“Home Away From Home”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Since 2000, I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown during January, February, and a portion of March. In the past three years, the hotel has upgraded its lobby, rooms, hallways, linens, bar, and seating areas. Exquisite flower arrangements have also been added to greet guests in both the lobby and second floor conference area. However, it is not these upgrades and special touches that make this hotel a comfortable home away from home. It is the friendly, caring, committed staff members who make the difference. Reception desk staff Kenya, Jeannie, Michelle, and Janet do a wonderful job of setting the stage for a positive stay by making guests feel welcome and cared about. Having the outstanding bell stand/shuttle staff of Ed, Pete, and Andrew available to guests not only provides a valuable service that enables guests to park their cars in the hotel's garage and use the shuttle service on a daily basis, it enhances the overall feeling of being in a safe, secure hotel.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the James River are quite nice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2015

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I visit Richmond almost every 2-3 months for its extensive array of history whether it is for Revolutionary, Civil War or the origin of this great country and usually stay in the West End of town so thought that I would try downtown for once. The location is accessible to I-195 & 95 and parking on the street seemed like a scary proposition but my car and I survived. I loved the pool, jacuzzi, friendliness of the staff, View of the James River and the flat screen TV although it was snowy at times so was not impressed. I am a Priority Club member and can be finicky at times and my biggest disaapointment was the Housekeeping. They neglected to clean my room after my wife and I left for the day at 1PM and we were out until 8PM and it was not completed. I made 2 phone calls to your front desk manager and the issue was not resolved until a housekeeper arrived with towels and sans shampoo, condiitoner etc. Very upset!

However, I spoke with Michelle regarding this issue a few days later and she was kind enough to comp me one night for my troubles. It was a great gesture by her and felt a little vindicated that she took up my complaint and resolved it in a positive manner. Great Customer Service and she should be applauded for her actions!

Because of her excellent customer service, I am returning in mid-March and hopefully, the housekeeping will not be an issue or the night manager will not ask my wife about her dress or boots that she was wearing one night in the computer room. Very bizarre!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the James River offer a spectacular view and it's quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Don't eat dinner there. Location of the hotel is not convenient to local restaurants, but it's worth your time to go somewhere else. Restaurant can only be surviving because guests trapped in the area at night eat there once.

Room was adequate, but not special for the price. Exercise facilities were not very nice for hotel that aspires to be in that price range/market niche.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Dear Jordan C, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give valuable feedback. I have past the comments on to our F&B director so that we are able to better our product. I apoligize that we did not meet the expectations that you expect and we need to deliver. I also apoligize that while staying here we did not offer our shuttle service within a two mile radius that takes in over 50 local restaurants. Again thank you for your valuable feedback.

C. Scott Jones

Reviewed February 18, 2012

I have stayed at the Richmond Crowne Plaza Downtown for many years while the Virginia General Assembly is in session. The stays lasts 4-5 days a week during January and February. The hotel has always been top knotch but the last two years the service and staff have gotten even better. At the desk Kenya, Jeanne, and Michell are always helpful and friendly The shuttle service to and from the Capitol is a must for me. Pete, Ed, and Andrew are always there when I need them and they are much appreciated. The restaurant staff is extremely accomodating. The addition of the Prority Club Social on Wednesday nights has been fun.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Gordon F, Thank you for the wonderful feedback. I truely appreciate you noting our most valuable asset here at the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown, our employees. The hotel has employees that truely care on a daily basis...Again thank you for taking the time to give feedback.

C. Scott Jones

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Generally speaking, I trust Crowne Plaza chain, as I've stayed in several of them over the years - really enjoyed one in D.C. and in Phoenix - nice middle-class crowd, robes, little nice satin bag in your bed with the room spay, ear plugs, eye mask.... Not here! Not even complimentary coffee, that became a must even in cheap motels - none!!!! Stuff do not wear their name tugs, the only women whose name I know is very friendly Althea - during the check out she introduced herself, and her name tug was visible. Room was O.K., I'm glad I choose the one on the club floor (16th), and got a nice river view, but the pool was dirty floor wet, and the stuff member casually walked in, through a couple of towels on the floor, picked them up, and called it a day. Looker room was filthy, someone even smoked in it, and when I came back next morning, the same dirty paper towels and empty shampoo bottles, and even the same empty cigarretes carton on the same places. Come on, guests don't have to point it out - you are the ones who have to be on the top of the situation! Overall, I wish I choose the Embassy Suites that is not in downtown, but feels better - we stopped on the way back just to check it out for the next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the club level room and bring the ear plugs!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
ScottJones, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Blendedbunch, I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I consider this input valuable to our management team. I apoligize for your experience at our hotel. I believe what you have stated to be very true that you need to be able to Trust a brand such as the Crowne Plaza. I can assure you that this type of service does not meet expectation. I will take this infomation to our department heads to be applied in our daily training. Again thank you!

Reviewed February 4, 2012

A great place to stay when staying in the Richmond, Virginia area. We found the staff to be friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Although the room was a bit on the small side it was clean and had all the conveniences one is looking for including refigerator, microwave, large flat-screen tv and a very comfortable bed. The view from our room on an upper floor looked over the city.The indoor swimming pool and spa are just steps away from the elevator on the first floor. We found this Crowne Plaza to be the perfect place to rest, eat and drink after a long days drive.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear dodger16, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Your wonderful comments are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

My husband and I loved our stay at this wonderful hotel in downtown Richmond. We were lucky to have had such a beautiful weekend, and could take walks around the town. The staff were so gracious, and were so helpful with directions when we needed them. My husband is from this area, so being able to come back and stay at a lovely hotel is always nice.

Room Tip: We did nothing special, and were treated special.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Byron H, thank you your business and taking the time to pass on valuable comments about our staff. For the staff to take ownership and apply problem resolution to any issues is truely what we want to happen on a daily basis. Andrew and Whitney both are a great example of staff that truely care! Again thank you for these comments.