“It met all of our needs and great service.”

Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump
Ranked #30 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I have to admit I that I am a fan of Marriott Courtyard hotels. I like the modern lobbies, the cafés and find the beds comfortable resulting in a great night's sleep. We ended up here after our first hotel that I had booked at just didn't work out. Jennifer at the front desk was so helpful and I am so glad that we stayed here. The location is on a fairly busy road lined with strip malls and fast food restaurants, but it is just a few miles drive to Carytown and the University of Richmond. We were in a room with a single king size bed and a pull out sofa. It was plenty of room for two people on a 2 night stay. Longer than that, it might get a bit tight.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stay at Marriotts all of the time and they are all good. This one however, is EXCELLENT!! I honestly can't say enough about this hotel.

Part of the hotel experience is amenities. What sets this Marriott apart from all of the others we have stayed at is the personnel. OMG, they are awesome!!

Jerome made us feel so welcome. He is such a nice guy. Very friendly. Was always happy to see us. He really goes above and beyond. They even have free beer and wine there. Yummers!!

Seth is the general manager there and I just left a voice mail for him telling him what a great bunch of people he has.

They are all SO polite. It's just truly unbelievable.
We live in Roanoke and go up to Richmond way too often. We have probably stayed in all of the hotels there. But this one truly stands out because of the five star treatment we were given. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a typical Courtyard, with trendy and comfortable features in and around the lobby - and is typical of Courtyards in that you can expect a lousy night's sleep unless you are a heavy sleeper. LIke every Courtyard in which I've stayed, it has those individual air conditioning wall units - you know the type: too loud and the seem to abruptly and noisily cycle on and off every five minutes, So I turned it off, but that created two more problems: the mini-fridge had a high-pitched whine with a gurgling sound ... and the room became too hot because, for some reason, this place likes to keep the fourth-floor corridor at 80 degrees - no exaggeration - and the heat inevitably seeps in.

We had a king room, but the television is off to the side, meaning the only way to watch TV in bed is to lie on your right side. Who thought this was good room design?

On the plus side, the bathroom has an exhaust fan - too few hotel rooms have this feature. The desk offers an actual, fully adjustable office chair - most hotels use a plush chair that is the wrong height for the desk.

I figured a nighttime beer would help me relax at night ... but when the front desk clerk wanted $6.05 for a single Heineken that I pulled from the cooler from the convenience kiosk, I nearly choked and put it back.

And, of course, Courtyard does not provide free breakfast; we went to the Panera Bread next door instead of purchasing an overpriced, mediocre (based on experience) breakfast in the "bistro."

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Residence Inn next door instead.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ernie L, General Manager at Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at out hotel. I truly apologize for the noise you experienced with your heating unit and then refrigerator. I would welcome a call 804-346-5427 to identify the room so that we can look into repairs. I have had our engineer check the hallway heat unit and it is functioning properly at it's preset temp. of 70 degrees. I thank you for the positive comments regarding the bathroom fan and the desk chair. I wish that you would have tried our Bistro for breakfast, many of our guets have had very positive comments about the food and service.
Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ernie

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our room was clean and comfortable. The bed was great. The staff is VERY nice and friendly.

The hotel offers 2 levels of WiFi. The "regular" speed is free. Okay for browsing, but not fast enough for video streaming. The "enhanced" faster WiFi costs $4.95 per day. I chose the free WiFi on our first day. When I decided to switch to the for-pay faster service, it's very difficult to change services. Regina at the front desk was very helpful. When she couldn't solve the problem herself, she gave me a tech support phone number that was able to get me switched over within minutes.

Fitness center is adequate--1 recumbent bike, 1 stairstepper, 2 treadmills, and free weights. Cozy lobby with a fireplace. Free Wall Street Journal and USA Today.

Overall, I would stay here again.

Note: this hotel does NOT offer a free breakfast. Don't believe the "free breakfast" muffin icon in the Trip Advisor amenities listing. Also, the Bistro only serves until 10 a.m., and then doesn't resume until dinnertime. The Starbucks coffee isn't free either.

However, there's a Panera in the next strip mall, and a number of places to eat within a mile, including a great deli called Boychik's.

Mike Brown
Flourtown,PA

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mdbrownmd
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I am a travel agent and while looking at colleges with my daughter we stayed here. The location is great for getting the Richmond U, the Short Hills Mall and to Richmond. Our roos was clean and the staff was great. The breakfast is your typical courtyard breakfast bistro.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank luv2travel068
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Nice Clean hotel! Great pool! Nice modern, well decorated rooms. Hotel is in a central location.Close to Short Pump Mall and many restaurants. Only thing missing was Free breakfast! Nice hotel staff!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stay at a lot of Marriott hotels, the only reason I'm giving 3 stars is this location is clean. I was very disappointed that they filled in the hot tub area with concrete, really you can't fix what's broken? I've never stayed at a Marriott location without a hot tub and since it's one of the things my husband and I look forward to when we stay at a hotel we were not impressed. The website needs to be updated because when we asked at the front desk where the sauna was (which is listed on the website) we were told they don't have one. I appreciate the cleanliness however it takes more just being clean to make me want to stay again. We will find a different hotel on our next trip to Richmond.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
SpringHill Suites Richmond Northwest
Holiday Inn Express Richmond I-64 Short Pump Area
Richmond Marriott Short Pump
Richmond Marriott Short Pump
#6 of 23 in Glen Allen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64
Residence Inn Richmond Northwest/Short Pump
Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Short Pump/I-64

Been to Courtyard Richmond Northwest/Short Pump? Share your experiences!