“Beautiful hotel, a little drafty” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Jefferson Hotel

The Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful hotel, a little drafty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Jefferson Hotel in late January and having never been there before, was blown away by the building's architecture and beauty. It really is a site to behold. The Jefferson epitomizes the word "elegance." Yet it wasn't so elegant that regular people would feel like they didn't belong. The lobby alone just blows you away.

I was there for work purposes so I only stayed one night. While it was lovely and certainly an experience, I found my room -- which was HUGE -- to be drafty. The heat would come on and then I'd sweat like a demon but when it went off I felt like I could see my breath. Old buildings can be that way but for those of you who are temperature-sensitive, that's something you might want to think about.

Like I said, my room was huge but my view of like the air conditioning condensing units. Hey, I recognize that stuff has to go somewhere and you can't exactly dress it up to be something it's not but yeah, no great expansive view of downtown Richmond for me. But like I said, I was only staying one night and it was for work so it was no biggie.

Also, and this is really weird, when I went to check-out, the woman at the registration desk said she couldn't give me a receipt. I was using a corporate credit card and had paid for the room in advance. All I needed was a receipt that reflected the cost of the room, any additional charges and the zero balance but the woman said because a third party was paying for the room (I'm not certain who that was), that she could give me a "receipt" that showed a zero balance but not with any breakdown of charges. When I called several days later to see if I could get a receipt, that time I was told that because I didn't use a credit card with my name on it, that she couldn't give it to me even though I stayed in the room (reservation was under my name). I asked under what circumstance could I get the receipt and she said if I could give her the last four digits of the credit card used. I gave her the digits and she emailed me the receipt as a PDF. Weird, right?

Either way, I would stay there again, it was a lovely place and have no real complaints.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do apologize that you found the temperature of your room difficult to regulate and for the inconvenience in getting a copy of the reciept you needed. This is very helpful feedback and we will look for opportunities to improve in both areas. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
Mountainside, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you ever find that you are in Richmond you can not pass up the opportunity to stay at the grandest of hotels The Jefferson
Marble columns, double wide grand staircases, beautiful lobby, stores and more.
Whether you are on business, pleasure or looking at colleges in the area this is the most beautful hotel by far.
This stately hotel fits the bill and more. Spacious rooms, fine dining, and personable staff makes this an easy decision when looking for a hotel.

Room Tip: Any room will do
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope one of the reasons you cited to visit Richmond will soon bring you back to The Jefferson.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a business meeting. It is a beautiful hotel. Lovely lobby, lovely rooms, lovely dining. There was a small wedding with an older couple, the bride looked old school hollywood glam which was prefect and beautiful for the setting. We ate at TJ which was good food, however our waitress was on the slow side. Beware room walls are thin. My coworker and I were talking casually in the room and we did get a knock from the adjoining room door - we are guessing it was for us to be quiet. Besides our waitress, Overall service was impeccable with top knotch staff.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
greer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We drive to our summer home in Canada and reward ourselves by staying at the Jefferson. It runs $250+ a night, so it is not for the faint-hearted. Believe it or not, it is DOG FRIENDLY. We are welcomed with a doggy basket with a home baked biscuit. The restaurant is great, the accommodations and service are impeccable. I prefer it to the Hotel Hassler in Rome!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 565NYMan565
Thank you for making The Jefferson a stop along your way each year. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

There is something about historic places and old world elegance that attracts and fascinates me. This hotel did it for me. It is expensive but the service is very good. It is after all a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star rated hotel. They have some good deals that offer free breakfast and valet parking so that makes it less painful for the wallets. Internet is free and the hotel has free car service that will take you to places in downtown Richmond. Reservation for this service is highly recommended. The restaurants inside the hotel are good but are more on the expensive side as well. The only negative thing I can say about it is that not all areas near the hotel looked safe to me. So if you want a hotel that exudes romance, elegance and fabulous service go for The Jefferson Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Jefferson during our visit to Richmond. The whole experience was wonderful. Beautiful common areas, the linens are divine and turn down service is a nice added touch. We ate breakfast at Lemaire. The food was delicious, an innovative menu was available and the service was excellent. The pool was very well maintained and the towels are luxurious!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your reivew.
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The word "flawless" is often overused but not here. A perfectly enjoyable stay including gracious staff,fine food,but especially a comfortable ambiance in a beautiful setting.Couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends