“The staff makes the stay”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were with a large travel group, who chose the hotel. They could not have made a better choice for a downtown hotel! The staff here is amazing! The hotel itself is quite large, a bit older but very well maintained. The room was clean and comfortable, no issues or complaints at all. It was exactly as you would expect in a Crowne Plaza.
The breakfast buffet offered in the Pavilion restaurant was consistently excellent with full offerings of hot and cold items, including eggs to order. The dining staff was as fabulous as everyone else who works at this hotel. I did not eat any other meals there, but assume the food would be excellent at other meals as well.
What amazed me the most was how the staff handled our large group. There were 5 tour bus loads staying here for a weekend. Some of the guests were, at times, less than pleasant. Not once did I see a staff member anywhere in the hotel, from the bell and shuttle service, concierge desk, bar staff, restaurant staff, housekeeping, anywhere, treat a guest with less than a courteous smile and a helpful answer to questions! I stay in a lot of hotels, and was highly impressed with the staff's patience and professionalism.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and would gladly stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear ca davies, thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review!!! Southern Hospitality is alive here at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Please return soon...

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Downtown, although part of a well-known chain, manages to make you feel as though you are staying with family. This was our third visit to this hotel, and we were treated like old and dear friends. The facilities are good - our room was very comfortable, and had all the necessary facilities, including free Wifi, fridge, coffee maker, safe etc, and had a glorious view over the river. The showers are good, and the bath was very welcome for a long soak. There is a great swimming pool and hot tub, and the hotel shuttle service was very efficient in getting us to and from restaurants and shops in Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom. The shuttle doesn't go as far as Carytown, but will drop you a few blocks away, so it is only a short walk. There are also computers available for guest use. The staff are wonderful - friendly and efficient, and so welcoming. They are what makes the experience here a special one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel with a view over the river. One room we were given on the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear RandEOZ, thank you for taking the time during your travels to review our hotel. Your comments and observations are greatly appreciated.... Yes what a glorious view!!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have never stayed at a hotel that is like The Crowne Plaza Downtown. The staff is so caring & treat you like royalty. I had tripped outside & fell due to my own clumsiness & a wonderful woman by the name of Althea came rushing out & grabbed all my bags & myself. She held onto my arm & brought me up to my room where she sat me down & put bags of ice on my injuries. She made sure that I was well taken care of before she left me. I felt like I was in good hands. She made me feel safe & waited on me until she knew I was alright. She was like my guardian angel. Another woman was J L, who came & bandaged me up & made sure that I had everything I needed & didn't leave me alone until my husband arrived. Before leaving me she took photos of my injuries & followed the proper procedures. If we ever go back to Richmond, we are going to stay there. These wonderful people had touched me so that I was crying when we left. If we ever get to go to the Richmond again we will make sure that we stay here.We were truly blessed to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Greeeaaat
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Greeeaaat, thank you for your wonderful sincere feedback. We are hopeful you are healing and will return soon.

Scott Jones, GM

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is downtown, blocks away from restaurants and the capital. I was travelling alone, and did not feel comfortable walking alone at night to an external restaurant. The area was not very busy, and most places were closed at night.

The hotel is not new, and it clearly has been renovated. Bedding, furniture, etc. were nice and updated, but little hints of the hotel age remain, like old doors, old fixtures, and old grout around the tub. The room did have a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, but nothing outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sondra G
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Sondra G, thank you for taking the time to share valuable feedback about your staff. We are constantly updating our property in an attempt to better your experience.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a late booking. It was a lovely hotel. We had no complaints whatsoever. The rooms were comfortable, view over the river which was lovely. Totally enjoyed our stay and breakfast was lovely

Room Tip: River view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Jane 23121958, thak you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. We hope you return soon to Enjoy Another Stay!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family has been staying in this hotel for the past 3 years whenever we go down to Richmond. And the service never fails. Staff is always courteous, friendly, always ready to help. There prices are always reasonable and the shuttle drivers and service is always great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank YB814

Dear YB814, thank you for your business over three years and for sharing your experience. Service That Never Fails!!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This hotel is located in the buisness district of Richmond. Its also not the nicest area but I feel as if that is not the hotels fault. The hotel has a nice pool and hot tub. Great to relax at night. The restaraunt is a bit over priced, but its ok if your paying $97 a night. The rooms are clean and an average size. The lobby is very open and welcoming with elevators nearby to bring luggage up to the rooms. The only thing I would recomend is bigger beds if there are more than 1 adult in a bed.

Room Tip: End rooms are bigger
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Hello Jeff P, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel... Our pool and hot tub as you said offer a great way to relax and have been a hit this summer. We look forward to reserving a King room the next time!!