“bed bugs!!!!!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South
Ranked #78 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went and was eat up by bed bugs over 50 bites. Went to hospital. have pictures and emergency room proof. Was lied to by owner, health dept. went and found them in my room.I will see them in court!!!!

Room Tip: drive by to next hotel
Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
abvirichmondsouth, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Rachael, we do not take the health and safety of our guests lightly. At the time of your visit, we had not had other complaints of bed bugs. Hygiene is very important to us, and we routinely have a licensed pest control company treat our rooms. I apologize for any miscommunication surrounding this issue; please know that we are following up on your feedback. Thank you for your time.

Americas Best Value Inn Management

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is the nastest place I have ever stayed at.. if there are any good comment for. The hotel, they have to be from the family living!!!!there!!!! Those rooms are so nasty I took a towel and went aground the bathroom ; tub and sink and it was black as black could be. just dont walking around in. White soccks, you can hang them up out to scare the rates this place has..wwhen I went to front disk to show him the towels he looked at us as is wee were lieing to,,,,,, Oh ya jjust a great pleace to stay away from unless your his family then u might get a nice room were the wall sockets work.. hope u don't want ti blow dry your har. Run , run home!! Before you bbring home more things than u would like

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Jackie G
abvirichmondsouth, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear JackieG,

Thank you for sharing a traveler opinion with us. I am deeply concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. We take each complaint seriously. We are planning to do some work including painting, deep-clean bathrooms, and some exterior work such as painting parking spaces, entrance doors, upgrading our lighting, and expanding our breakfast area. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I am not a picky traveler. I enjoy camping and hostels, and I often find hotels luxurious.

Since this was a cheap, one-night, Expedia-booked stay, I assumed nothing would be worth complaints.

It's a pretty basic motel. Basic problems that aren't fully worth mentioning first... Room wasn't cleaned. No soap, shampoo, towels, etc.

Pubic hair in the sink and toilet. Cockroaches (alive) running the walls.

I actually wouldn't have even bashed it. Until I moved the table and saw the blood stains covering the floor. The window and door do not provide adequate safety. A man mowing the lawn earlier made obscene gestures at me and made me fake as though I occupied a different room.

The lack of hygiene is one thing, but something you may expect at a cheap place, the fear for your safety has me recommend you question expanding your budget.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank blahblah65

Dear blahblah65,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share a review with us. I apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay. We are making some improvements, including retraining our housekeepers. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was to disgusted with the establishment that I didnt stay the night. I called around and made arrangements to stay with someone else and that is how I am able to write this today. The room itself looked and smelled old and of mildew. The front desk was falling apart and there were a lot of places around the room where I saw roaches. I couldnt see myself staying the night in that place. For the price I guess you get what you pay for, but I have paid the same for establishments. I would not recomend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
1  Thank Rasheedah Sgt J

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for posting a review with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you had with us. We do have a licensed pest company which routinely treats the rooms. My only regret is that we were not given an opportunity to address any issues you had mentioned prior to you cancelling your reservations. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations.

Reviewed November 16, 2011

Yea, I saw the reviews and thought I'd check it out. I looked at the room before I paid for it, but like others say here.. it's awful.

Room was disgusting, drops of unknown substances stuck to walls in various places. Sheets and pillowcases were stained and yellow, pillows were completely flat as well. Carpeting was stained. It must seem like I'm dwelling on the stain subject, but it's all there for you to see. The toilet seat was stained... and it appeared to me that they took sandpaper and tried to sand the stain out.. making a rough surface that WILL collect all manner of filth and bacteria. I was putting up with all of this as best as I could by using my sleeping bag on top of the covers and wrapping one of the nasty pillows with a fleece throw blanket (which I plan to throw out now). Then the last night I slept there there was a roach crawling right down the wall above the TV. I got up the next day trying to forget about that. While dressing a guy started pounding on the door hollering "pest control"... in the neighborhood this place is in it wouldn't seem outlandish to think this could be a robbery attempt.. but the man was really toting around a couple gallons of pesticide which he intended to spray in rooms that were OCCUPIED as well as vacant. I refused the man with the sprayer and he told me to make sure I told the operator because he didn't want to get in trouble for missing a room. That makes me think he was told to spray in peoples rooms. I witnessed the pesticide man entering other peoples rooms, while they were in there, and spray... and it didn't seem to me that they were advised that pesticide is poison and they shouldn't be there getting exposed to it.

I suppose this complaint could fit into a couple of categories other than housekeeping, but that was the first thing I noticed. I was putting up with the filth as best I could until the pesticide guy came along. I find it highly offensive and disturbing to find out by chance that proprietors in your hotel chain will hand out a master key to someone and allow them to enter your room, without your knowledge (I just found out because I was there because I'm working nights) and also allow them to spray poison while your clothing, food, and other personal possessions are still in the room.

The pesticide was the final straw, I went to the front desk and requested a refund for the remaining time of my stay which I cannot use due to an overall complete disgust with the place. I was told by the man at the front desk that I owed him $40 for checking out early as he argued with me that my weekly rate would not be prorated. I paid $225.05 for 7 days and could only convince myself to hang in there for 5. Cheap, but not worth it.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank K H

K, guest feedback is incredibly important to us, no matter how much time has passed since your stay. I was concerned to read your review, and I assure you that we have followed up on the issues you've included. We do have routine visits by a licensed pest control company, but it is not acceptable to us for rooms to be sprayed during our guests' stays. I'm sorry that we were unable to come to an agreement regarding the price of your visit, but please know that your concerns have not gone unnoticed. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Americas Best Value Inn Management

Reviewed October 6, 2011

I should have looked on here before staying at this sleezy motel, but everything was done so last minute and when we called to inquire about the facilities and the pricing the guy on the phone lied and said nothing but good things about this place to lure us in! First of all be warned there is a club right next door, literally about 10 steps away, you can look out your room door and talk to the people on line waiting to get in! The rooms are soooo dirty, it smells moldy, the carpets are disgusting, the blankets looked un-washed, there are no fitted sheets on the beds just a thin flat sheet thrown over what looks like a prison mattress. Don't be fooled by the furniture either that was dirty as well, I didn't want to sit on it.

This place gave me the creeps I felt as if we were arrested and got locked up in jail for the night. I literally threw the blankets on the floor and slept on the thin flat sheets in my sweats with my socks on and my hoodie on my head to avoid anything touching my body while laying on that bed. All I kept thinking was omg there is a club right next door so people coming out of there late nights are possibly using these rooms for their "after parties". I felt so disgusted but could do nothing about it because we already paid for the rooms.

I was scared to turn the shower on in the nasty bathroom for fear of what may happen or what may come out of the pipes. When I finally did and took my shower the water felt like needles hitting my body and the shower curtain was a thin fabric that got soaked when wet and water would go all over the bathroom floor. This place is a disgusting nightmare so I wanted to warn fellow travelers please unless you really truly have no choice at all don't stay here...it to me was the equivalent of what spending the night in jail on a prison mattress would be. I have added pics which still can't really show you how disgusting this place was... best thing about this place that did help us was the mini fridge and microwave that's all. Oh yeah DO NOT use their towels they just look dirty, if you still stay here after reading all these bad reviews, just make sure to bring your own towels...I'm glad we unknowingly carried our own towels on this trip. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: I doubt this place has any "Good Rooms"
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank BrooklynMaMi
abvirichmondsouth, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Dear BrooklynQtee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative housekeeping experience. We do have a Cuban Restaurant located adjacent to the property. It is independently owned and operated. The restaurant is very nice and well maintained. This is only dine-in restaurant available on this exit. We feel that this is an added benefit as guests can literally walk next door. I regret that we weren't able to meet your expectations.

B.R.-GM
Americas Best Value Inn-Richmond, VA

Reviewed September 16, 2011

We asked to see the room before checking in, but should have checked deeper. Not clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DB67154

Dear DB61754,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. I regret that we did not meet your expectations. Feedback from our customers tells us what we are doing right and where we can improve. Should you return to the Richmond area in the future, I would like to offer you a complimentary one-night stay. Please contact me directly if you have any questions.

B.R.-GM