“One of the finest historic hotels in America”

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Staying at The Jefferson was as memorable an experience of touring Richmond and the environs as any historic or cultural outing we made. The grand old hotel is view back in time, architecturally impressive, but maintaining up to date facilities and a very good restaurant. Excellent staff, indoor pool with roof garden and nice workout facility.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank HarryandHermione
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

A friend and I went to the Jefferson about a week before Christmas to hear a band called 'The Offering' play Christmas music. The band was super and the decorations were absolutely beautiful. I've lived in Richmond 8 years wanting to go there every Christmas just to see the elegant decorations and I finally made it and hope to go again next year. Next time I'm having lunch there too.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight. Live locally.
Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

We are delighted that you were able to visit during the holidays and do hope that you'll visit again this year. Our schedule for the Music at Midday concerts, in which The Offerings appear each year, will be issued in early fall and we recommend lunch reservations for TJ's well in advance as they are popular and fill quickly. We hope this information helps with your planning and that you will also consider attending our annual Tree Lighting on Monday, December 1st!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

The Jefferson Hotel offers the experience of staying at a historic fancy hotel at a much smaller cost than Grove Park Inn and the drive to Richmond is an hour shorter than to Asheville for us, so for Valentine's weekend my husband took advantage of this and booked a night at the Jefferson for us with the breakfast package. We love breakfast so factoring the cost of a nice hotel breakfast and valet parking - we felt that this special the hotel was offering was a very good deal.
Our room was small but not too small that we couldn't walk around the bed. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine. I've stayed at historic hotels in other cities that had similar amenities - it's comfortable and nice but not luxury - at least the room we had.
We didn't realize prior to arrival that we would need to make a reservation in advance to dine at Lemaire at the hotel in one of the dining rooms. It was booked upon our arrival so we ended up eating an expensive meal at Lemaire's bar. My husband wasn't crazy about eating a $30 dinner entrée from a bar lounge chair but he went with it and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and breakfast at Lemaire.
The service from the moment we arrived through checkout was stellar at The Jefferson. Remember to bring lots of single bills so you can tip everyone because the valet, bellboy, shuttle driver, etc. all deserve it.
The shuttle driver dropped us off at the top of Monument Avenue and we walked back to the hotel looking at the beautiful homes along Monument Ave and the statues of some of the South and Virginia's leaders.
The only thing that bothered me was that the turn down service came into our room after 9:30pm. We were already in bed. I heard the knock on the door but my husband insisted it wasn't our door and the next thing we know is another person is in the room. I think turndown service should happen earlier in the evening - before 9pm.
The hotel is in walking distance of a few restaurants and the hotel will drive you to ones that maybe outside of walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing The Jefferson and Lemaire for your Valentine's celebration. We are delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience but do apologize for the two instances where we clearly missed the mark on our service standards. Our reservations team has been addressed as it is expected that you would be advised at the time of booking your room of the need for dining reservations. Turndown service is generally not provided at such a late hour and this has been addressed with our Housekeeping Manager.
We appreciate your feedback on your stay and hope that you will again consider The Jefferson for a getaway weekend.

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

The Jefferson is by far the best hotel in Richmond! I stayed there during the summer, the staff is amazing and the rooms are very clean. The hotel has great restaurants, and an exceptional business center. Very very good hotel! A+++++++++++++++++

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jeff g

Thank you for your review and we hope you will return again this summer.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I spent one night here over the Christmas. Our only regret was that we didn't stay here longer. What a grand hotel! The hotel is a beautiful, historic property and was elegantly decorated for the holiday.

My wife and I stayed in a Deluxe room. it was a little bit more money than the standard room, but well worth it. the room was a very nice size, especially for an older hotel.

The service at the hotel was excellent. We ate a couple of times in the hotel restaurant, which was also excellent.

My wide and I have stayed at many five-star hotels, but this place has to be one of our favorites.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a lovely time. The hotel staff was all wonderful and provided excellent service. Room service was great - they were prompt and brought our table into our room, completely set with water glasses, napkins folded and food hot. Our room was spacious and comfortable, the robes were lovely as well. The only small issue was our shower - I realize it is an old hotel (which is precisely why we chose it!) and thus the shower location is what it is, but it's not a very good one at that because it is right next to a large window (opaque of course) and thus the window sill was subjected to moisture and wetness anytime we took a shower. Hence there was mold spots on the sill and looked as though they had been painted over a time or two. It certainly wasn't the end of the world but was unsightly nonetheless. The health club was awesome! My husband and I worked out in it one evening and it is by far the best health club we have seen at any hotel. All in all it was a great stay.

Room Tip: we had a room on the first floor but it would have been nice to have a view - I would suggest gettin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for high praises of our staff, your room and the health facility. We do apologize for the unsightly windowsill in your bath and thank you for making us aware so that we can continue to look for solutions in that particular bath configuration.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I recently stayed at the Jefferson Hotel for two nights while on a business trip to Richmond. This is a very elegant and grand old hotel. I thought the room was rather small but understandable for a historic property. The room was clean but did show some wear and tear. The marble bathroom was nice and very clean but again, by today’s standards small. Again, this is all understandable for an old hotel like the Jefferson. I thought the staff overall were good except the cleaning staff were a little too casual - loud and could be heard laughing and chattering at times. I only ate one breakfast on the property and can’t recommend anyone doing so. The food and service were just ok but the restaurant was worn and did not appear to be very clean. I had room service the next day and it was satisfactory. Overall the good things outweigh the few negatives and if you like grand old hotels then you will like this one. In my opinion the Jefferson is a strong 4-Star and I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I do not have enough experience to make any suggestions on the rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you for your review and for providing feedback on the areas where we can make improvements. We are currently enhancing our guest rooms and hope that you will return to enjoy the new, larger rooms.