“RPaul”

The Commonwealth
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stay here on my very frequent trips to Richmond. The rooms are nice, clean, up to date and the staff is always very helpful. The location is directly across from The Capitol grounds and is right around the corner from the restaurant district and many of the sights of Richmond. Cannot say enough about Henry at the front desk and James in the dining room! Great people. You will not do better to stay anywhere else for the price!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Capitol Grounds.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with Henry and James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

There are newer reviews for The Commonwealth

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and it has always been a pleasurable experience. I will say that this time I was on the front side of the hotel and the noise from the traffic was like being on a busy highway. There was also a problem with the water not getting cold. Thought it was just my room maybe but my travel buddy said that she too had luke warm temps at best. I hate to say anything negative because the staff there has always been so warm and friendly.
If you do stay here, please be sure to have breakfast in the restaurant. James P. does a wonderful job of making sure every customer is taken care of. As I told him, I don't think that I have ever encountered such a polite and pleasant person anywhere else in the food industry.

Room Tip: Front side of the hotel has a nice view of the park and the Governor's mansion, but the traffic...

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
I would appreciate a quick call so that we can investigate the hot water issue you had, we have checked almost all the rooms, we might be missing something ,and have found no issues.
We are happy that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. Hope to see you in again in the near future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here during the weekend for an interview at the VCU campus. The location was great (right next to the capitol building and just a few short blocks to the campus), the rooms were large, and the staff was friendly and professional (James in the restaurant was especially awesome!). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review .
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Nice room and great staff, especially from James P in the restaurant. They treat you like they really appreciate your business. I did not give 5 stars because the handle on my bathroom sink broke off. A minor annoyance, not a big deal. The rooms are huge. Great value. Nice mattress!

1  Thank Randy L
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. Glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your stay, especially the breakfast. I will share your positive comments with James and the rest of the team, and certainly look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Exceptional service in the restaurant by James P. Great location right in the center of Richmond. My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night and it was so nice we wanted to stay longer. We were in Richmond for a concert at the National. It was a safe easy walk to the venue which was great! We were able to park our car, check in, walk to dinner and then walk over to the show and back to the hotel- we even wandered into Shockoe Bottom for a late night snack and drink (which is also steps away) This hotel is so pretty and the staff is great. Our room was massive with beautiful views of the city and Governor's Mansion- the hotel was clean and efficient. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had towel warmers. It far exceeded our expectations and we are already planning a longer trip to Richmond to enjoy a longer stay at this wonderful hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, especially the breakfast. I will share your positive comments with James and the rest of the team, and certainly look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night and it was so nice we wanted to stay longer. We were in Richmond for a concert at the National. It was a safe easy walk to the venue which was great! We were able to park our car, check in, walk to dinner and then walk over to the show and back to the hotel- we even wandered into Shockoe Bottom for a late night snack and drink (which is also steps away)

Room Tip: Call ahead to request a room on a higher floor with city views. I did this and was given a room on t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My three-day stay here was quite lovely and quiet after teaching all day. The rooms were spacious though a bit spartan. There were a few infrastructure issues of the sort to be expected with a building of this age - air in the water lines at times, REALLY slow toilet, and slow elevator - but all-in-all a great place to stay, especially given the location right across from the State Capitol.

And, then there is James in the restaurant. All I can say is he cares about what he does, how he does it, and for whom he does it. He was fabulous and puts together one of the best breakfasts I have ever had in a hote, though be sure to get there early while it is at its freshest.

Room Tip: Get a high floor - you will like the view especially on the Capitol side.

Dear Guest,
I would appreciate a quick call from you regarding your room number, it will help us investigate the toilet issue, with the newer toilets you have to hold the handle down in order for them to flush properly, it conserves water.