“Best hotel expierience ever!!”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have worked in the hospitality industry for almost 6 years now and was extremely impressed by this hotel and it's staff. My mother and I were running late for a show at the Landmark Theater and the staff quickly checked us in, held our bags until we returned, and called the shuttle for us. The shuttle driver, Ed, was very pleasant, professional, and prompt. When the show was over we called Ed to pick us up and we waited no longer than 5 mins. Our room and view was AMAZING! At around 12:30 I asked the night auditor , Marlyn, if they had a plastic bowl for my food, she completely went out of her way to get my mother and I 2 nice dish bowls. Also a little later I asked Marlyn for an extra pack of reg. coffee, which there were no more at front desk. I told her dont worry about it, yet a few mins later i had a knock at the door and it was security delivering my coffee. Marlyn completely went out of her way to help and she is an asset to Crowne Plaza. As well as Ed, I felt safe and secure riding with him. Thank you guys!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2015

Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown

Reviewed April 7, 2012

One night business trip to Richmond VA. - hotel was quite good and staff was excellent. I would stay here again anytime.
The expression "bend over backward" must have been invented here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with a good A/C and river view.
1  Thank yellowpixels
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2015

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Please return soon to your Great Place to Stay!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My company recommended I stay here since it is just a 1 block walk to our office building. This would not be a hotel I would normally stay in, but it was nice. The bathrooms are (at least the one in my room) still tiled in the shower/tub area, but has been updated with new cabinets and such. My room with the king size bed had a mini fridge and microwave. The view I had was of the MWV building and the river so it was pretty nice too. The workout facility is small, some might call it efficient. 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, 2 stationary bikes, one somewhat customizable weight machine and 1 curl bar (free weight). All equipment seemed to be in good condition. Now on to the down sides. The thermostats are all energy efficient and I believe some how keyed to the room key or motion in the room. I set it for 67 and had temps all the way from 65 to 72. As I laid in bed trying to sleep I heard the person in the room next to me on their cell phone. I could hear every word. Shortly there after I could hear snoring like they were in my bathroom. This morning I was unwillingly awakened twice. Once from the cell phone alarm clock of the room on one side of me at 530am. The second time was at 6am by the room on the other side. This one let his cell phone alarm clock with a electric guitar tone go on for several minutes. I almost got out of bed and banged on the wall to wake him up. Then the actual alarm clock went off BLARING loud rock music which must have woke him up finally, since both were turned off shortly thereafter.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Dear Wendy-Cake Turner, thank you for staying with the Crowne Plaza Richmond and for providing a helpful review. I apoligize that we did not provide more infomation about our auto vs on provision with our thermostats in our effort to provide a Green hotel. I also apoligize for the lack of consideration from the guest staying in the room next door. I would like to offer our Quiet Zone on our 13th floor for your future stays.
C. Scott Jones, GM

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Pros:

Love my room. On the 9th floor, great views and it's a Priority members Suite. It is a small suite but nice.

Staff have all been wonderful, kind and helpful.

I really think the price of the room is quite fair for the location and accommodations.

Cons:

In this economy it bothers me that I have to pay $12.00 to park in the hotels parking garage.

The walls are very thin. You can hear everything.

The restaurant and bar were nice but the food choices were minimal and very over priced.

Overall I had a good experience

Room Tip: My room was on the ninth floor and I had a great view of the James River. This room was a Priority...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Overall a great experience, with the exception of one thing, a fire alarm went off at 5:00 am which I believe had an affect on the ODU basketball team during the CAA Tourney.

My first impression was not with Althea, but another person who I cannot remember her name. When Althea came to the counter and the atmosphere changed, I felt WELCOMED at the Crowne Plaza. Prior to Althea, I felt like a number, NEXT? I was travelling with 2 others and even though different people assisted us all, we all was welcomed by Althea who eventually took care of all of us and was the person who we sought after at the counter.

She provided great customer service to us all, I felt like family with her not just a guest in the hotel.

After my encounter with Althea, I have nothing but praise for the Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Back rooms had a view of a River.
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I had an overall great experience at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown but there were a few things that kept it from being really excellent.

There were lots of positives--
* great location that was really easy to find and convenient to where I needed to be for meetings (James Monroe Government Offices)
* Very clean lobby, room, bed, sheets, bathroom... everything! Very clean. :-)
* I was on the 15th floor which is a club-level room with lounge privileges. At first I was a little freaked out because the lounge was closed that evening but I found out that, in its place, they were holding a full buffet Priority Club Members party on the 2nd floor so I would not miss out what, for me, is a free dinner. The spread included a wonderful veggie, fruit, cheese and crackers tray, meat lasagna, an pasta casserole with vegetables in alfredo sauce, and General Zso's chicken. They were also providing free alcohol and sodas and cannoli's for dessert. It was a nice gesture for its Priority Club Member guests and a pre-St. Patrick's day party.
* Free wi-fi is always a win in my book and there's worked quite well.
* Convenient parking garage attached to the building (discounted parking for hotel guests).
* Anthony, the shuttle driver, was my savior for getting me to my client meeting and back when my rental car wouldn't start and Sherman (one of the bellhops) was my savior for helping me to get my car to start when I returned from my client meeting. Without these two wonderful men, I managed to still get to my meeting on time and to the airport on time for my flight home. Seriously can't say enough about how above and beyond these two Crowne Plaza reps went to help me out. I can't say the same for the nice, but non-helpful front desk staff (see below).

The negatives--
* Suuuper thin walls; I could hear every word of the guest next door who was on his phone and you could tell he was speaking at a completely normal volume. I had no issues sleeping because he must have turned in around the same time so I really wasn't bothered by the thin walls, but I definitely wanted to point out that, if you have a neighbor who is on a different sleep schedule than you who might want to watch tv all night, you will likely hear every word.
* Pillows were too thick for my sleeping preference so, despite how comfy the bed was, I had a lot of trouble falling asleep. Would love it if they offered at least one feather pillow in the room because then I would have slept like a baby.
* The front desk staff were all very nice but could have done several things to really be of service to me as a guest at their hotel. 1) I had to call down to get the code for the free wi-fi... this should have been automatically included in the key packet as it usually is at other Crowne Plazas. Minor issue, but it was irritating to not have it readily available when I was trying to log on. 2) I was not asked any details about the car I parked in the garage at check-in. The clerk just noticed I had a ticket for the garage and put the charge into the computer for my bill. If she had just asked what color and make/model of car I was driving I could have avoided the next morning's debacle of having a dead car battery. Note: I take full responsibility for leaving the rental car fog lights on but the parking attendant noticed that they were on shortly after I got out of the car so this could have been caught early enough to save me a dead battery if they had been able to match up that a red Ford Focus had its lights on and I was one of their guests who checked in driving a red Ford Focus. Instead, they weren't able to locate me and the the front desk clerk said, "Oh, you are the guest who was driving the red Ford Focus? Yeah, we knew about this yesterday but didn't know how to locate you because we forgot to ask you what you were driving upon check-in." She was nice but also was just sort of smiling apologetically and saying sorry as I stood there struggling to figure out what the heck I was going to do to get to my appt at the James Monroe building in the next half hour. When I asked how long it would take me to walk, she just shrugged her shoulders and stared at me saying sorry again. I tried calling AAA (45 min to 1 hour wait) and asked her and one other lady behind the desk if they could please ask if anyone on staff had a jumper cable. They asked one guy on the radio and that was it. I went back out to the parking garage to see if MAYBE I could catch someone who was leaving the garage and see if they had cables to jump me and, just before I gave up hope, I ended up chatting with the parking garage attendant who said, "The front desk gals should have told you that they have a shuttle service that can surely take you to your meeting at the James Monroe Building." Finally, a ray of light! Thank you parking garage attendant! Why didn't the sweet, but unhelpful front desk clerk or her colleague mention that when I was working with them to figure out a solution to my transportation issue? So, I went to the bellhop and asked about the shuttle service and away I went (Anthony saved the day-- see shout out in the positives list above!). And, after my meeting he picked me up and, while I had been at my meeting, found out that a bellhop colleague of his, Sherman, had gotten jumper cables from a taxi driver and was able to jump my car with his in the garage! Hallelujah! Again, why didn't the front desk gals ask the bellhops if they had jumper cables? Seriously, I have managed condo/apartment communities and run educational facilities across the Southeast and would never have let my residents, students, or prospective clients ever just suffer on their own without doing everything in my power to find them a solution. That is how I felt that Anthony and Sherman were-- they were determined to help me and were GREAT representatives for the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown. The front desk clerks were nice but could have given a crap about helping me figure out a resolution in my time of need. Thank Goodness for Anthony and Sherman's customer service (and the taxi cab driver's jumper cables) or I would have been in a real mess that day. They really demonstrated how to go above and beyond for an out-of-town client in need.

Other than the thin walls, the fat pillows, and the customer service issue with the front desk staff, I otherwise had a fantastic stay and would absolutely stay at this hotel again if I brought my own pillow or called ahead to make sure they had a feather pillow I could use during my stay. The thin walls don't bother me since I am a heavy sleeper but I would caution light-sleepers that could definitely be an issue for them. Overall... very good hotel but it could be excellent with a few tweaks on the things they have within their control (pillow variety, improved front desk service).

2  Thank debbiesdreamtrips
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

debbiesdreamtrips,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed March 15, 2012

My experience during a short business trip to downtown Richmond was outstanding. The hotel had nicely updated rooms, was clean, provided a convenient shuttle service, all around a good value. But the real magic was the staff...they are the greatest!

They are the nicest, most attentive staff I have ever encountered. At check-in they recognized and acknowledged my buddy who had made the reservation. We were treated like royalty. I can't remember everyone but Crystal, Althea, Jeanie W., and the shuttle drivers all really stood out.

Great job! I'll stay at this hotel again next trip through.

Joe Sibilia