“Great Design, Proximity was good, Service was bit weak”

Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Norfolk, Virginia
“Great Design, Proximity was good, Service was bit weak”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just like the looks of this hotel so there is a bit of halo effect. I have not stayed at this location in years but the view facing the river was excellent and on this very warm weekend, there was no ice in any of the machines on any floors. On some floors the soda machine did not work. Rooms were large and clean and the hallways looked fresh. People at the front desk seemed very slow but friendly. Parking on the street was okay for those who do not want to pay the extra fees. This is a great location for using the Richmond Canal trails. We used priceline and received an excellent price and received a nice room on the 11th floor. I walked extensively from this location around town and on the trails but it does seem off to itself backed up to a limited access highway. Nevertheless the room was very quiet, the bed was great, the towels large and the lemon-fragrance soap was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Select a room on the Riverside and above 6th floor for the view. Above 10th floor for the quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hello Robert B, thank you for your feedback. We have made adjustments to our vending levels to handle those soldout weekends. You are right we have a great location!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was pleased with my experience here at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown. The place was very clean, the beds very comfortable, furniture was modern, clean and fresh looking. Front desk was responsive to any request and breakfast was terrific and the service was excellent. Next time I have to come in Richmond I’ll definitely use this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hello Daniel F, good to hear your glowing remarks. We are thankful that your took the time to share your experience. Please return soon to your Perfect Location...
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 21, 2013

For the price, we would have liked to have seen a continental breakfast instead of the $2 Starbuck's coffee that was waiting for us. If there was one, we were never told about it. Also paid to park our car, so the total price for our two nights was more than three nights stay at another very acceptable chain.

Location was convenient to several places to walk, so we can't complain about that. Nice view out our window on the tenth floor. Room was nicely sized and comfortable, but the bedding had a sour smell. That ruined a comfy sleep for me.

Would rather stay somewhere that is more reasonably priced, as I'm sure the quality would be just as good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christy l
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for the review of our Hotel, and noting some positive comments. I am sorry to hear you did not realize that the Hotel has several areas in which you could get meals, rather than just Starbucks Coffee. The Hotel has a full-service restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and also has a full-service Lounge that serves a wonderful menu as well, which opens at 2PM. There is also a 24-hour pantry directly to the left of the front desk, which is open 24 hours/day offering an assortment of food, coffee and misc. sundries. The Hotel's parking garage rates are actually 15%-20% lower than any other downtown Hotel, and we are one of the few downtown Hotels that does not have mandatory valet parking. The Hotel updated all of the guestroom bedding, so I am wondering if the smell you mentioned was simply because all of our bedding is new. Regardless, we are sorry that you did not sleep well, as we want everyone to have a perfect night's sleep when they are away from home. Thank you again, and I do hope you will stay with us again.
cleveland,ohio
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was very difficult to locate the parking at this hotel. Equally as difficult to get in and out due to traffic in both directions. The parking lot is under construction so there were cones and yellow tape. The front desk was friendly and helpful and there is a couresty van service that will take you downtown. There is a microwave and frig in the room. We had 2 beds and mine had a strand of blonde hair...mine is dark brown. My mom notice a stain on her sheet that was dark brown. We notice 2 strands of hair in the shower (before we took a shower). I stay in lots of hotels and hair in the shower or bed creeps me out. We called for maid service the next day and requested them to change the sheets because of the stain and strand of hair in the bed and shower. When we returned that night once again noticed they did not change the sheets or clean the shower. How nasty is this? I couldn't wait to check out of this hotel. The breakfast buffet was good but the staff lacked personality. We paid $256 + $10 parking for WHAT?

Room Tip: Check your sheets and shower before you get to your room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear tayshan1, thank you for communicating your experience. I would like to apologize for your experience and can assure you we are meeting with our department head to resolve. This is not acceptable and will be corrected. We have completed our resurfacing of our P1 level of our parking lot and thus are enjoying its benefits. Our private parking garage connected to our hotel is a great benefit to all of our customers with wonderful access to the downtown expressway. Again thank you for your feedback and we hope to have a second chance to provide the experience that you deserve.

Seaford, Delaware
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I just stayed at the Crown Plaza over the weekend. I was there for a conference at the Richmond Convention Center. I found the hotel very clean and the rooms were nice. I found the bedding very comfortable. We had a great view of the river from our room. The staff were pleasant, but we found one of the bellman, Train, especially helpful. He was always helpful and was a pleasure whether transporting us via the shuttle, or when loading our luggage. The most negative thing was the distance from downtown restaurants. Our stay was pleasant...thanks so much!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tammy2911
Dear Tammy2911, thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our shuttle service and Train have provided a very popular service for our customers. Thank you for the kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed that great view from our hotel...

Rocklin, California
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked about 10 rooms for a family wedding over Memorial Day weekend. We got a great rate, gorgeous river views, & a good location downtown Richmond. The front desk especially but all of the staff we encountered were very nice & helpful. We are priority club so we got a few extras. We had breakfast included with our rate which was nice. The only downside was the cost of breakfast for members of our group that did not have it included. I definitely would recommend this hotel for a group!

Room Tip: Ask for a River View, very scenic!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joy P, thank you for booking our hotel for a wonderful family/wedding Memorial Day weekend. Your kind comments about our staff, location and great view are much appreciated. We hope to see your family again soon.

Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our family used a special deal set up by my niece the weekend of her wedding on June 1. For that reason alone, I can't be too critical of this facility. However, now that I've experienced this hotel, I am not sure I'd return. Why? Well, the beds and pillows were way too soft. Our entire party, representing about 3 rooms, said the same thing. I was able to request a different pillow for my second night (and gave a tip) and then I slept a lot better. The toilet in our room (1517) seemed to settle whenever I sat on it...a bit disconcerting. The flat-screen t.v. had very fuzzy reception on some channels, both local and national. I was watching one show and it was hard to adjust to the rhythmic interludes of decent vs fuzzy reception, and that lasted throughout the program.
We had vouchers for $3.00 discount on the buffet breakfast and we ate there both mornings of our stay. There was really nowhere else we could've walked to in this area of downtown Richmond. It was so-so, some of the party complained that the eggs were cold, the pancakes dry and the cut-up fruit over-ripe. On Sunday (when the cost mysteriously jumped) I ordered a made-to-order omelette which was very good, but some in the party said they were told there would be no more replenishment of food items and this was well before the 11am close. Otherwise, the customer service was efficient and I have nothing but kudos for the staff I encountered.
Joseph, who offered me a new pillow was especially kind. One last thing: coming out of the elevator on our floor, I could see a lovely view of the river and railroad; however, our room was on the other side and we had no real view...just city buildings and back streets. If you want that nice view, be sure to ask for an even-numbered room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. The 13th floor has a so-called "quiet zone" as noted on a post...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear CarlOt, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. This morning I have had the connection to the TV and the toilet seat adjusted. I have passed on your input concerning our breakfast buffet to our F&B Director. My apologies that these adjustments had not been made before you checked in. Our pillow top beds and heavenly pillows have been a hit with many however we do attempt to have a selection of pillows if needed. Many wedding blocks are not set to cover Sunday night stays, however we do allow if the need to extend occurs. Thank you for mentioning our view over looking the River and the service you received...