“It was free...and should have been”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 10, 2006

I called because we were already in town to see if we could get an early check in and was surprised to get a sure, come on over. Had a very pleasant check in. Room service was great the first day and then I had a meeting that night. Some people in my group had flown in from CA and were starving. They ordered in the bar at 9:00 and received their food at 10:30pm...of course, it ended up being free but they would have settled for it arriving on time.

The next day was when we encountered issues. I set my wakeup call for 6:30. At 6:40am I happened to wake up and look at the clock. I called the lobby and told them and they argued with me that I didn't set it correctly. On the elevator I found that several from our group didn't get their wakeup. What a pain to have to drag down to the lobby to get your card punched each time you leave because we didn't get valet parking. Also, we were in the "quiet zone of hotel floors" and weren't supposed to hear a maid until 10:00 am. They were banging around at 9:00am.

The next day I got to my meeting and called my hubby to see if he was going to meet me for lunch since I had to meet from 8:30 am til' 9:00 pm. He told me there was no water for him to shower. Try back later. It was finally back on at 1:00 (after my lunch) and it was funny that the restaurant and meeting rooms had water. Then the water ran black for a while.

The next morning I hear the paper hit my door early, then you hear whoosh (the bill under the door) ... remember this is a quiet zone. Then the black water again.

I was there for a conference so my room was free. I will never pay to stay at this hotel.

Stayed: February 2006
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

There are newer reviews for Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown

Chesapeake VIrginia
Reviewed February 4, 2006

We stayed here for 1 night and there is NOTHING I have to complain about for this hotel. The room was beautiful and extremely clean, the front desk clerks were very friendly, and the location was perfect for visting VCU.I highly recommend this hotel for its cleanliness and hospitality and the price was affordable as well.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business

Reviewed January 29, 2006

I stayed here with friends through Priceline. For the money, it was a pretty good deal. The hotel in general, as well as our room, was very clean. The hotel staff was extremely courteous and knowledgable. Plus, the hotel is an easy seven block walk to the Shockoe Slip, which had plenty of nightlife and restaurant selections. However, the Omni is actually a nicer hotel and is in the heart of the Shockoe Slip...if you're just going through the published Internet rates, it is probably worth staying there instead.

• Stayed: January 2006

Reviewed December 20, 2005

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights just before Christmas and most of what I had read is pretty accurate. If you come here expecting a typical Crowne Plaza, you will be disappointed. If you look at the price point where this hotel has placed itself, you will be satisfied.

The hotel is not what one would expect of a Crowne Plaza. The bathroom had a faceplate missing on an outlet, the carpet was old and worn, the decor was thrown together, the heat was not controlled by the thermastat in the room. I turned it all the way up upon my arrival and the temperature stayed between 64 and 65 degrees. This was not bad, but if you are going to give me a temperature control in my room, I expect it to control the temperature.

On a good side, the bed was fairly comfortable, the bedding was nice, the room was clean, the hotel is convenient to Shockoe Slip (about 5 blocks) and just a long walk or short drive from Shockoe Bottom (about 10 blocks). I would not recommend the hotel for a woman traveling alone as the streets are very dark and could be dangerous. The restaurant was closed for the holidays, so I cannot comment on it.

The price made it a good value for me. If you are looking for a value near downtown, give this a try. If you want an upscale hotel, choose one closer to Shockoe Slip.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business

Reviewed September 19, 2005

I stay at the Crowne Plaza in Richmond at least one full week a year. In previous years, I've had very few good things to say about it (it seemed determined to go downhill far enough to have Crowne Plaza declare it no longer met the standards of the franchise), but this year is different.

The hotel just finished a major renovation. All rooms have been considerably upgraded, but the price is still extremely reasonable. The staff responded to every request promptly and met the needs of this demanding business traveler.

I've never seen a hotel breakfast restaurant have so few diners, but most mornings the place is way too quiet, in spite of a decent buffet with cooked-to-order omelets and full menu service. The Starbucks in the lobby is a welcome addition.

Request a "river view" room both for a fantastic view of the historic James River and to avoid having the early morning sun blast into your room.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank TVTravel

Rockville, MD
Reviewed October 20, 2004

Although I stayed in a non-smoking room located on 13th floor there was a musty smell as though someone had been smoking recently in the room. The smoke detector was hanging by a wire from the ceiling and appeared to be missing it's battery.
There were pages missing from the guest services book on the desk. There was no phone on the desk but wall plug in internet access was available but no directions provided. Bathroom was well supplied but small. Thin walls enabled one to hear conversations next door. Staff was nice and food was good from restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

We appreciate your feedback.

Durham, NC
Reviewed August 28, 2004

The hotel is tawdry, in desparate need of a really good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint. It seemed somewhat short-staffed, although the staff there tried to be helpful. It did not smell clean or fresh. The price was very high relative to the complete lack of quality

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

We appreciate your feedback.