“Nice but a few minor complaints”

Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Washington DC
“Nice but a few minor complaints”
Reviewed August 10, 2007

This will sound like a complaint, but I want to emphasize that this is a very nice hotel and I will be back. Maybe the things I saw wrong were only apparent because it's such a nice hotel overall.

It's just that it looks like things might be starting to fray around the edges a little: I had to switch rooms because the A/C was broken; my daughter had to switch her room due to a running toilet; one of the two phones was broken; the end of the internet cable for my laptop was broken (no wireless here) and I had to wait a few hours for a replacement....

Other good things: location; I got a great government rate; quiet, business-traveler-oriented ambiance (lack of free breakfast, etc keeps the riff-raff out). Just don't let this place go to seed, Marriott!

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank Johnwport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2007

This hotel is a typical Courtyard hotel. It was clean, comfortable, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the lobby was great. No complaints. A good place to stay while on business.

Eric Wittkopp

• Liked — Quiet & Clean
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank eric440
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed July 16, 2007

This is a Marriott property. At the time of our visit, there was a LARGE family reunion held at the hotel, yet everything ran smoothly enough, for us, not being members of the reunion, that it made me think this hotel must be off the charts in service under 'normal' circumstances.

We liked:

The wonderful king-sized bed
The soft sheets
The soft, squishy pillows (in fact, I asked the brand name so I can purchase some for our home)
The in-room internet access (even though we didn't use it)
The lobby interenet access (which we did use)
The full continental breakfast featuring eggs made to order and do-it-yourself waffles
The staff -- especially (and I rarely mention names) Michelle, at the front desk and Yesmine at the breastfast area.

Oh yeah, the husband loved the pool and even had it to himself for quite some time.

In fact, the only problem we had was a guest with a very loud laugh that resembled the Joker's laugh from the original Batman TV series (in fact, every time he laugh, which was all through the night, I kept replaying the music that went with it in my head). Worse, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Despite the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, I didn't get much sleep and decided to complain about it early the next morning.

Without question they offered to look for another room and reminded me that switching might put me into the middle of the reunion, but they would see what they could do. They also let me know that security was on duty that night and if I had any complaint I could let them know right away.

They found another room and in the end we decided to stay in our original room, but it was great to know that they were so accommodating.

Overall, despite "the Joker" one of the best hotel stays we've had. I would definitely go there again.

Kinch

• Liked — Beds, pillows, staff, internet, location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Kinch417
Stephens City, VA
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Date of stay was Thursday, June 7, 2007. Was in town for the VA Homeschool convention and no room downtown where all the action was. So I found this Marriott about 15-20 minutes away from the convention center.

Got a first floor room. Room was spotless and overall, the place was fine. Pool hours are until 11PM. We didn't know this because someone must have stolen the typical books that are left in the room to provide such details. Shame that someone felt compelled to remove this from the room. It's more of a shame that the property didn't feel a need to replace it.

The property provides a clean, restful place to sleep. That is the important thing. I'd stay here again.

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank Wojo88
Madison Heights, VA
Reviewed March 4, 2007

We stayed one night at this hotel and had a GREAT trip!! We visit the Richmond area once a year and this is, by far, the best hotel we have found!! The room was VERY nice and VERY clean! The staff here was excellent!! Being a member of their rewards program; when we arrived in the room we had free bottled water and cookies. I am a member of several hotel chain "rewards" programs, however I have never seen a hotel go this far!!

They also have a breakfast buffet in the lobby that is very good!! It includes: made-to-order eggs and omelets, Belgian waffles, bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes, and all of the continental breakfast favorites!!

This hotel is in a very nice location directly off of I-64 with lots of shopping nearby!! Short Pump Mall is only one exit away!!

Fom now on we will definitely be staying here on all of our trips to Richmond!!

• Liked — Cleanliness of hotel, friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Love2_travel_from_VA
KC
Reviewed September 13, 2006

This hotel is exactly what the business traveler needs - A nice clean room, free high speed internet access, friendly staff, free breakfast (in some cases), great location (many restaurants, shopping, theatres in the area). I stayed at this property for 8 weeks in July and August '06. Minor complaints (if any) - parking is a little tight, add free wireless through the hotel?

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank mrosel11
philadelphia
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We reserved 12 rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott Northwest last week for a girls AAU basketball tournament. It was perfect for that. The rate was good - $84 a night. Our rooms were a bit dated, but clean and ready when we arrived. The breakfast was ample and the staff was kind enough to ask if we wanted them to have it ready early for us on Saturday (prior to 7 am) so the girls could eat before an 8 am game (we declined). The indoor pool was nice, the common area was pefect for the parents in the evening - and the Panera Bread is right next door.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank soccermom327
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
SpringHill Suites Richmond Northwest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Short Pump/I-64
Residence Inn Richmond Northwest/Short Pump
Wingate by Wyndham Richmond Short Pump
Richmond Marriott Short Pump
Richmond Marriott Short Pump
#6 of 23 in Glen Allen
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook

Been to Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump? Share your experiences!