“Hyatt's Answer to Roadside Motel Chains”

Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Just returned from two nights at the Hyatt Place. I believe it is Hyatt's answer to roadside motel chains. Locations was great once you got a feel for the area. It is very hard to find at first. Get good detailed directions! Safe, secure location with ample parking. Check in was a breeze. Polite staff. Nicely decorated lobby. Sort of reminded me of a Starbucks. Ample seating, 24 coffee/snack bar, two internet terminals, and a TV. Room was a bit small for a queen room. Small closet and cramped bathroom. Nicely decorated and clean. Very thin doors! This was a problem as we were near the extremely slow elevators! What do folks do while they wait for an elevator? They talk! Ask for a room away from the elevators! Free breakfast was average. Fruit, yogurt, Starbucks coffee, cereal, muffins, bagels, etc. You could pay for more complicated fare. Also, this hotel was packed full! A wedding, a reunion, a sports tournament, and religious retreat. Relaxing it is not, so check beforehand if you want to avoid crowds!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2009

This hotel is in a small revitalized area of a run down part of town. The hotel itself seems safe and was clean. The staff is OK...not particularly friendly...but not horrible. If you are on the road with teenagers...this offers a great deal of room for the price. We travel a lot and will be considering other properties in the chain due to the room size. Easily fits two parents and three teens on the two queen size beds and enormous pull out couch-sectional sofa. The beds were very comfortable...almost plush.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Let me start off by saying that my teenage sons left some articles of clothing in their room and the hotel found them and mailed them - on their dime - to our house. Now that is service!

We booked this hotel through hotwire for an absolutely rock-bottom rate. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much. Maybe that's why we enjoyed it so much!? Check-in was slow but not a huge deal. We got two rooms - down the hall from each other - one for me, my husband and younger son, and one for my 3 teenage sons. The rooms were plenty big, very nice looking, clean and lots of places to sleep. Our room was a king with a full pull-out sofa; the boys' room had two doubles and a full pull-out sofa so they each had their own bed. There was a small fridge (but no microwave), sink, a kitchenette-type table for working or eating, a sitting area with large flat-screen tv that swiveled so you could watch it from the bed or the sofa, and the bed area, plus a bathroom with commode and tub/shower and a dressing area, which is separate from the bathroom.

We used the pool both days. It is a very basic outdoor pool - nothing special and not perfectly clean - but adequate with towels to use for the pool area.

The free continental breakfast is pretty bad. There's almost nothing - bread, bagels, juice, cereal and some marginal fruit. They charge for anything above and beyond that and it was obvious that they make a good profit on the food they sell so they don't offer much for free. My kids ate pizza from them one night for a midnight snack and although it was marginal and expensive, they really liked that they could go down there with nothing but their key card and get some munchies. As much money as we saved on the nightly rate... well, it was worth the money for them to have some freedom to get food when they wanted it.

I don't really have any major complaints except that, where the hotel is located, you have to take toll roads to get from Richmond to there, and from there to Richmond. We went into town several times so spent more on tolls than I would have liked. Other than that, we were very pleased with the hotel and the hotel staff. If you're paying a full rate, you may be disappointed with some aspects of the place, but if you get it for cheap on hotwire, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I am very disappointed because of the way I was treated during my stay at your hotel. I have a number of concerns. For one, I was left in my room while the fire alarm went off. I was not notified or no one knocked on the door to check to see if we were in there or not. I was billed for $246.34, I was suppose to receive a discount for attending the Jehova Witness Convention. But I did get a credit per Karl for the fire alarm incident. Not for attending the Convention.

I would like to know can I still receive the original discounted credit for attending the Convention. I was inconveinced due to the elevator breaking down. I was staying on the fourth floor.

Overall besides my prior complaints, my stay there was decent.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank leshunfab
Reviewed January 21, 2009

This hotel was recommended by the Bride for her family and friends. Our room was beautiful! It was clean, spacious and very relaxing. All the staff were very helpful. We had a nice breakfast before we went on our way.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 4, 2008

This is a rather run-down Hyatt. The staff is not particularly friendly. The rooms have the large flatscreen tv, but they are rough around the edges.

I had just an OK stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We have stayed in Hyatt Places in the past and found them usually new and modern, generally fairly pleasant. We chose the HP in Richmond while on a road trip, thinking it would be better than the choices in the area. Sadly, the room smelled like it had a moisture problem (mold or recently cleaned rug?) and although we booked a king sized bed (and there are still rooms with king sized beds showing up on the hotel's website) the management claims that none are available and that all the rooms smell this way. (?) If this had been our only Hyatt Place experience, it would be the last. Based on other reviews, recent ones no less, we can hardly wait to see what they run out of for breakfast in the morning! Passing through Richmond in the future, we'll pass by this Hyatt Place.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple