“Nice Hotel, Wonderful service and staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel
Ranked #19 of 88 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Comers Rock Virginia
“Nice Hotel, Wonderful service and staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as a member of the legislative team for the college I attend. The suite was very comfortable and adequately appointed. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful, if not for the food, then definitely for the service. James P. was a great waiter. After having worked in foodservice for a number of years, I can honestly say that I would be honored to work in a restaurant with him. I have had service equal to, but never better than what he provided. I would recommend the Commonwealth Park Suites to ANYONE coming to Richmond.

Room Tip: 1106 was wonderful. Rooms toward the back and right coming off the elevator have very little street...
    • 5 of 5 stars
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and your kind words. We look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Anshu Kapoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I arrived several hours before check in and were allowed to go ahead and get into our room. When we entered our room it was very cold. If we had arrived after check-in time, perhaps they would have had the heat turned on. So, no big deal. There was also a crack/hole in the wall, where the wallpaper had been painted over and was now splitting at the seams. This was happening at several places in the room.

We turned on the heat and at first it didn't seem to work. We turned it from medium to high and it started working. It was also making a loud, intermittent whistling noise. The front desk was helpful and sent up a nice maintenance man to look at it. Unfortunately it would not make the noise while he was there, so he left. Eventually I was able to find the sweet spot with the two knobs and the noise stopped.

The bathroom was okay but could use some detail work and the shower’s warm water didn’t last more than a few minutes. I don’t really need a long shower but it’s work mentioning.

We went down for breakfast at around 9:45 AM, and they close at 10. The man working the restaurant (James) at first starting giving us the bum’s rush, as it seemed he was closing up and wanted to get out of there. However, he did become very helpful and accommodating. I think he changed his tune when we said we’d take our food up to our room.

At $130 a night, the location is great but the room was not really any better than a Holiday Inn. We stayed here to support a local company and for the location, but we’ll probably try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: I'd request a room on the Capital side. Our room was on the rear of the building and the one wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ollie-norfolk
St. Mary's City, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I can't find anything bad to say about the comfort and service of this hotel. From the moment we arrived we were treated with fast and friendly service from the valet, to the front desk and on to the restaurant. There was a misunderstanding with the reservation when I booked my two rooms but by the time I arrrived, the front desk had already addressed the issue and provided my traveling companions with a free upgrade. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Our suite was larger than many city apartments. And yes, you can walk to numerous restaurants, bars and coffee shops. Great property!

Room Tip: Typical of a city hotel, there is some traffic noise from below so if that will bother you, request...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,008 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at this old-fashioned little hotel right in the center of the city. If you have business to do at the Supreme Court or the Capitol, you really couldn't get any closer. Just walk out the front door and stroll up the street.

The hotel doesn't really have any special amenities. It's fairly small, with a small lobby, small elevators, small rooms. But the room was very well appointed, with lovely brand new red bedspreads, and even bidets in the bathroom. There is a small breakfast buffet in the bar in the morning, which was excellent. We got there a little late, so although some of the food had been removed, they still made us eggs to order. And they were delicious!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review .I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Castletownshend, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

James, the head waiter and breakfast chef in the hotel's restaurant, makes a perfect omelet and with his friendly charm gets your day off to a great start.

This hotel was built in 1846 and renovated in the very early 21st century. I like how it feels. We're on tour and I'm very happy to pause here for a full day, no driving, maybe even get some laundry done (second floor coin laundry). Snow expected later today and tonight (this is late January 2013). I got more sleep last night than I've gotten for weeks. People here are cordial & helpful. I sat a long while this morning in a nice room off the lobby with giant windows, writing and sometimes looking over at the bare trees in the park across the street (actually that's the capitol building & grounds). I feel grateful for all the changes that have happened in Virginia since 1846. If you start to imagine life here then, you can get really sad in no time. Well, life anywhere on earth in 1846 would have been lacking nearly all the pleasures I enjoy in my daily life, not particular to Richmond. I did not come here for the history, but I do find the lingering oldness of the hotel appealing. (This is the kind of rambling that comes from insisting on a longer review when all I wanted to say was "my compliments to the chef".)

1 Thank M G
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Columbia, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel for one night during my daughter’s volleyball tournament in January 2013. The biggest take away was just how nice EVERYONE was. It didn’t matter who I came in contact with, they were helpful, courteous, and pleasant. The hotel was rather interesting. It was clearly a historic building, but the rooms were very large. We had a king suite which was extremely spacious. In fact, it probably could have used a bit more furniture to fill up the space. But overall, clean and met my expectations for what we needed – two room at a reasonable rate. The elevators could make a claustrophobic person a bit uncomfortable, but my daughter loved them and they certainly added to the historic charm. The breakfast buffet was very good, offering hot and cold items. And the omelet that James P. made us was delicious - he did a great job! We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TrishL4
Dear Guest
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the CommonWealth Park Suites Hotel and got great service from the front desk, the valet and especially the dining room staff. The room was clean and cozy, this was actually my second time staying there. Thank you to James P for a great dinner ad excellent service.

• 4 of 5 stars
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Sincerely