“Excellent Customer Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Staunton, Virginia
“Excellent Customer Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott for two nights during a conference I attended there. Every staff member was attentive and helpful. When you came into the lobby, they would each make a point of greeting you. The hotel location is excellent. We walked/ran to the river. There was a shuttle to take us to Shockoe Bottom and he came and picked us up when we called. I highly recommend this venue for any stay in downtown Richmond.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Covington, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I (and family) stayed at the Richmond Marriott this past weekend while in for the NASCAR race at the Richmond International Raceway. It was a very good stay. Richard, who was our bellman, is great! He was very pleasant and very informative. I think he is the Bellmen Supervisor at the hotel. The other staff and service was ok -- from check in to valet. Valet is I think quite expensive at $25 per night. My husband and I both work at resort so we understand that hospitality, service, and personalization is key to making a good or ok stay into a great stay for a guest! It was very surprising to me that this hotel was quiet (didn't have trouble sleeping at all) even though it seems to be right in the middle of the action in Richmond. Our room was a traditional guest room with two queen beds. Very nice and well kept. The hotel was very busy though that weekend with other race fans. We did not dine at the sports bar that is inside the hotel. The only place we dined at there was the Starbucks for breakfast (very friendly staff there also!!).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I'm a road warrior who stays in hotels 200 nights a year for work, usually at Marriott or Hilton affiliated properties. (Marriott Platinum & Hilton Diamond member)

I've had 2 separate multi-night stays at the Richmond Marriott, and would definitely put it in the top 1/3 of domestic Marriott properties. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms immaculate and finely appointed, the beds comfortable, and the hotel very well maintained. I was very pleased with my experience.

The hotel itself is in a rather quiet part of downtown -- there isn't much happening in the immediate vicinity besides the convention center. The hotel does have a free shuttle that will take you to/from the restuarant district should a little nightlife be your fancy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dawsonville, Ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Were not used to nicer hotels so any descrepencies may have gone unoticed. But we were pretty happy overall. I asked on 3 occasions to have something done or fixed and they responded right away. It was fixed not only that day but the time they asked ME for. Air wasent cold enough, they fixed it, Forgot my phone charger in the car, they went and got it. Room was not made by the time we got back, it was fixed in 1 hour while we went swimming. Parking seemed high at 25 but was worth it to me, parking can be such a hastle in a city. Now I was disapointed in no free wifi in the rooms only the buisness area. Hard to research a trip from a smart phone even. Great spot downtown in my opinion but right on the edge of the "tracks" If you walk in the right direction, no problem. Bathroom seemed a bit small for a nicer hotel but the room was good size, no fridge however, might want to check on that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philly Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed one night at Marriott in downtown Richmond. The best going for it was location across from Convention Center, which could account for why they feel it is okay to charge large rates and give nothing with it. Parking was $25.00, Internet was $12.95, and of course no free breakfast. All of those features I can get for free at place that charges much less. Room was pleasant but needed work. Sink had huge crack in bowl, TV had fuzzy reception, noise from other rooms was bothersome. I could hear all the conversations up and down the hall as people walked around and talked. Soundproofing an issue. Bed not particularly comfortable. Service downstairs was excellent, but in some cases wrong. My company paid for room in advance. I was told the room was not paid for, and the person checked and said yes, not paid for. I hauled out my laptop and showed a manager the receipt I had been sent. Then the manager discovered that the room was indeed paid in advance. The friendly staff, especially the parking people, cannot make up for overpriced rooms, faulty information, and facilities not up to 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carl949
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I am a Marriott rewards member and stay in Marriott hotels around the world and have to say this is either the best or the #2 best I've stayed in without question. All the basics you can count on; room was extremely clean, rooms and spaces were spacious, etc. But what sets this Marriott apart from almost all others is the amazing customer service. I stayed for 3 nights and every single staff member said 'hello' to me every time I walked by, I actually started to avoid staff members because I was busy. The front desk staff anticipated my arrival and had everything ready, I had to decline constant offers of assistance with bags, directions, etc. The restaurants are high quality and the location in the city is perfect for site seeing the historical sites.

This Marriott and it's amazing staff should be used as a training model for other Marriotts; many other Marriott's are good; this one is great. I don't get to Richmond very much, but whenever I do; I will stay here without question. My only regret is upon my departure, I couldn't find the manager to express my experiences to them directly.

This staff is awesome. Period.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hotel has a great location next to the convention center and a easy short walk to the Thomas Jefferson designed Virginia State Capitol. Very nice sports bar and starbucks in the hotel. Down side is parking and internet. Parking is $18 self parking or valet $25 with internet costing $12, which is a large increase in your stay. When booking online, opt for the extra $10 fee which includes valet parking and internet. Richmond Coliseum is next door, perfect for seeing a Raiders game or concert.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Scott_Paradine, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback MitziLinka, and thank you again for your recent visit to Richmond! I'm guessing you were here for Cirque du Soleil at the Richmond Colisuem. How was the show?
I am glad that you found our location to be convenient and enjoyed the service in T-Miller's Sports Bar & Grill and Starbucks. As you noted, we offer package rates for those looking to save by including both parking and Internet in their guestroom rate. I hope that the next time you're in the Richmond area, we'll be able to have you as our guest once again for another fantastic weekend. If so, you'll notice yet another improvement, as we're installing BRAND NEW BEDS in all 410 rooms this week!

Thank you again for your business and your feedback.