“Nice Average Hotel for the Price”

Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Los Angeles
“Nice Average Hotel for the Price”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This location was a one night stopover between two Hyatt Regencies that we stayed at and suffered as expected in comparison. It was a stormy night when we arrived with some powerful thunderstorms and there was some major leaks near the concierge area that made the initial impression pretty unappetizing. The staff however were cheerful and accomodating as we tried to get into the hotel during the deluge.

Our rooms were spacious with the all-important pull out sofa bed available for odd kid #3 which appears to be going out of style unfortunately in most hotels. The room was tired, it felt lived in especially the bathroom. It was just on the line of acceptable where I noticed but it didn't bother me overly. The entire hotel felt that way to me. The TVs were new(er) and we actually have a business hotel that understands that free Wi-Fi has to be part of the service.

Overall it was a middling experience that I wouldn't call bad but under no means would I describe it as the place to stay if you have other choices and a higher per diem. If price is your #1 priority then the Hyatt Place is a good place to stay in the Richmond area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ramblindave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Austin TX
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed our first two nights at another hotel and found this one much closer to family. Was greeted by an extremely friendly and competent staff on arrival and was impressed with the attitude of the entire staff other than the housekeepers. Hotel was reasonably well kept with a unique lobby that was a front desk area combined with a deli type area and seating for eating (breakfast buffet also) with a small bar that served beer and wine!
Price was reasonable @ an average of 85 per night.
Housekeeping was bad as our room was not well cleaned. Left notes with request for coffee which was ignored. dirty towels left behind bathroom door. Never certain how many towels, washclothes, face towels we would have. Carpets in room and halls not properly vacuumed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank dbcw
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed June 13, 2011

From begining to the end of our stay, we're always treated well. The other friends seem content as well! Complimentry Breakfast is a hit too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Easthampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here last year on a trip back from South Carolina. We really liked the room, it was very clean we especially enjoyed the 42" LG swivel TV. The room itself was really spacious. We got a king bed room and it had an extra little area for the desk and even a small sink; it was convenient. We'd definitely stay here if we go to Richmond some time in the future, and would recommend it to other couples or business travelers. The only thing I do suggest is book it directly through Hyatt's site: I was charged double through expedia.com and although the management at the Hyatt was fine with removing the charge, it took me 4 calls to Expedia to get them to actually understand what I was asking them to do. SO annoying but definitely not the hotel's fault!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
southeastern US
Reviewed May 9, 2011

When one thinks of Hyatt, one thinks of nice amenities, clean rooms, good customer service, a step above the average hotel. Think again. This particular hotel, given two tries, 4 months apart, failed miserably. I should have realized that there would be problems when the reservations agent was just plain rude. I had booked online, and needed to connecting rooms. I was told that the hotel didn't have them. I asked for two rooms that were next to one another. I was promised that would be the case. I called to confirm 4, yes, 4 times. When we arrived after a 5 hour drive, we found that one room was on the 5th floor, one was on the first. Hmmm, not so together. Waited 20 min. for her to redo the reservation. Finally got keys.

When we arrived in the rooms, we were startled to find the exhaust fan in the one bathroom was actually hanging from the ceiling. The tub was worn, enamel was missing in a number of places. The sink faucet was only loosely attached to the sink, in fact, it swiveled (unintentionally) 360 degrees. The other room's sink was the same. Our bathroom floor was also dirty. The double room had two double beds. For some reason the king room didn't have a king sized bed. I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't a king. Problematic for a 6'5 man and his wife!

We requested a move after a sleepless night, and had to really bargain for it. We asked that the fan, etc. be repaired. No such luck. Air conditioner? Small, older unit operated at the window (instead of thermostatically operated with vents) that was loud, and not at all adequate for even a day in the seventy five degree range. Best thing about the room was the size. It was larger than most I have stayed in that were not suite-styled hotels.

On the surface, this hotel looks good. Just don't look too closely. Obviously a none-too professional upfit was done. The property is old, the management is poor, and the amenities are not up to par. Breakfast, etc., was a confusing jumble of complementary items and items for sale. This hotel just can't decide if it wants to be operated by people or by computers...if you can't find a person to check you in, you can use a kiosk. If you want an expensive breakfast item, you use a touch screen. If you need help, it's pretty much too bad. Pack your own water...its for sale in the lobby, at a pricy 2.10/16 oz. bottle. Don't take it to your room and put it in the fridge, neither room's fridge worked.

Bottom line...drive the extra few minutes to Short Pump or to the West End. The properties there are so much nicer and the cost is equal or less.

Room Tip: Drive to the West End or to Short Pump!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Lovestotravel1989
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Stayed overnight for a wedding and was pleasantly surprised. I've stayed at Hyatt Places before in the Baltimore area and it always seems like Hyatt just repainted a Red Roof Inn and put in some funky furniture and a new sign and called it new. But this was a good experience - clean room, big LG flatscreen tv and suprisingly quite even though when we checked in there was a gaggle of little leaguers in the lobby apparently playing in a tournament, which made me very nervous. The whole Hyatt Place breakfast thing is a little weird and confusing but you can grab a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal and you're fine. Really, I'm not loooking at free hotel continental breakfasts as a staple anyway. Overall a thumbs up, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BronxMiddleMan
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I've stayed at this property twice since December and liked it both times. I was in a king room with a huge sectional couch and a big, flat-screen TV. The room rate was very reasonable.

Front desk staff were very helpful. On my first visit, the desk clerk gave me a tour of the amenities - something I've never encountered at a hotel but a nice touch.

Continental breakfast was adequate - not quite as nice as the Hampton Inn but gets the job done.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business