Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #12 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 27, 2007

This hotel is way downtown - I thought I could walk to the Convention Center - about 5 blocks up 5th St. - but it is all uphill. Thanks to the gracious bell staff, shuttle rides are available to anyplace you need to go downtown because there is nothing except parking lots and garages for blocks around the hotel. The room was comfortable but poorly lit - I left a broken light bulb which was in a lamp on the desk my first day and it was never replaced all week. The toilet splashed water out on the floor everytime someone upstairs flushed. The handicapped seat in the shower hung at a 45 degree angle making it difficult to shower without holding it up with one leg. The restaurants were overpriced and food was average. If it weren't for the friendly and helpful front desk and bell staff, this stay would have been a disappointment. Unless you receive a convention or heavily discounted rate - it is very overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank njdaveus
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed May 17, 2007

The young woman at the front desk was kind, reasonable, had a very professional presence, but she appeared to be the only employee on the premises.

The lobby looked clean and nice.

The carpets in the upper floors (I think I was on the sixth floor) were stained and had a lot of loose threads and open seams.

As I walked toward my room I heard a hotel guest talking on the telephone about her two children, both of whom apparently were in trouble with the law. She had her hotel door open.

The room itself was deep and narrow, so that my entry door was a long way from the window. If the entire outer wall had been window, there would have been considerable light in the room. As it was, the window took up only a small part of the outer wall. Consequently the room felt like a prison cell or maybe a chamber in a medieval castle with a single narrow window to shoot arrows out of. The drapes could not be pulled back so as to let in light--that is, the drapes would not stay pulled back.

The girl at the front desk did her best and offered me a room that was slightly larger.

Incidentally, there was no room with a window that would open, and smoking was permitted throughout the hotel.

The larger room smelled of tobacco smoke. The original room smelled like some kind of body fluid, or maybe just sweat.

In my bathroom, between the sink faucet fitting and the mirror, there was some brown stuff which could have been a very old cigarette, or something much worse. Whoever was supposed to be cleaning the rooms, hadn't cleaned that spot in a long time, in spite of the fact that it was very visible.

I went downstairs and told the desk clerk. She apologized and said she'd clean it as soon as she could get up there. I went out walking and found two hotels that were cleaner and offered me a substantially lower price. I went back to the Quality Inn two hours later and found the same dirt in my bathroom. I don't blame the desk clerk--she was the only worker in the hotel.

Since the room came with a written money-back guarantee, I told the desk clerk that I wanted to check out. She refunded my money.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2007

I was wary of booking this hotel after some of the negative reviews but my stay turned out fine. Yes, the hotel is older but my room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was fairly attentive. The hotel is geared more toward business travellers than families. There are no restaurants in immediate vicinity (the trendy restaurants in Shockhoe Slip is about 5-6 blocks away) and the neighborhood is deserted at night. I booked through Priceline and got a good deal for a three star hotel. It might not be good as the other three star hotels in town (Omni or Marriott), but I doubt you could have gotten those hotels for same price as the Crowne Plaza through Priceline. As long as you know what you are getting into and understand the limitations of the hotel, it should be fine. The garage is attached to the hotel and is convenient to get in and out. The high speed internet in the room was available free of charge.

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I was able to stay in a VERY PRICEY suite for $0 & I have no complaints. the room was beautiful & I was actually sad to go. I'm from Richmond & I would never pay top $$$ to stay anywhere in Richmond but this hotel is worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed December 11, 2006

Overall very nice hotel with reasonable price. The beds are super comfortable with a nice sleep kit along with it. Bathrooms are clean with nice toiletries and towels. Nice view of the river from some of the rooms. Overall very comfortable rooms.
I never ate at the restaurant, but the bar was OK...with a small menu. There is no gift shop which is a little annoying because there is literally nothing in immediate walking distance. Maybe I am spoiled by DC but this part of richmond is downright depressing...all the store fronts boarded up and there is nothing but big bank buildings. Seemed like a safe neighborhood at least though.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank lizzieliz2
Reviewed November 5, 2006

I stayed here for a weekend at a conference rate of 96$. The room was spacious and with good light. The bed was very comfortable. Both room and bathroom were spotless, with nice towels and toiletries. High-speed internet was available for free, and so was wireless in the lobby. The room was very quiet. They offer you a bag of goodies that are supposed to help you sleep. I guess it is handy if you forgot your earplugs, but the hotel is quiet enough for you to sleep well without them. They had a wedding and a lot of guests with a lot of kids, but my floor was blessedly silent. The hotel offers a guaranteed wakeup call (or the room is free for the night), but I did not test it.
Overall a very nice stay. The breakfast buffet was fine during weekdays, overpriced on sunday. Service was good and friendly enough. My only piece of advice: avoid Groome's Transportation. I had a very uncomfortable trip to the airport squeezed in a car with other 4 people (including the driver). The driver was 10 minutes late, and the trip took 10 minutes longer that what I was guaranteed on the phone (no, we did not meet any heavy traffic), which I suspect is what caused me to be bumped off my flight (that and the barely legal practice of overbooking-damned airlines). I was told on the phone that the driver was late because he was going to pick up other travellers. Great. I always work hard to be at the airport well ahead of time and Groome's just not reliable. Get a cab.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank gunnercade
Reviewed October 9, 2006

When I read the reviews I was a bit concerned. Overall it was a nice experience, especially for the $69 priceline price. A few odd things; when I got to the room, it was very spacious and clean; bathroom was nice too. It did however, have one double bed. This seemed odd to me, but it was clean and comfortable. Also, when I got to the room, the bed had what appeared to be a type of goodie bag. When I looked inside it had earplug, a sleeping mask, lotion, and a cd. My first thought was " are they under construction? No, its just Holiday inns apparent new marketing campaign. I found it to be rather silly. This would not be a good vacation type hotel but it is great for business. Overall, pretty good.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business