“Overall good experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“Overall good experience”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Pros:

Love my room. On the 9th floor, great views and it's a Priority members Suite. It is a small suite but nice.

Staff have all been wonderful, kind and helpful.

I really think the price of the room is quite fair for the location and accommodations.

Cons:

In this economy it bothers me that I have to pay $12.00 to park in the hotels parking garage.

The walls are very thin. You can hear everything.

The restaurant and bar were nice but the food choices were minimal and very over priced.

Overall I had a good experience

Room Tip: My room was on the ninth floor and I had a great view of the James River. This room was a Priority...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, October 12, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Greek first
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Overall a great experience, with the exception of one thing, a fire alarm went off at 5:00 am which I believe had an affect on the ODU basketball team during the CAA Tourney.

My first impression was not with Althea, but another person who I cannot remember her name. When Althea came to the counter and the atmosphere changed, I felt WELCOMED at the Crowne Plaza. Prior to Althea, I felt like a number, NEXT? I was travelling with 2 others and even though different people assisted us all, we all was welcomed by Althea who eventually took care of all of us and was the person who we sought after at the counter.

She provided great customer service to us all, I felt like family with her not just a guest in the hotel.

After my encounter with Althea, I have nothing but praise for the Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Back rooms had a view of a River.
Tampa
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I had an overall great experience at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown but there were a few things that kept it from being really excellent.

There were lots of positives--
* great location that was really easy to find and convenient to where I needed to be for meetings (James Monroe Government Offices)
* Very clean lobby, room, bed, sheets, bathroom... everything! Very clean. :-)
* I was on the 15th floor which is a club-level room with lounge privileges. At first I was a little freaked out because the lounge was closed that evening but I found out that, in its place, they were holding a full buffet Priority Club Members party on the 2nd floor so I would not miss out what, for me, is a free dinner. The spread included a wonderful veggie, fruit, cheese and crackers tray, meat lasagna, an pasta casserole with vegetables in alfredo sauce, and General Zso's chicken. They were also providing free alcohol and sodas and cannoli's for dessert. It was a nice gesture for its Priority Club Member guests and a pre-St. Patrick's day party.
* Free wi-fi is always a win in my book and there's worked quite well.
* Convenient parking garage attached to the building (discounted parking for hotel guests).
* Anthony, the shuttle driver, was my savior for getting me to my client meeting and back when my rental car wouldn't start and Sherman (one of the bellhops) was my savior for helping me to get my car to start when I returned from my client meeting. Without these two wonderful men, I managed to still get to my meeting on time and to the airport on time for my flight home. Seriously can't say enough about how above and beyond these two Crowne Plaza reps went to help me out. I can't say the same for the nice, but non-helpful front desk staff (see below).

The negatives--
* Suuuper thin walls; I could hear every word of the guest next door who was on his phone and you could tell he was speaking at a completely normal volume. I had no issues sleeping because he must have turned in around the same time so I really wasn't bothered by the thin walls, but I definitely wanted to point out that, if you have a neighbor who is on a different sleep schedule than you who might want to watch tv all night, you will likely hear every word.
* Pillows were too thick for my sleeping preference so, despite how comfy the bed was, I had a lot of trouble falling asleep. Would love it if they offered at least one feather pillow in the room because then I would have slept like a baby.
* The front desk staff were all very nice but could have done several things to really be of service to me as a guest at their hotel. 1) I had to call down to get the code for the free wi-fi... this should have been automatically included in the key packet as it usually is at other Crowne Plazas. Minor issue, but it was irritating to not have it readily available when I was trying to log on. 2) I was not asked any details about the car I parked in the garage at check-in. The clerk just noticed I had a ticket for the garage and put the charge into the computer for my bill. If she had just asked what color and make/model of car I was driving I could have avoided the next morning's debacle of having a dead car battery. Note: I take full responsibility for leaving the rental car fog lights on but the parking attendant noticed that they were on shortly after I got out of the car so this could have been caught early enough to save me a dead battery if they had been able to match up that a red Ford Focus had its lights on and I was one of their guests who checked in driving a red Ford Focus. Instead, they weren't able to locate me and the the front desk clerk said, "Oh, you are the guest who was driving the red Ford Focus? Yeah, we knew about this yesterday but didn't know how to locate you because we forgot to ask you what you were driving upon check-in." She was nice but also was just sort of smiling apologetically and saying sorry as I stood there struggling to figure out what the heck I was going to do to get to my appt at the James Monroe building in the next half hour. When I asked how long it would take me to walk, she just shrugged her shoulders and stared at me saying sorry again. I tried calling AAA (45 min to 1 hour wait) and asked her and one other lady behind the desk if they could please ask if anyone on staff had a jumper cable. They asked one guy on the radio and that was it. I went back out to the parking garage to see if MAYBE I could catch someone who was leaving the garage and see if they had cables to jump me and, just before I gave up hope, I ended up chatting with the parking garage attendant who said, "The front desk gals should have told you that they have a shuttle service that can surely take you to your meeting at the James Monroe Building." Finally, a ray of light! Thank you parking garage attendant! Why didn't the sweet, but unhelpful front desk clerk or her colleague mention that when I was working with them to figure out a solution to my transportation issue? So, I went to the bellhop and asked about the shuttle service and away I went (Anthony saved the day-- see shout out in the positives list above!). And, after my meeting he picked me up and, while I had been at my meeting, found out that a bellhop colleague of his, Sherman, had gotten jumper cables from a taxi driver and was able to jump my car with his in the garage! Hallelujah! Again, why didn't the front desk gals ask the bellhops if they had jumper cables? Seriously, I have managed condo/apartment communities and run educational facilities across the Southeast and would never have let my residents, students, or prospective clients ever just suffer on their own without doing everything in my power to find them a solution. That is how I felt that Anthony and Sherman were-- they were determined to help me and were GREAT representatives for the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown. The front desk clerks were nice but could have given a crap about helping me figure out a resolution in my time of need. Thank Goodness for Anthony and Sherman's customer service (and the taxi cab driver's jumper cables) or I would have been in a real mess that day. They really demonstrated how to go above and beyond for an out-of-town client in need.

Other than the thin walls, the fat pillows, and the customer service issue with the front desk staff, I otherwise had a fantastic stay and would absolutely stay at this hotel again if I brought my own pillow or called ahead to make sure they had a feather pillow I could use during my stay. The thin walls don't bother me since I am a heavy sleeper but I would caution light-sleepers that could definitely be an issue for them. Overall... very good hotel but it could be excellent with a few tweaks on the things they have within their control (pillow variety, improved front desk service).

2 Thank debbiesdreamtrips
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
debbiesdreamtrips,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My experience during a short business trip to downtown Richmond was outstanding. The hotel had nicely updated rooms, was clean, provided a convenient shuttle service, all around a good value. But the real magic was the staff...they are the greatest!

They are the nicest, most attentive staff I have ever encountered. At check-in they recognized and acknowledged my buddy who had made the reservation. We were treated like royalty. I can't remember everyone but Crystal, Althea, Jeanie W., and the shuttle drivers all really stood out.

Great job! I'll stay at this hotel again next trip through.

Joe Sibilia
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Rockville, MD

1 Thank Joseph S
Central VA
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed at the Richmond Crowne Plaza as a quick getaway weekend. Parking was simple. Check in was a breeze. Our room was an adjoining room and yes, you can hear everything your neighbor is doing. Believe me.
But the room was super comfortable. Fabulous view. Clean and cozy.
We tried out the bar before dinner and could not have asked for a better bartender!
Shuttle to Morton's Steakhouse was quick and very convenient. Along with the return trip.
Thank you Crowne Plaza for a great getaway!

• Stayed February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2012

be careful booking there since the one person making reservation said the rollaway price was 10 per night and the day of the hotel stay the rollaway charge increased to 25 per night.
In addition, the original person did not know if the king room included a sofa bed or just a sofa and that is why we booked a rollaway to begin with. We found out later that the king rooms do have sofa beds.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear john k,

Thank you for your review and thank you for bringing this issue with the rates of roll a ways to our attention. Our price for roll a ways is $10 USD per night. If this is not what you paid I would like to discuss this with you. I have sent you a private message with information on how to contact me.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Since 2000, I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown during January, February, and a portion of March. In the past three years, the hotel has upgraded its lobby, rooms, hallways, linens, bar, and seating areas. Exquisite flower arrangements have also been added to greet guests in both the lobby and second floor conference area. However, it is not these upgrades and special touches that make this hotel a comfortable home away from home. It is the friendly, caring, committed staff members who make the difference. Reception desk staff Kenya, Jeannie, Michelle, and Janet do a wonderful job of setting the stage for a positive stay by making guests feel welcome and cared about. Having the outstanding bell stand/shuttle staff of Ed, Pete, and Andrew available to guests not only provides a valuable service that enables guests to park their cars in the hotel's garage and use the shuttle service on a daily basis, it enhances the overall feeling of being in a safe, secure hotel.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the James River are quite nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 28, 2015
Thank you for your wonderful feedback.