“Good Value, Location, Service”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Great Value -Tthis hotel was a great deal relative to the location. Note that a lot of construction is still occurring in downtown and by the riverfront but that was not too much of a big deal here.

Location - The hotel is convenient to the Landmark Theater, the restaurant district, and many riverwalk areas; the shuttle is always available to take you to these places (all within a mile or two) and a great benefit (Corey our driver was exceptional).

Service - Staff are very friendly - from the check-in rep, to an employee in the elevator, to the shuttle driver = either people are just naturally more friendly in the south or management is training these folks well.

Being loyal Hilton fans, we were originally going to stay at the Doubletree, but got scared off by some of the reviews (nothing terrible but enough to make us consider other options). I think we made the right decision with the Crowne Plaza.

Explorer note: Take the walk over to Belle Island and explore - really neat to hike and an amazing island.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Recruiting
There are newer reviews for Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown

Reviewed June 4, 2008

We stayed at this hotel while meeting family for a college graduation. We were close enough to walk to the convention center. Location was great, right off of freeway. I didn't like all the toll roads, but that isn't the hotels fault. I don't like having to pay to park at a hotel, but I guess you get that at any downtown hotel. Amenities were nice, no problems with check in or check out. Room size was nice. I was most impressed with the fact that my husband left his new sandals in the room and I called and left a message with housekeeping. Even though it took them 2 weeks to get back to us, they called and said they had the sandals and shipped us to them for free. That was really impressive. Would stay again. I recommend booking early to get the best rates.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel two times -- once on a business trip in July 2007 and once before a yearly 10k run I do in Richmond each March.

The hotel itself is dated -- not terribly old, but it has a decour from the late 80s or early 90s.

It is very clean, however. One night i had a room with two beds, which was clean, albeit rather basic. The second time I stayed there -- with the pregnant wife -- the staff there was nice enough to give us a free upgrade to a king, and the room was exceptionally nice, without being a suite.

Service is strong. Between the two hotels in downtown Richmond (along with the Omni) they are both reasonably nice. I would stay at either again, though I'm probably willing to pay a little more at the Crowne becuase of the great service they've shown me in the past.

Solid choice for the money. Four stars.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2008

My daughter's cheerleading team chose this hotel for a competition we were attending in the Richmond area so I had no input into this choice of hotel, but I had no problems. I came here to write my review and was surprised to see the negative reviews regarding this property. Our room was clean and modernly furnished, especially the bathroom. Clean linens and nice toiletries. Beds were very comfortable as well. We didn't use the pool, but many of the younger kids in our group did enjoy this feature. We had drinks and appetizers in the bar. Beware when ordering a martini that you ask for premium vodka. I ordered a watermelon martini and hated it! It was terrible. The next night I tasted the same drink of a friend and theirs was good. When I asked the bartender why the difference, the same bartender from the night before who prepared my martini as well, he stated because they asked for Grey Goose, he used Smirnoff in mine. I asked why the heck would he give me that bottom grade vodka! It ruined the drink. I did get one that night with Ciroc vodka and it was good. The buffalo wings were excellent! Very moist and tender. Also felt the breakfast buffet was moderately priced and good selection of food. The gifts for Priority Club members at check in was a nice touch as well as the sleep kit in the room which included a sleep mask, ear plugs and linen spray.

We also took advantage of the free shuttle and he took us to a wonderful local restaurant where we had some excellent fish! Try The Croaker Spot if you enjoy some good fish. The only negative would be that check in was very slow. I don't have any idea why it was so slow, they had 3 people processing check in, but it took a while. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed November 18, 2007

The room's were not nice. My room had two holes in the way, a broken fan in the bathroom and one broken electrical outlet. I was travelling with a group and my associates reported similar problems.

The hot tub did not work, neither did the sauna. After repeated attempts to inform management, the hotel finally sent an "engineer" in to take a look. The engineer entered the pool area, wrinkled his nose, asked us if the hot tub worked, to which we responded, no, and left. The water never warmed. We asked to speak to the hotel manager, who never arrived. The bar manager arrived instead, and after much arguing agreed to give us dessert on the house.

We proceeded to the hotel's restaurant, only to be served some awful food. It was gross; the only edible part was the ice cream.

I will never return to this place. I hope hotel management reads this review. You have a lot of work to do to improve customers' experiences.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank cpa_economist
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed October 11, 2007

lots of mixed reviews...i came anyway! in town for a convention,
we found this to be the perfect spot to start from. centrally located to all downtown activities and night life...........great heated indoor pool and spa.parking garage with easy access to your room. great beds and furnishings..a desk too!!
the only problem during our 3 night stay...we asked for a wakeup call for 6 am to make a 7:30 meeting...we didn't get it! we awoke at 7:15 and rushed the rest of the day. we notified the desk and told them what had happened..they apologized...when we got to the room ..the next night..there was a package on the bed..with a bottle of wine..a certificate for starbucks in the hotel and a free breakfast in the restaurant.....this was great! when we checked out.....they deducted one night from our stay!!
good business!! we'll be back!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank pigbbq
Reviewed August 25, 2007

BEWARE!! My employer selected this hotel for a 5 day conference. My company and my co-workers seriously regret that decision. 4 out of 5 employees had major problems with their room ranging from extended waits for check in, dirty room upon check in (including dirty, stained and smelly bed linens, hair in bed and shower, unemptied trash cans, dirty, moldy showers and tubs etc.) SERIOUSLY!! The health inspector needs to review this hotel because there were serious health violations present in regards to their food preparation...A co-worker found a finger nail in her danish, I found an unedible/unidentifiable item in my cake, rock hard and stale bread, stale and frost bitten cookies and pastries, I found hair in food, improperly cleaned plates and utensils. There were wobbly and broken chairs and furniture, and a scalding hot hot tub. Many employees including myself complained that housekeeping either skipped cleaning their rooms for days or only partially cleaned the room for example I shared a room and had 2 double beds in my room and only one bed was remade, they only emptied one trash can in my room, they didn't clean the bath/shower, they only changed/replaced a couple of our used towels the others were left wet and crumpled on the counter and the toilet paper not refilled and extras were not left. I had to call the front dest for more toilet paper and they only sent up one roll mind you that there were two people in the room etc. Also there was SERIOUS mechanical problems encountered by quite a few co-workers including an A/C unit not working after several attempts by hotel staff to fix it. A couple of co-workeres reported that their rooms did not have power! Even more outragous is the way the front desk seemed to gloss over my complaints and the complaints from my co-workers. When I checked out they asked if I had enjoyed my stay I told them NO...their response was " sorry to hear that". We all were so happy to leave that DUMP!!! Dont let the name fool you! You would be better off staying at a Motel! BEWARE!!! The CROWN PLAZA IS A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING! ITS REALLY A DUMP!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank MommyBean

Thank you for your feedback!