildew.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 11, 2013

First off, I have to say that my review is colored by the fact that I am never a fan of the excuse from a hotel "we have a big group here tonight". As if that were a bad thing and something out of the ordinary for a hotel. I always feel like inquiring, "have you ever had big groups here before?"

Even so, I understand big groups can stress a hotel, but if that's the case then don't promise me room service in 30-40 minutes, and make me call down after an hour to find out you don't know what's going on and can't really give me an estimate on my food getting there. Up front tell me to go eat somewhere else if I want prompt service. Okay, I'm done with my rant.

This is pretty much the same Marriott you would find in any other small(er) city. This hotel unfortunately suffers from a location that puts you at least 1/2 mile from any restaurant, and many of the storefronts along the way are vacant or going out of business.

As a side note, we were putting on an event at this hotel and the a/v guy was late, not prepared, and adjusting mic levels after we had started - unprofessional.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great staff, clean rooms and wonderful location.
i have been travelling to Richmond 3 of evey 4 weeks a month now for the past 18 months. The Downtown Marriott is my favorite place to be. Parking attendants, bellhops, front desk and concierge staff are very friendly and helpful and seem genuinely glad to see me when I show up. The location is right on the edge of great restaurants and fun bars and the shuttle will take you anywhere in the area. Rooms are clean and fresh and most importantly, consistent. I always know what I am getting when I stay at the Marriott in downtown Richmond.

Room Tip: The 17th and 18th floor have rooms with bay windows and floor to ceiling glass making these rooms fe...
1  Thank sailorinKS
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had a wonderful stay here. Everything was so clean and the staff was very friendly from the front door coming in to walking me to the car when leaving. I will stay again for sure! I'm not one to write reviews, but really felt the need to today!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank billpl
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I travel for work, and I always stay at the Marriott. There are a couple reasons.

1. Location - It is right downtown off all the major roads. While many can consider the area sketchy, there are a lot of up and coming restaurants and bars in walking distance. There are some great running routes that offer flats, hills, and more. Need a larger gym than what is offered? Walk on over to the YMCA which is only a few blocks away.

2. The Staff - They are the friendliest staff I've ever met. Early on I thought they were being disingenuous, but they are really THAT friendly. They go the extra mile for every guest. I am fortunate to have access to the lounge. Unlike most Marriott hotels, this lounge offers real meals that are unique and not just some fried chicken fingers.

1  Thank ACoonin
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I travel frequently for business and always look for a home away from home. This hotel far exceeded my expectations. Upon arrival the staff was prompt, professional and very friendly. I received concierge access and was very pleased by what they had to offer throughout the day. The hotel, my room, restaurants and the concierge room was well maintained and clean. If ever I return for personal or business matters, I will stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: The beds are incredibly comfortable!
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have been coming to Richmond every week for the last 22 months now and have tried many hotels in the area and finally decided to be with THIS Marriott hotel because of their great staff! After a point of time (and after being on the road for so long) every hotel may have an issue or two...rooms, bed sizes, mattress, etc, what really differentiates is the service. The staff at this hotel are so receptive to your requests, polite and really friendly that I joke with some of them that this is family away from family. To my surprise they greet everyone at the front desk or the concierge with the same enthusiasm which tells me that they really invest in making sure we the patrons are comfortable and are attended do. This is a great hotel. I have been thinking of switching to starwoods properties for a while for they have good points redemption system worldwide but it's this Marriott hotel in Richmond and their attentive staff because of which I have not been able to switch in the last 16 months.