“Great hotel with the full package”

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Stayed two nights to attend an event at the hotel. Parking is extremely easy, as we chose to self park only 30 yards away from the front door. I had to wait approximately 10 min to begin checking in, which was longer than I wanted. The hotel prides itself on its service, and never faltered. Everyone was extremely polite, and appeared eager to please. The indoor swimming pool was nice, including the sunning area just steps away outside. The fitness facility surpasses many resorts I have stayed in. I would recommend the hotel build a sauna and a hot tub, to match the amenities of the other 5 star hotels I have stayed at. The room itself was nice, with a comfortable bed. The bath products, linen and bathrobes were a pleasing comfort from a long day. The view of the outside was not pleasing, therefore we left the drapes closed.

The best features of the hotels is the staff and the ambiance to host a conference, reception, or social events. Multiple events can take place at once, yet the staff and large facility makes you think that you are the only event there. Without a question, this hotel surpasses my expectations regarding events. If your event happens to be a special occasion (wedding, anniversary, etc), or a business meeting, I assure you that this hotel has everything that you are looking for. Unfortunately, I am not aware of pricing, however I can comment that attending an event here leaves a positive lasting impression.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank juscin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,354)

Reviewed June 28, 2010

This place is super nice. From the moment you arrive, you are treated like royalty and the place is so beautiful. The staircase is one of the coolest hotel lobby's I have seen! We spent our wedding night here and they treated us incredible. We had champagne and choclates waiting for us in our incredibly comfortable room. We had breakfast in bed the next morning and it was out of this world. I high recommend this hotel for a special occasion or any stay!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mickman8
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Over the past few years, especially, my family and I have had the pristine opportunity of visiting some of the finest hotels and resorts on the east coast. Among them are the Ritz-Carlton in Philadelphia, the Four-Seasons in Washington D.C., the Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort, and several others. The Jefferson was, quite simply, a whole 'nother world.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the valet service, where our luggage was promply unloaded. After taking us inside, they left us standing there with our luggage for 15 minutes. Anxious to get to the room so we could begin our sightseeing, we offered to take the luggage ourselves. However, they told us that "they were a full service hotel and we could go to our room and settle in and our luggage would be up shortly!" Great! We checked in and were given an upgrade for our birthdays from a Deluxe Room to a Studio Suite. We stayed in room #466.

Upon entering, the room was quite huge, offering a comfortable love seat, four chairs, four tables (two end tables, a dining table, and a coffee table) and a writing desk. The room had two double beds (which I think were queen, as the seemed quite large for a double bed) which offered Liddell Linens with Frette blankets. The blankets must be hand-me-downs, though, as they were "Exclusively designed for the Hay-Adams," which is in D.C. (Another great hotel, although not as much so as the Jefferson).

The bathroom had Liddell Towels with the Jefferson Logo (make sure to pick up a few for $24 in the gift shop!) on them. It also offered Molten Brown amenities.

Only three minor complains from the room; the sides of the bed were not swept, nor have they been in a LONG time. They were covered with cob-webs. Also, the LCD TV was nice, but it wouldn't turn on. Lastly, the shower head offered a strong, almost painful shower experience. It could be upgraded in the future.

Just a note for those coming to the hotel: the free transportation is AMAZING! No driving through traffic, and trying to find parking where none can be found (if you stay elsewhere, expect to walk at least 5-10 blocks to where you want to go, parking is terrible) and they are quite efficient. We simply would call the hotel and they would send the car. Even when we were at St. John's on the other end of town, the car still arrived in less than 10 minutes! All the drivers knew Richmond and provided a great history tour on the way to and fro the hotel and the tourist attractions. The transportation service consists of 3 Lincoln Town Cars and 1 Luxury Motor coach vehicle. The town cars usually make runs until about 4:00 PM, when the Motor coach takes over.

The staff, by far, was the best part of the experience. They were so friendly and, without them, the hotel would not have earned the awards it has been the recipient of. Everyone was attentive, courteous, and efficient - exactly what you want at a luxury hotel of this caliber. Angela Kyle, concierge, overlooked our itinerary prior to our stay and assisted us with transportation throughout. She was tremendous! On the last full day of our stay, after sight-seeing all day, she had a Jefferson Christmas Tree Ornament sent up to the room with a heartfelt letter, which went to show how much she cared for us. Ron, the driver, was so much fun and informative. After our dinner at Morton's on the last night of our stay, he gave us the "Scenic Route" back to the hotel, taking us across the river so we could see the skyline. And lastly, Maymay in reservations was able to ensure us the upgrade for our special occasion.

We booked one night on the Glorious Glass Package and one on the History Repeating Itself. It included valet parking for both nights and breakfast for 2 each day (3rd person additional, but most expensive menu item is $14). Also, the History package included a $25 gift card and the Glass package included passes to the botanical gardens. If we could have a redo, we would get both nights on the history package because you receive a $50 gift card for each consecutive night, and botanical garden passes were only $10!

Hope this was informational, and by all means, the Jefferson Hotel is the place to stay in Richmond! So look no further, stay at the Jefferson!!

Many thanks for reading and may God bless!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank arlingtonman13
Reviewed June 7, 2010

This is my first review even though I travel quite a lot on business and pleasure. This trip was a vacation stay although business folks do stay here. Went with wife and 9 year old son who is very excitable. Mid-week stay. I felt compelled to write this review even though the hotel is rated in 2010 as five stars by Mobil and AAA both! I have stayed at Four Seasons, Mandarin in NYC, etc. so I know what a luxury hotel could or should be, this hotel, for even 50% more money is a gem. Staff are more than helpful. Rooms are nicely appointed, very quiet. The location is within easy walking distance of many tourist attractions but you can take the free Lincoln Town car limo to and from anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank BTravler
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My husband and I just returned from staying at the Jefferson Hotel for our third time.
It is the most elegant and wonderful old hotel. I can't say enough about their staff and how wonderful the two restaurants are in the hotel. We stayed for a weekend with our two corgis. They allow dogs for $50 per night more which is reasonable, especially for a grand hotel like this. I highly recommend the Jefferson - be sure to look for their package deals - a great value. Plus, there is so much to see and do in Richmond, especially if you are a history buff. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is also a real treasure.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tshowalter1
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Stey here if you want to stay in Richmond in style. A superb hotel with great service. Comfortable beds, great food, gracious staff. You can feel the history as you enter the rotunda with its marble statue of Jefferson and stained glass, descend the 36 step staircase, and see historic paintings of Jefferson and read about famous hotel guests and historic events at the hotel. Rooms are plush and spacious. Great fitness center too and the restaurant is outstanding. I would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Europeatheart
Reviewed May 14, 2010

We spent two nights at The Jefferson while attending our grandson's graduation from a Richmond university. We were awed by the beautiful architecture in the hotel and the service was superb. The room was a little small but I guess they didn't need such large rooms back when this hotel was built. The amenities in the room and the bed linens were all top of the line. We ate in their two restaurants and enjoyed room service breakfast. In all cases, the food was excellent and the service was superb. As I was getting on the aircraft to fly home I discovered I had left my book, encased in a fabric cover, in my room at The Jefferson. I called the next day and they quickly returned the book to me with no charge. I would definitely go back to The Jefferson on a return trip to Richmond.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple