“Pleasant comfort”

The Commonwealth
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel. It's an older hotel but has been renovated and offer many of the amenities of modern hotels. The staff was very helpful and James in Maxine's always made the start of my day pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank 4aBusinessPro
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review.
We appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely Anshu Kapoor

Reviewed May 23, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel about 10 times in the past 3 years. The staff got to know me and my family. In fact, they always assigned me to my favorite room with a wonderful view of the Capitol. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff are all most accommodating. My favorite part was having breakfast with James in the small cafe off the lobby. He makes a great omlet. Coming here was like coming home for me. The location is excellent for walking and/or driving, near the Main Street Railroad Station and I-95. Would I visit again? Absolutely! Keeping the beautiful old elevators when the building was restored was a lovely old fashioned touch. This is a no frills establishment, but well suited to my needs and pocketbook.

Room Tip: If you want a Capitol view ask of an 04 room.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Crafty1113

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review.
We appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely Anshu Kapoor

Reviewed May 20, 2011

Hotel is extremely convenient to downtown area. Staff is very professional, courteous and goes out of their way to make you feel right at home. Rooms are spacious and clean.

Room Tip: Get higher floor for best internet access
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank Ilsedog
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 19, 2011

I am a business traveller and have been travelling to Commonwealth Suites since Oct'10, I like this place for many reasons - big suites (a big bedroom & equally big living room - gives a feeling of home), very good location in downtown richmond (opposite state Capitol - can not think of a better location), very polite staff - will go an extra mile to make your stay comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank GauravAggarwal1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your patronage. Sincerely

Reviewed May 18, 2011

I read the various compaints, and most are valid. Nonetheless, I like this hotel. It is seconds from the Virginia Supreme Court and Capital. The elevator is small and creaky but it works fine. The exercise room is cramped with only three machines, but I was the only person using it. The staff were all friendly and helpful. I had an enormous bedroom and an even larger adjacent living room. The bathroom was nice and has a bidet! I had the cold breakfast which was very good. The hot breakfast looked good as well. It is not new and shiny, but I like it. The capital Ale House is just up Main Street and has a great beer selection.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
10  Thank LeePulaski_Va_
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your patronage and the review. This building is over a 100 years old so there are certain things that we cannot change.
We really appreciate your business and nice comments.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

When staying in Richmond, VA you cannot do better than a stay at the Commonwelath Park Suites Hotel on Bank Street. First, this 80 year old offers a charm and friendly atmosphere you will not find at bigger chain hotels. Second, everyone on the staff was very helpful, courteous and thankful for our visit. Third, the suites offer plenty of room and comfort. Each suite has a separate living room and a separate bedroom. Both rooms are nice decorated. Fourth, the location of the hotel is across the street from Virginia Capital, close to shops, museums and many good restaurants. The valet parking makes getting in and out very easy. Finally, the hotel is reasonably priced with many amenities found at bigger, more impersonal hotels. Overall, my friends and I were very pleased with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank psr707070
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at The Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you, for your patronage and the kind review. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 14, 2011

We booked this hotel because it had large suites, which we need with our two small children. The rooms were large, the location was pretty nice and the valet was very friendly...aaand that's about all I can say that's positive. The place has been redecorated, so at first glance, you think "hm, this place looks nice." But when you look closer, you see that it's still a pretty shabby property. The air vents were rusty, the caulking in the bathroom looked like my 3-year-old did it, the sheets smelled like ajax, the chain literally fell off the door, there was hair in the bathtub and blood (yes, blood) on one of the door jambs. It also took two calls down to the front desk to get a pack-n-play sent up. And the front desk attendant in the morning couldn't recommend anywhere to go get breakfast. The only good service came from the valet, who was quite friendly and helpful.
All in all, I would say to skip this hotel. Looks OK on the surface, but will give you the heebie-jeebies if you look any closer.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LouckVA

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback.
I can only address the issues with your room if I have the room number or the last name under which the reservation was made. Hence I can only apologize for the inconvenience.
As far as I know the security chain is screwed into the wood frame so it very unlikely that it would just fall off, unless it was latched on and someone jerked the door open by mistake. but I will still take your word for it.
We have limited pack and plays, we do offer them at no extra charge, subject to availability. It does take a little while to come and deliver them to the room as they have to be pulled out of storage and brought up, unless you have planned ahead and informed us at the time of booking the room.
The front desk agent could not suggest you anywhere nearby to go for breakfast for two reasons :
1) We are a Downtown property and as most of the Downtown properties we are located in the heart of the business district and unfortunately nothing is open on weekends as most of the businesses are closed on weekends.

2) We do serve breakfast on weekends in our restaurant and it is open till 11:00 am, I am only assuming that you not very keen on eating at our restaurant.

I sincerely apologize once again.