“concert stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Williamsburg, Virginia
“concert stay”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed the night (a Sunday) of the Matchbox 20 concert in Richmond. The location is good and it is well appointed. Also, the ammenities in the bathroom were upper scale. The front desk staff were not overly friendly but the girls tending bar were nice. Also, the bar was open late, after we returned from the concert. Not to mention, Richmond is such a fun town to visit! We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa B
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear LIsa B, thank you for your review. I had heard several people had enjoyed the local concert and as you stated while having fun in Richmond. Our ammenity upgrades that are new have been added along with our new inroom carpet and moderized ceilings. Again thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza..

C. Scott Jones, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Greek first
vaRN10
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night, Friday March 8th. I was in town for a conference at the Marriott, but the Marriott was booked as they were hosting the CAA conference.

I will try to make this long ordeal as brief as possible. The main points are that when I checked into my room around 10:15 that night - I noticed a 2 inch rip in the pillowcase as I was getting ready to turn down the bed. Too bad the linens look worn, but I can get over that. The tear drew my eye to a long hair on the pillowcase behind the torn one. Hmm, a fluke - the housekeepers perhaps? I felt I had better take a closer look.

Upon pulling down the sheets, I saw that one side of the bend was wrinkled, and there was HAIR in the bed on that side. In addition, there were crumbs on the top corner by the pillows. Clearly, these sheets had been slept on and the bed remade to appear clean. The rest of the room was 'clean' - new toiletries and towels in the bathroom, etc. I called the front desk and obtained a key to a new room. I was clearly disgusted, but when the supervisor, Ja'el, explained they had a new housekeeper and would handle the issue (and the fact that it was now 11pm) I accepted the new room.

When I entered the new room (on a different floor) the first thing I did was check the bed. Upon pulling down the sheets, again, there was hair all along the bottom of the bed, between the sheets. Thoroughly disgusted, I called the front desk again. The supervisor returned (saw the problem herself) with fresh sheets and an apology, and she personally stripped and remade the bed while we both checked the sheets.

The rest of the room appeared to have undergone a cursory cleaning - surfaces wiped (except for a puddle of water on a nightstand) etc but there was still hair on the floor in the corners of the bathroom. If it had not been 11:30 at night, and the rest of the hotels booked up because of the basketball tournament, I would have left for another hotel. It begs the question - if there are these obvious problems with cleanliness...what other problems are not as obvious??

In the morning, I left my number for the manager to call me regarding a full refund. Unfortunately, the bill had not been adjusted overnight, and there was not a note of my experience - both things promised by the supervisor that had helped the night before. I did not receive a return call, so I called again that afternoon and spoke to Regina Smith in the accounts payable department. Ms. Smith was wonderful, very helpful and also appalled at the situation. She made sure that my stay and parking was fully refunded. She also put me in touch with the director of housekeeping, a woman named Mary. Mary called me on Sunday and also assured me the situation had been dealt with and apologized. Both women offered me a free stay at the hotel (I declined). I also received a call from the GM yesterday (after I had left a message Tuesday), also apologizing and assuring me that the problem was resolved.

While this was a terrible experience and I will not stay at this hotel again, I am appreciative that the management team refunded the full amount of my stay and stated that the problem was investigated and fixed. I do wish that management had been more proactive in following up with me, and I had not had to leave my number and call several times for followup.

I hope that my situation, and my interaction with management, helps to eliminate this issue for any future guests (should anyone choose to stay there).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear vaRN10, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your stay as I stated in our phone conversation was clearly unacceptable. I again apoligize for your stay and the multiple problems you have experienced. I also want to again apologize that your credit for your room was not processed from our system until the day of your check out and did not appear on your folio because of an aurthorization that was needed until the next business day. As you stated we have reviewed these details with all individuals included the Manager on duty, executive housekeeping management team, and our accounting manager that called you over the weekend. Again thank you for taking the time to share your review.

C. Scott Jones
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked this hotel for a valentine weekend getaway , the rooms were very clean bed were comfortable great locations , we got a deal with free parking and free full breakfast , our stay was great , the bartender Earnest was the best he took care of us very professional he made us feel right at home we revisited the bar both nights thanks to Earnest, the hotel itself was very clean a smelled refreshed in the hallways and through out the hotel , we would stay again , the only compliant I had was the walls were way to thin we could hear both our neighbors full conversations ,but everything else was a go oh and we also had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne delivered to our room .

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cblady
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hello CBLady, I am glad you and your husband enjoyed your Valentine Getaway! We hope you return for our July 4th Romantic Fireworks!
Medford NJ
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this property rooms are very clean staff is very helpful I will stay again would highly recommend. My room was recently remolded,spa is very nice exceptionally clean Valet parking location is downtown price is exceptional for the quality of the hotel. had dinner in the restaurant while there are other good restaurants within walking distance food was excellent dined there the second night

Room Tip: Most of the rooms seem to have been recently remodeled very nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Matt K
Hello Matt K, thank you for taking your time to provide you feedback and review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return soon.
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Positives: Price was right, room clean, pool nice for indoor, staff friendly & helpful, good view of river, comfy chair was a plus.

Negatives: Walls could have been better soundproofed, no restaurants within close walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for riverside, higher up.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chiefwj
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear chiefwj, thank you fo taking the time to post a review of our property. We offer two shuttle vans that connect to over 75 fantastic restaurants ranging from Shockoe Slip four blocks to the Historic Shockoe Bottom ranging 10 blocks. I apologize that this was not pointed out so that you could take advantage.

Sincerely Scott Jones, General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We came in for a Friday through Sunday reunion with a small group of friends. Stayed in the 2 story suite on the 15th/16th floor which was very clean and well appointed as well as a few connecting rooms. Complimentary breakfast was great each morning as was the wait staff. Janet at the front desk always had waters for us and was very helpful with directions. Can't say enough about Thomas who offered to shuttle us to nearby restaurants and bars. Only complaint was hot tub was cool. Overall staff and property were great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jed G
Dear Jed G, thank you for such glowing feedback. Great to gather with old friends. We have changed the temp in our Hot Tub so that it is nice and comfortable for the winter.

See you soon, Scott Jones, General Manager
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was notified by my company on Friday, Jan 18, 2013, that I would need to travel to downtown Richmond, VA. on Monday, Jan 21, 2013. With a short notice, I looked for a room that would be convenient to my meeting in downtown Richmond, VA. I also wanted to make my stay comfortable an nice so I viewed hotels in the downtown area in the $120-$160 per night range. I came across the Crowne Plaza & per the Internet reviews and photos, I was excited to stay there. The only positive was that it was 3 blocks from my meeting. First, they should mention there is a $.30 toll as you come off the interstate ramp just yards away from the hotel. (You must have exact change). Then, the hotel was nothing like I imagined. My room was on the 13th floor (go figure), and the room was very small. It also had 2 access doors to adjoining rooms. The bed was barely bigger than a twin size bed, and seemed old. (The description on line said it was a "Very Large Queen" size) the TVs were flat screen, but no HD, so the picture was weak. The walls were so thin that when my neighbors came in at 2:00am, drunk and talking about hookers and so forth, I felt as if they were coming thru the access doors. It was extremely frustrating to lose sleep, knowing my alarm clock was set to go off within 2.5 more hours. Then, when I did awake to my alarm clock and went do to the gym to run, again, I was disappointed to find a very small "fitness room" with only 3 treadmills. I did notice a sign on the wall that stated that I could have access to a larger fitness room for an additional cost.. Backing up to the night prior, I wanted to relax in a lounge and eat a good steak. Not possible. The small, and dirty lounge had 1 TV on and was tuned to WWE Wrestling, something I am not a fan of, but apparently the bartender was, being that he kept unbuttoning his shirt to show off his appreciation for Wrestling with his tv he was sporting underneath.. After looking at the menu, I asked if I could order from the restaurant and receive my food where I was sitting in the lounge. He said yes, but that I wouldn't be able to get my salad... So I order Salmon,, along with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes. A few min later, he got a call saying they were out of broccoli, so I chose asparagus.. Without even asking the staff, he quickly replied, "We are out of that, too." He then suggested green beans, referencing the fact that they were green and I was trying to order a green vegetable. I declined and thought I would just enjoy my salmon and potatoes. Then the food came out, and low and behold there was broccoli all over my plate. The broccoli was overlooked, the mashed potatoes were greasy (that's right, I said greasy), and the salmon tasted bad. So bad that I feared it would ruin my desire for salmon in the future. I nibbled at my plate, then went to bed (after paying my $30 food bill). So back to the morning, I thought I would eat a good breakfast after my workout.. Especially since I wasn't about to attempt another cup of the "worse coffee I have ever had." There wasn't any place downstairs that had a simple continental breakfast. I discovered a menu to fill out and hang on my door. And they would leave my breakfast at my door. Something I am definitely not fond of being that I was downtown. I thought 2 eggs, toast and bacon might be good, but then I saw it was $12.50. Now, don't get me wrong, I know u pay more, traveling, & I accept that. What I don't accept is being taken advantage of. I noticed that there would be a $2.00 service fee added, tax, and a 20% gratuity added. So now my 2 eggs and toast were gonna cost me $18-$19. Whatever!!! So, I didn't eat breakfast, either.. To sum it up,, I am not one to complain, but I felt like I had to in this instance.. My hope is that I can get to someone who anticipates a nice place to relax while on a short business trip, like I did, and encourage them to look elsewhere for their stay. I know that I will not go back there and stay, ever again... KWL

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Kendubya,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,