“Wonderful Suites Hotel and Service”

Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel
Ranked #27 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Michigan City, Indiana
“Wonderful Suites Hotel and Service”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

When staying in Richmond, VA you cannot do better than a stay at the Commonwelath Park Suites Hotel on Bank Street. First, this 80 year old offers a charm and friendly atmosphere you will not find at bigger chain hotels. Second, everyone on the staff was very helpful, courteous and thankful for our visit. Third, the suites offer plenty of room and comfort. Each suite has a separate living room and a separate bedroom. Both rooms are nice decorated. Fourth, the location of the hotel is across the street from Virginia Capital, close to shops, museums and many good restaurants. The valet parking makes getting in and out very easy. Finally, the hotel is reasonably priced with many amenities found at bigger, more impersonal hotels. Overall, my friends and I were very pleased with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank psr707070
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you, for your patronage and the kind review. Hope to see you again.

Anshu Kapoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2011

We booked this hotel because it had large suites, which we need with our two small children. The rooms were large, the location was pretty nice and the valet was very friendly...aaand that's about all I can say that's positive. The place has been redecorated, so at first glance, you think "hm, this place looks nice." But when you look closer, you see that it's still a pretty shabby property. The air vents were rusty, the caulking in the bathroom looked like my 3-year-old did it, the sheets smelled like ajax, the chain literally fell off the door, there was hair in the bathtub and blood (yes, blood) on one of the door jambs. It also took two calls down to the front desk to get a pack-n-play sent up. And the front desk attendant in the morning couldn't recommend anywhere to go get breakfast. The only good service came from the valet, who was quite friendly and helpful.
All in all, I would say to skip this hotel. Looks OK on the surface, but will give you the heebie-jeebies if you look any closer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LouckVA
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback.
I can only address the issues with your room if I have the room number or the last name under which the reservation was made. Hence I can only apologize for the inconvenience.
As far as I know the security chain is screwed into the wood frame so it very unlikely that it would just fall off, unless it was latched on and someone jerked the door open by mistake. but I will still take your word for it.
We have limited pack and plays, we do offer them at no extra charge, subject to availability. It does take a little while to come and deliver them to the room as they have to be pulled out of storage and brought up, unless you have planned ahead and informed us at the time of booking the room.
The front desk agent could not suggest you anywhere nearby to go for breakfast for two reasons :
1) We are a Downtown property and as most of the Downtown properties we are located in the heart of the business district and unfortunately nothing is open on weekends as most of the businesses are closed on weekends.

2) We do serve breakfast on weekends in our restaurant and it is open till 11:00 am, I am only assuming that you not very keen on eating at our restaurant.

I sincerely apologize once again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 23, 2011

So we arrived late at night from a long drive. We got on the elevator which was barely big enough for 3 people and our baggage. Then we walked in and the room was tiny. The photos online were totally misleading. When we flipped the switch, the lights didn't turn on. We had to call down to the front desk and when the lady came up (she was actually very nice), it turns out that one of the lamps wasn't plugged in and the other didn't have a light bulb. So when we went to turn the sheets back, there was a stain on them. Either that or they were dirty. I don't really care which it was - it was disgusting. We went and got more sheets to change the bed. When we did, there was a large stain on the mattress that appeared to be a blood stain. We ended up staying the night because it was so late, but the next morning we received a call from someone who did not identify herself. She offered to comp our parking for the night. What a joke! She wasn't even very nice about it. So I called back to speak to the manager who talked alot. I barely got a word in edge wise. Basically he told me that I had to call priceline and sort it out with them. It was just a horrible experience.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank missclyburn
CommonwealthPark, Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to add that we did process the full refund when you informed me about the problems encountered, but you do have to make the call to Priceline as they send us the single use Credit card.
Unfortunately , when I went checked the room after you had checked out, as you did not allow me to come up and inspect the bed while you were there, I really did not find any stains. But we took your word for it and did process the refund to Priceline. Also you were offered a change of room by our night staff which you refused.
I thank you for your time and sincerely apologize for any other inconvienence caused.

Asst. general Manager.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We arrived one hour ago, were given a room that was nasty and dark and smelly, with an adjoining door behind which a party was going on. We immediately left. This "hotel" looks like a complete dump, with grotty teenagers running in the halls. Unfortunately Richmond hotels are completely booked tonight due to various conventions, weddings, etc., but we managed to find one of the last rooms at the Omni. It's beautiful here, and just fine for one night before we hit 95 South again. Please don't stay at the Commonwealth Park Suites.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Our second stay at this hotel. An older property that has been remodeled, with enough of its heritage intact to give a it a unique presence. A great location - across from the State Capitol and with near-by restaurants to walk to. Very friendly and helpful staff. Exceptionally large suites - one of the two rooms we had would have been a traditionally-sized room in most accommodations. Modern bathrooms. We were able to park directly across the street on the three-day President's Day weekend without charge. The only thing we noticed was the noise from passing city buses. This is a great value and a wonderful place and we will be staying here on our future trips to Richmond.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarylandTraveler1234
Dear Guest
Thank you, for your patronage and the kind review.

Richmond, VA
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I booked (and PAID for) a King Suite in this hotel on cheaptickets.com. When we checked in, we went up to the room to discover that we had been placed in a shoebox with a king sized bed, rather than the king bedroom suite that we had booked. When I called down to the front desk to say that we had been given the wrong room, I was told that the hotel was over booked and there were no available rooms left. Nevermind that we had reserved and PAID for a king suite. Beyond being completely unhelpful, the man was rude and let me know that sights like travelocity and cheaptickets are unreliable and apparently you don't always get what you pay for. We were not given the room that we had reserved, we were not given a new room, and we were not offered a discount OF ANY KIND, even though we had been placed in a tiny room and not the suite we signed up for. I have never seen such horrible customer service. I will NEVER stay here again, and will tell as many people as I can to STAY AWAY.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SarahHelene24
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Dear Ms. Helene

I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience.
Usually we upgrade rooms to suites as we have 50 suites out of total of 59 rooms. I was not able to find your reservation under your last name as a result, I am unable to identify the person who spoke with.
Please accept my apologies, let me assure you that strict disciplnary action will be taken against the concerned person.
Kindly call me at 8043437300 so that I can see how I can compensate you in terms of a refund. We really can not refund if you booked through a 3rd party site as they usually send us a single use pre paid card. But we might be able to call the site and ask them to process a refund on our behalf.

I apologise once again for any and all inconvienence caused.

Randleman, Nc
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a weekend getaway to Richmond Virginia. I booked our room through Expedia, where I read what apeared to be overall neutral reviews of Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel. However, I have to admit, a couple of weeks later, I came across all the negative reviews on this site and considered cancelling our reservation. It was just a couple of days prior to travel, so had we cancelled, we would have been charged a penelty equal to one night's stay, so we decided to give Commonwealth a try and form our own opinion. I am SO glad we did!

The hotel is beautiful from the street. Not your typical cookie cutter chain hotel. And the location is PERFECT! I wanted the full downtown experience, and what better location than directly across the street from Capitol Square!? Our 10th floor room had the most beautiful view of the Capitol Building and the grounds that surround it. Even more amazing at night! It was very welcoming when we would come back to our room and have that greet us as we walked through the door into our suite! I especially loved hearing the chime from the bell tower! I did read where people mentioned that the area was dead on nights and weekends. Indeed, there wasn't a lot going on, but we appreciated that. We aren't really into the nightlife scene, so it was perfect for us to come back to our room in a peacfeul neighborhood! But there was plenty going on blocks away.

Even more positives, our suite, room 1004 was huge! Very open living area, tastefully, (however somewhat minimally), decorated. Two comfy chairs, large, oversized ottoman and sofa, with a desk and office chair for the buisness traveler, a nice dining table for two, and a large flat screen TV. The entire wall of floor to celing windows in the living area were our favorite feature.

To the left of the living area was a very wide hallway where the bathroom was located off of, that led to the bedroom. The bathroom was very large. Throughout the entire suite, there was a mix of old charm and moden amenities that blended beautifully. I loved the mix of an old tub, with the marble floors and high granite vanity. There was also a bidet, heat lamp, and towel warmer, none of which we utilized.

The very large bedroom, had a different, yet equally amazing view. There was a king bed, where I must say I got the most comfortable sleep of any hotel! There was plenty of drawer space, though we never unpacked our suitcase. Also a large closet, with iron and ironing board.

The only negatives I could think of, there was a foul odor in the hallway. (Imagine a perm) I was a little worried as we made our way to our room for the first time that it would smell that way too. Thankfully, it DID NOT! Also, with it being mid August when we visited, it took a while for our room to cool down. It was a little stuffy upon check in and was not until the next day that the temperature got where we prefer. Might I suggest that you request the thermostat be adjusted in your room prior to your arrival during the summer months. And leave the blinds and curtains closed during the day when you're away.

We did use the valet service, and had no complaints at all.

We LOVED our stay at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel. If we ever find ourselves in Richmond in the future, we will definetly be back! My only regret...that we could not stay longer! There was so much more we would have loved to do that time just did not allow. Give this place a chance! I don't thnik you'll be sorry!

Travelers Advice!!! Check out Galaxy Diner in Carytown and try their Trailerpark Pancakes and SinE' Irish Pub in Shockoe Slip and have the Meatloaf Meltdown!!! Both are equally amazing!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank beanpole83
CommonwealthPark, Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2010
Dear Sir/Ma'am

Thank you, for your patronage and the kind review. We are checking into the foul odor in the hallway.
Looking forward to seeing you again!!
Yours sincerely