“Best Anywhere”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Bossier City, Louisiana
“Best Anywhere”
Reviewed August 12, 2008

This is one of the great hotels in the country. Outstanding service, friendly staff, the cleanest hotel you will ever stay at. The five star rating is well deserved. You can spend hours just wandering around the hotel looking at the pictures and the architecture. Restaurants are great and the Sunday brunch is unbelievable. I have stayed here on three different occasions and have never had a dissapointment with anything.

• Liked — Staff, rooms, food
  • Disliked — There is nothing not to like
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJSBCITY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
Richmond, VA
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We had enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at the Jefferson so much last year that we decided to do it again this year, although on a more modest scale.

This year we stayed for two nights in a deluxe king room.

To compare it to one of the Governors Suites we had stayed in last year wouldn't be fair, as the two are nowhere near the same in price.

The room was nice enough and comfortable, but I agree with others that room decor is beginning to look drab. In our room the carpeting especially was none too clean-looking and had seen better days.

Also, I think that for the price that is charged for them, each room should come with a min-fridge (they do have mini-bar fridges which we didn't touch), dvd player and coffee/tea maker. As it is now, the fridge and dvd player can be had for an additional fee. Coffee is delivered by room service at $17 for two.

As always it is the staff that makes a stay at the Jefferson the stand-out experience it is. When I asked for an additional arm-chair for our room, some one was at the door immediately carrying a matching chair into the room. He placed it right where I wanted it, and adjusted it to my satisfaction.

When we realized we had forgotten a medication, the Concierge opened the in-hotel shop for us after it had closed for the day so that we could buy what we needed.

Many small courtesies and assistances occurred throughout our two night stay, the staff truly cannot do enough for the guests.

The hotel was hustling and bustling with three wedding parties, lots of dress-up people, formal dresses and suits, little children in wedding finery. Very nice to see the Grand Old Lady filled with life.

We had breakfast in the main restaurant LeMaire, friends joining us. I had Eggs Benedict, a friend had the Eggs Jefferson, a fancier version with crab meat, etc. Both were good covered with lashings of lemony hollandaise sauce.

For dinner we had burgers in LeMaire, as the bar, TJs, was closed for renovation. Best bacon cheeseburger I've ever had. The shrimp cocktail starter was not so good, obviously frozen shrimp with strange consistency and strangely served over chopped lettuce.

The Pool was nice, water not too cold, with a small adjacent deck for catching some sun. A covered area of the deck would be nice to have, as it is now there's no place to sit out of the sun.

Whether going to the Jefferson from out-of-town or simply as a "staycation" for Richmonders, the hotel is an experience in itself.

It's time to start thinking about room up-dating though.

• Liked — Top drawer staff.
  • Disliked — Room needed up-dating.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StickyToffee
Northeastern US
Reviewed July 4, 2008

My room was large, but decorated with very standard inexpensive hotel furniture. I was disappointed that the rooms didn't have more style, given the imposing lobby and public spaces. My room was perfectly clean, and had two windows, but I found it depressing to be in the space with its 1980's issue dark green carpeting and bedspreads and the faux mahogany TV armoire. The bathroom was nicely appointed and clad in marble, but the lighting was too dim and too fluorescent for putting on makeup.

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, and the food at La Mer was nice enough, as was the room service breakfast.

• Liked — Within walking distance of downtown Richmond
  • Disliked — Shabby, dated looking rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Eglomise
Richmond, Va
Reviewed June 19, 2008

As a Richmond native, I have stayed in The Jefferson Hotel many times for special occasions, including my wedding night. I agree with other reviewers that as the hotel ages, some of the details in the guest rooms appear to be overlooked. There are scuff marks on the walls and some carpets have stains. However, the architecture and ambience of the expansive lobby and common areas of this hotel continue to amaze me. This is truly a Grand Hotel. It is said that the staircase which leads from the lower level to the main lobby was designed to look like the famous staircase from "Gone With The Wind". Many a bride has had her picture taken here. The best time to come to The Jefferson is at Christmas time when the hotel puts a giant tree in the center of the lobby, and various local performing arts groups sing and entertain the guests. Overall, the elegance of this hotel rivels any I have ever seen. The Jefferson Hotel is, and hopefully will always be, a Richmond tradition.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Midlo2
Charlotte
Reviewed June 7, 2008

I stayed here with my two teenage boys while we were in town for a lacrosse tournament. We booked a deluxe double. It was a fairly nice size room with a sectioned off changing area. The bathroom was just okay but nothing to write home about.

There were many good things about the hotel but there were also some bad issues.

The good:

The hotel is beautiful. When you walk in and look up at the ceiling, your breath will be taken away. The architecture in the lobby and restaurants is absolutely amazing!!

The service is impeccable from the front desk staff to the concierge and housekeeping. We visited the pool and there were no towels. I picked up the house phone and had towels in 3 minutes flat.

They offer a car/van service and will take you anywhere downtown for free (well...you still tip). It was nice not having to get the car out to go to dinner down the road.

The pool was wonderful and for an indoor pool, there was no strong chlorine aroma and the water was not too hot.

The not so great.....

The beds in our room were not very comfortable. They were VERY soft and much too mushy. I awoke with a back ache both days.

On our 2nd night, the a/c broke. It was already midnight when we realized that the room was too hot and not cooling so we decided not to switch rooms. Big mistake. By 3 am, we were baking. I mentioned the problem at check out and they took $75 off my bill. I felt like I should have been comped that night since we were miserable and hot and sweaty all night. At a rate of $225, I should have had more than $75 taken off.

The regular Sunday morning buffet (not the big brunch buffet) was not very good. I think that they put all there effort into the big brunch and not so much into the regular buffet for paying hotel guests who want a quick breakfast. At 18.95 a piece, I was very disappointed.

Even considering this, I would stay at the Jefferson again. The service and beauty of the hotel are first rate.

• Liked — The architecture
  • Disliked — The uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank debcharlotte
arb59181
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Stayed in the hotel for business for 2 nights mid-may. I was impressed with the old time charm of the hotel and the exquisite details that made all the difference. The hotel is old, for sure, but it is extremely well maintained and has charm that you rarely find in hotels these days. The staff is friendly and accomodating (I had to change my room and they took care of everything for me) and the check-in/check-out process is easy and efficient. The rooms are elgantly appointed and immaculate. We got a great rate through our travel department but even if we hadn't, it would have been well worth the price of admission to stay in this beautiful hotel. A++ to the Jefferson Hotel!

• Liked — beautifully appointed rooms, beautiful lobby and friendly staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
North Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2008

A stay at the Jefferson Hotel is a special treat. The lobby with its stained glass skylight over the statue of Jefferson is a great welcome. Our deluxe room had a roomy sitting area. Food is wonderful; we didn't eat at Lemaire this time, but TJs is quite good and the Sunday champagne brunch is mind-bogglingly excellent. Concierge can not only recommend restuarants, but the hotel can chauffeur you to downtown eating locations. (This time we ate at Bookbinder's and Pomegranate--recommended.)Fitness center takes up two full rooms and has up-to-date equipment. All of the staff is pleasant and helpful, and they often call you by name. Our only complaints this time were slow maid service and inept maintenance for our running toilet--five service calls did not solve the whooshing noises. Rates are high, though some packages are available. Go there if you can. There's lots to do in Richmond, especially if you like American history.

• Liked — Staff politeness, Sunday brunch
  • Disliked — Unsuccessful maintenance
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple