“This is a WOMDERFIL hotel”

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed August 12, 2006

What a fantastic hotel this is. We stayed here at a very short notice, and arrived to find that our room would not be ready until 4pm, this was 3pm, and we are upgraded to a superior room. Absolutely astonishing. What a fantastic room. But don't think these means we only like the hotel because of the upgrade; that would be far from the truth. The hotel is extremely elegant, has fantastic staff whose attention to detail is impeccable. The very helpful guy at the front door had found out my name by the time I had parked the car, then you realise they do treat service very importantly.

They have an excellent town car service giving free trips to guests up to three miles from the hotel which we used on four occasions. The helpful concierge pointed us in the direction of the best things to do for sightseeing in the limited time we had, and we were able to take advantage of this service. Overall we felt like a royalty at this hotel, and in fact it reminded us of the Savoy Hotel in London. Need I say more? A fantastic play to stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Alan H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed July 14, 2006

My family and I enjoyed afternoon tea at the Jefferson Hotel on 7/15. From the phone call for the reservation through the entire tea itself, the service was outstanding. Upon arrival, we were greeted and shown to our table. WIthout even giving the name under which the reservation was made, our hostess immediately acknowledged we had made a special request (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for one child in our party). Our server, Kim, was gracious, friendly, attentive and certainly merited 5 stars by herself. The tea was top notch, even better than tea at the Peninsula in Chicago. As we were there on the third Sat of the month, we enjoyed the chocolate lovers tea.
The tea itself included tea (there was a menu of about 7-8 choices of tea), three wonderful sandwiches (ours were tomato & watercress, cucumber, and chicken salad), cake (a lemon and a chocolate cake) and two types of scones with clotted cream and jam. The chocolate aspect involved a self-serve table nearby with about 8 different bite sized chocolate morsels from chocolate mousse, chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate dipped chocolate biscotti, ganache, something like a chocolate macaroon, and more.
Tea is served in the upper lobby of the hotel, near the registration. Some visitors were not aware of the "reserved" signs on the tables which were clearly laid for tea, but they were politely informed by the hostess. The lobby and mezzanine level where a baby shower tea seemed to be taking place were roomy but I definitely recommend reservations as I counted about 6-10 tables in the lobby that would accommodate tea. It was a beautiful place for a leisurely tea.
From the website, tea is served Th-Sun from 3-4:30p. The first Sunday of every month there is a children's tea (but as you read, they were very accommodating to my children outside of that children's tea as well by the special sandwich and a pot of chocolate milk). The third Saturday of every month they have a chocolate lovers tea, which is what we enjoyed and which I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank FS_Junkie_with_kids
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2006

I stayed at the Jefferson on business and it is an above average hotel, no doubt the best in Virginia but not worthy of 5 stars. The room was small, the carpet was worn, and the grout was rotting around the tiles in the bathroom. The staff went out of their way to address you by name at their restaurants and the food was very good. Housekeeping was poor. On the second day of my stay I returned to my room at about 2:15 pm and housekeeping still had not gotten to the room. All in all I would return to the Jefferson but this is not a 5 star hotel in most parts of the country

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2006

I've spent a tremendous amount of time in Richmond. And there is no better hotel in the city but the Jefferson. The place exudes class, from the public areas, to the staff, to the rooms themselves. Although some of their prices are indeed outrageous for those with a limited budget (and especially for a city like Richmond), a little patience on the internet will reveal prices under $200/night, which are well-within reason for this excellent hotel!!

Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank dcbarg1974
A TripAdvisor Member
Freeport, NY
Reviewed March 18, 2006

Review Title : An outstannding experience at a hotel "they don't make like that anymore."
Review Body : What a pleasant surprise at a hotel with ATMOSPHERE and an ambience you just don't find anymore but yet it's all there at the Jefferson Hotel in Richmond, Va.

Service was superb, the staff ever so professional and pleasant. The food was excellent all around but the Sunday brunch is not to be missed.

Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Room smelled bad of cigarettes after requesting non-smoking. I quit smoking in Sept after 20 years so it REALLY ----. Got the "romance package" for 275/nite. Forgot the champagne we already paid for. Had to call. If we have to call THEM, its not 5-star. And they forgot our in-room breakfast. Had to call and remind them...again. If we didnt call...we didnt get it even though we already paid. Asked how long delay will be..."I dont know" was the answer..NOT 5-star. We waited 2 years to get away for ONE weekend!!! I got better service at the holiday in for 49.00 night compared to 275/nite. TIP: Dont stay there, just visit. Take pictures and leave.

• Stayed: January 2006
13  Thank CEOinVA
Reviewed December 28, 2005

My husband and I stayed one night after a cruise from Norfolk. We were delighted when walking in, the decorations were breathtaking. Service is excellent.
The only disappointment was the restraunt TJ's, service was horrible. The server acted as if we were honored to have her wait on us.
The Host in LeMeir (sp?) was great. He was very proud of the restraunt and took us on a tour with out us asking.
The rooms were pure luxury. One exception, the mattress pad was too small for the bed so, it felt like the bed was "short-sheeted".
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2005