“"Making us feel welcome"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel
Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria, Virginia
“"Making us feel welcome"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the 4rth Richmond Jazz Festival 2013. The hotel have a certain old world charm mixed with the present day amenities. The staff are very polite, helpful and accomodating up to the day that we left. The suite we have was very large and facing the capital grounds and very clean. There are very good restaurants nearby. I really appreciate the attention that was given to us by Mr. James P in the restaurant during breakfast, he was very friendly and accomodating and kept up a very upbeat outlook in life. He is just so nice. The valet person was also very friendly and courteous. I would definitely go back to this hotel whenever I will be back in Richmond, Va.
Thank you for making us feel welcome!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments with James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Anshu Kapoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Work took me to Richmond for a couple of days, where three of us found rooms at CPH. The location was great - everything including work was within walking distance - and the room itself was comfy despite the lack of a view and the desk lamp that had a burnt-out bulb.

Hotels rarely move me to reviews, so that's all I'll say about CPH. I do want to comment on the hotel's cafe/restaurant. Maxine's is a small venue, located adjacent to the front desk, that seats 42. My coworkers and I enjoyed breakfast there each morning, and James P., the chief waiter/maitre d' was astoundingly friendly and fastidious with his attention to detail and service. He never let our coffee cups get empty, made sure we had plenty of cream/condiments, brought us juice and asked us if we wanted refills, and kept our table clean and cleared away our dishes promptly. His smiling face and eagerness to please was a great way to start the morning, and is the deciding factor that raises Maxine's from average to enjoyable!

I will not hesitate to book the CPH the next time I visit Richmond, and I will be sure to stop in for breakfast to have my morning brightened by James P.

Room Tip: This is an older building, just across the street from the Capitol building. As such, it shows its...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
winter haven fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a few days in June 2013. It is across the street from the state capital grounds. We had a very large, well appointed suite facing the capital gounds. The nightly rate for the suite was onlly $90 per night, but you will pay for valet parking (street parking is almost non-existant) at $15 per day and for breakfast at $11 per person per day. Staff is very helpful and accomodating.
Breakfast buffet was very good and the cook will prepare eggs to order.

Skip the on-site restaurant for dinner though! The operation is run by one person: server, cook,busboy. If there is a crowd (six or mopre) the wait is terrible. There a re very good restaurants within walking distants and attrations are close by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Bank Street side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. I will share your comments the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Davis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the generous size of the room. It plenty of space for the kids to hang out comfortably during our stay. The staff was very attentive and friendly, and I especially appreciated the kind attention James P provided my family and I in the restaurant. Located right across the street from the state capitol. I would be happy to stay at the Commonwealth again on my next visit to Richmond.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was so glad I could bring my dog along with me on my trip to Richmond. The location is great because it is right in front of the Virginia State Capitol, and I could walk my dog in the scenic park right on the Capitol grounds. James P. was the employee in charge of the restaurant and he took care of me and my family every morning for breakfast and every day for dinner - he was very professional and courteous. It was convenient to have a restaurant right in the hotel because most food establishments within walking distance were often closed in the evenings/weekends. We had a car and used the valet service ($15/night) because we didn't want to deal with the street parking restrictions during the day time. The valet staff were also very professional. As for our room - it was pretty spacious and had a good view of the Virginia State Capitol. I just didn't like the bathtubs/shower very much because the water would not drain very well. Overall, I would stay here again though because of its convenient location, convenient restaurant, and it's hard to find any other pet-friendly hotels that are close to attractions in this city as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bristol, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Every time I have stayed here, I have been impressed by the spacious rooms. This last visit beat them all. My room overlooked the beautiful, picture-perfect capitol. There was a huge living room with seating area, table with two chairs, desk area, and flat screen TV. A hallway led to a large bath and nice size bedroom. It was terribly hot in downtown Richmond and the air conditioning worked very well, thank goodness. I felt like a princess and I wish could have stayed longer to really enjoy the space. Only . . . the hotel is starting to show some wear. I suggest that the managers really take a fresh, close look at every room. In the bath, the light cover looked like it was shredding and could fall at any moment. I am sad that no one asked at checkout if I had any comments. I would have said that everything was great - except a few minor details that could be easily remedied. Nonetheless, I will stay here again when I have the chance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Bank Street and the Virginia Capitol.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. We are slated for major renovations by the end of this year.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

James did a great job preparing my dinner. Thought of every last detail to fit my needs. The hotel staff was quick to help in every way possible. I felt like I was being a pain with my needs but it was no problem for them.

Only issue; please don't make guests pay for valet parking ($15.00 per night) when there is no parking garage associated with the hotel.

Room Tip: Room was elegant, comfortable, and spacious. Bathroom was, too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013