“OMG I'm glad it was a late check in,” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South

Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South
Ranked #75 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Baltimore, Maryland
“OMG I'm glad it was a late check in,”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

I needed a place to stay just for the night. My wife refused to take off her clothes to go to bed. When we arrived a motorcycle club was at the "Action Lounge" next to the bulding. You know the other side of the picture that they don't show you. We should have known it was going to be one of those nights when we noticed two police cruisers at the entrance and two more on the property. The non-smoking room smelled like smoke. The towels were questionably clean. There was actually no shelf for them. The carpentry n the room was terrible and the door looked like it had been kicked in an poorly repaired. Never again! And this wasn't the cheapest room for tonight. Tomorrow I will demand my money back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank revjoe
abvirichmondsouth, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know that your stay was not up to your expectations. We apologize for this and will certainly look into your comments and take any appropriate action. It is our goal to provide all of our guests with quality service and comfort at an exceptional price.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make any necessary improvements and will stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located throughout the country.

Regards,
B.R. Patel-Owner
Americas Best Value Inn-Richmond, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

The people who wrote good reviews about this location must have the WRONG motel! I was looking for a cheap room, and the motel didn't look bad from the highway. I checked in and asked for a room away from the highway noise. The back of the main building and the separate building behind it looked like GHETTO APARTMENTS or a DRUG HANGOUT. Poor maintenance, people standing around like they had nothing else to do. Inside the room, the door was broken, holes in the walls, door locks that had been busted and haphazardly replaced. I felt in danger. I immediately went back to the office and they gave me a refund.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Ready2GoTravel2
abvirichmondsouth, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We take the safety of our guests very seriously, so I apologize if you felt uncomfortable in any way. I'm glad that we could refund your room right away, but I wish we would have made a better impression. Quite some time has passed since your review, and we've had the opportunity to make some updates and around the hotel to improve our guests' experiences. If you're ever in the Richmond area, I hope you'll give us another try and check out some of the improvements we've been making.

B.R. Patel

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

I have never left a hotel early because of the condition of the place until I booked a room at this hotel (I based my choice on reviews seen on this website-all hotel rooms are DEFINITELY not equal here). The building I was put in (there were two buildings-I was in the back building) was in bad shape. I had to go up a scary set of dark stairs to get to my room and when I got inside it was dark, smelled like mold and who knows what else, and everything was stained. The blanket was threadbare, the carpet filthy, and the chairs covered with some unidentifiable stains. The air conditioner rattled and even kicking it would not make it stop. It was about 100 degrees outside that day, and the air conditioner was not working too well even on high, so it had to be at least 80 degrees in the room. I stayed in the room approximately 10 minutes (trying to decide where to get dinner since I DID NOT want to be outside this building after dark, and also where to park my car since I wanted to be able to see it out the window but didn't want it too close to the building because of potental vandalism) when I left and went to another one up the street. I gladly payed more money for this room at the second hotel since I wouldn't have to barricade the door to ensure my safety. Typically I don't have particularly high standards when it comes to hotel rooms (I'm cheap and travel a lot), but this place was absolutely unacceptable. The only good thing about it was that they did not hassle me when I checked out and asked for a refund 15 minutes after I got there.

This hotel has two buildings, so the one attached to the lobby may have had better, updated rooms than the second building where I was, but the room I was given was most definitely the worst I have ever been in.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank hlo-NC
Chesapeake,Va
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

Needed a place to stay in the Richmond Airport Area overnight. Read some recent reviews for this hotel and I thought I couldn't go wrong for the price. The room was run down, dingy, with old, busted up furnishngs. The night stand was chipped, one of the armchairs was broken, There was crumbs and other debris behind the furntiure. Didn't want to take my socks off because the carpet looks like it had years of grunge built up on it. The bathroom was clean but had that scuzzy look to it with old tiles and decades worth of caulk everywear. The cooling unit worked but was very loud and obnoxious. The room smelled old and musky and the room had that thick air about it. Glad my stay was for only one night. Not a very enjoyable experience.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank nukerefueler
Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

I should have known this "great deal" I found was too good to be true. It was only $45/nt. (in a part of the country where $100+ is the norm), but that didn't make me suspicious, because I noticed that most of the hotels/motels close to this exit off I-95 were the same price. The photos on this motel's website looked good, and the review I read on TripAdvisor said it was pretty good. It's rated 3 stars, and the franchise has many locations across the country. Turns out to be the worst motel I've stayed in in the United States. And I don't even have very high standards! The gal at the front desk was so incompetent, spacey, and out-of-it, I suspect she was stoned on drugs. All three of us (different parties) waiting at the front desk to check in experienced a problem w/our check-in (she couldn't find the reservation, or was unable to make a new reservation, couldn't figure out the computer, etc.). We had reserved two rooms, one of which had to be vacated immediately, because of the extreme filth: crusty substance on the carpet, dried liquid running down fronts of dressers, bad smell... the rooms we ended up w/were not much better. I'm someone who happily takes a long, hot, bubble bath in the tub when I stay in hotels, but couldn't consider it in this dirty-looking tub. We had two tvs in the room--apparently one broke, and they didn't feel like removing it. Just generally unclean feel in room. We had to call front desk twice to ask girl to enable our room phone to call out of motel--she never did manage it for my Dad's room, although we asked 4 or 5 times about his phone.
Area around motel is run-down (perhaps dangerous?--or maybe I'm just unfamiliar w/the environment surrounding truck-stops--this appeared to be a favorite motel of truckers. We did NOT feel comfortable having our small children there, safety-wise). Vacant hotel next door, a falling-apart, weed-strewn "tennis court" behind our motel, dirty, paint-chipped outdoor corridors...all conveyed a feeling of apathy was deeply unpleasant when staying in a motel with young children.
Thank God it was so cheap. Although it should have cost even less--like $20/nt.
I would definitely not stay here again. Only conceivable market for this place are males travelling without children, (doesn't feel safe for children or for women alone), who arrive late and only intend to sleep and then head out again early the next morning. Nothing else near this exit of I-95 except some gas stations, a Waffle House (w/limited hours), and some other motels, unless we just didn't see it. Appeared to be just highways all around--didn't see any businesses, tourist destinations, scenic views, or places of interest anywhere close to this exit.

• Liked — Close to I-95
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of room, run-down environment around motel
  • Tips/Secrets — Pay more ($90) to stay at Best Western at same exit
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank MissiMMW
West Warwick, RI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for only 1 night to cut my trip from Atlanta to Rhode Island in half. I chose it because it was very inexpensive and the map showed it as right off of the highway.
All in all, I was satisfied with my stay at this hotel. It literally is right off of the highway, which was excellent. There was a gas station across the street and not much else around.
The girl that checked us in was not very friendly. She seemed like all she wanted to be doing was filing her nails and snapping her gum. Check-in was very quick though. We were given a handicapped room for some reason, but it was non-smoking so it worked for us. The room was clean... the bedspread had cigarette burns in it though. The bed was not overly uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say it was comfortable. There were chairs in the room too, but they were horribly uncomfortable.
The bathroom was very large and pretty clean. The fixtures were old, but not falling apart. There was a microwave in the bathroom, for some reason. There was also a hair dryer that had a "property of Ramada Inn" sticker on it. There was a refrigerator in the room, but it wasn't plugged in when we got there, so it took a couple of hours to get cold.
The TV was big and got all the channels in clear.
All in all, the hotel was no more than what I expected. I was not looking for a place to settle in for a few nights or to visit Richmond. This was simply a place to sleep before continuing my trip and it served its purpose.

• Stayed March 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Vero4902
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Sleep Inn
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#56 of 81 in Richmond
Super 8 Chester/Richmond Area

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South? Share your experiences!