“Clean, functional, no frills hotel”

Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Clean, functional, no frills hotel”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at the Commonwealth Park due to Tripadvisor reviews and the low cost for a suite. It was fine. It was clean and functional, but don't expect anything more. It is basic; no bells, whistles, or branding that you see at the other chains. It was fine for one night and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was tasty and inexpensive.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . We value you as a guest, appreciate your patronage, and hope to see you again in the near future.
Anshu Kapoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I visit the Commonwealth Hotel frequently and I really love it. Every time it is a great stay. I had wonderful time in this conveniently located hotel. The room are very big and comfortable with nice view of the State Capitol park. Location is excellent. The front staff is very good specially Mr. Henry. I usually meet hotel manager Mr. Anshu Kapoor who is very cooperative and helpful.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
Bedford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We recently stayed at Richmond's Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel and had a very favorable experience. The care and friendliness of the staff were especially impressive. From helping us to park, to making sure that my mom's handicap needs were well met, they went out of their way to extend warm and sincere hospitality. The large comfortable suite rooms were a real bonus and greatly helped to make our weekend stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Upper rooms facing the capital have awesome views!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
USA
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We researched hotels near "The National" in Richmond and this hotel was the least expensive of them all. It's a bit old and small and has two tiny elevators that take a while when the hotel is full, but it's within short walking distance of The National and acceptable for our needs. The staff were all very friendly. Our room had two double beds, a bidet (didn't use) and unfortunately, no view. To get a view of the State Capital across the street, you need to book a suite on the top two floors. Valet is $12 per night added to your bill. We ate lunch at the 3rd street diner for $4.95 you get an incredible AYCE buffet. On Monday, go to the Capital Ale House for $2 half pound burger night and also on Tuesday for their steal the glass night. Lots of things in walking distance. We had a good time and would go back. For those not too picky, it's not too bad. Please don't expect the Ritz.

Room Tip: Get a suite.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
WV
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I have stayed at Richmond's Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel a few times, and I've never had any issues. And, my only issues during my recent 3-night stay in September, 2011 were purely housekeeping-staff negligence. On more than one morning they forgot to leave clean glasses/cups, soap, coffee, and clean towels and washcloths. Not an insignificant oversight. But, to their credit, Front Desk staff very quickly and graciously remedied the matter. I am supposing this was a situation involving an individual employee in need of greater supervision, and not a broader systemic problem. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, mostly because of the hotel's location, competitive pricing, the great spaciousness and cleanliness of the suites, and the comfort of the beds. Speaking of pricing, valet parking is but $12 a day. Compare that to the $40 and $50 per day at many hotels in DC.

Room Tip: 9th street is a very busy street with frequent buses and occasional sirens so ask for a suite away f...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review .
I apologize for the neglience of our housekeeper.
As can be seen from the reviews posted on Tripadvisor, and our satisfaction ranking on the site, we pride ourselves on our housekeeping department and the general maintenance of the hotel and take cleanliness issues very seriously and apologize that this lapse occurred. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We value you as a guest, appreciate your patronage, and hope to see you again in the near future.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We were very pleasantly surprised with this hotel, which from the lobby appears plain, but the room we were given was very large and modernly furnished - in fact, the living room was bigger than ours at home and had a hardwood floor! I understand the hotel was recently renovated. The staff were very helpful, checking on how we liked the room, to letting us park our car in front of the hotel after we checked out so we could dash across to the Capitol building for a free one-hour tour. The breakfast we had was delicious (my introduction to biscuits and gravy) - and the dining room has old pictures of the hotel and surrounding area. Great value!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out towards the Capitol building.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel at Capitol Square, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I am in mid-stay at this point, and if I could, I would move to a different hotel. There is some sort of convention in town and I have nothing to choose from. Since I checked in yesterday, I have found a dirty shirt in the bedroom floor, my coffee pot was dirty this morning, and then to top it off, when I returned to my room this afternoon, I found that my commode was disgusting. After I called the front desk, someone came to clean it and told me that they had "plumbing issues" today. I guess so. It's really very sad, because the rooms are spacious and the location very convenient. But I can't stay somewhere again if I'm not sure the room is properly cleaned.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen S
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review .
We did have a minor issue with one of our domestic water pumps which resulted in us having to switch to our standby pump. We ran the water in all the unoccupied rooms to clear the pipes but your room was occupied hence we did not go in there to run the water and as a result the commode in your room appeared to be dirty with discolored water.
With respect to the shirt that had fallen behind the armchair this is certainly something that our housekeeper should have remembered to pick up and for this we apologize.