“I'd give it a B”
Review of Sleep Inn

Ranked #58 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I selected this hotel because of its location. It was exactly where I wanted to stop for the night. I had read some of the recent reviews and was expecting something much worse than I found.

The important thing I was looking for was a clean comfortable bed and a working air conditioner. That's what I got.

The room was attractive, had a working TV with enough channel choices.

My room was by the elevator and expected a lot of noise from traffic passing my door, but I only heard one group of people get off the elevator before I went to bed and did not hear people leaving in the morning.

There was a strange odor in my room. It was not offensive or overly strong, just strange. It reminded me of a scent that I associated with my grandmother's bathroom. I think it was a commercial cleaning product.

I saw a hair on the bathroom floor, but the tile floor did not otherwise appear dirty. I threw the bathmat on the floor; that covered enough of the floor that I didn't worry about it.

The sink was a little slow draining, which I reported when I checked out, but it was not any real problem.

The refrigerator had been unplugged for defrosting. That would have been an issue had I arrived wanting to use it. There was a trash can inside the refrigerator to collect the melting ice. Before I went to bed I heard a chunk of ice fall inside the frig. I opened the door to discover the trash can with the large piece of ice. I dumped it in the sink and ran some hot water. It all went away and I turned the unit back on.

I was glad that there was a late night Burger King next door. A Whooper Jr. (without the mayo) was just enough for an evening snack.

The breakfast was adequate. I've had complimentary continental breakfasts that had a lot more choices and a lot fancier. But you got an OK breakfast.

The grounds and the public areas of the hotel appeared very clean.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed July 24, 2008

I spent 3 nights here, check-in was smooth, no problems. 3 story property, all interior corridors with elevator. Typical Sleep Inn layout. My room was clean and fairly comfortable. Pillows were much flatter than I prefer though and were uncomfortable for me. Desk, no rolling chair and the chair provided for the desk was a little low, didn't make it really comfortable when using my laptop. Wi-Fi worked great and there was an outlet on top of the desk so no crawling around to plug in the computer. Microwave and fridge in the room, didn't use either, but I did check the fridge and it was cold. AC worked well.
Bathroom area was clean, plenty of hot water with good pressure; my room only had a shower which is typical of most Sleep Inns. Didn't watch much TV so can't comment on the lineup, but what I did watch was clear. Breakfast is OK, limited selection of pastries, bagels, cereal, etc. No waffle iron but they did have a warmer with French toast and some rather rubbery scrambled eggs. Security cameras all over the place including the parking lot. Burger King right next door, as well as 2 convenience stores, McDonalds across the street, but the immediate area is lacking in restaurants. Overall, an OK stay nothing exceptionally bad or great either way, which I've found to be typical of most Sleep Inns. Better pillows and more comfortable chairs for the desks would be a great improvement for this hotel though.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Stayed at this hotel with the family (two children) after getting off the I-95 during a rainstorm. It was the first hotel you see off the highway. But you are probably better off driving a few feet further to the next hotel's My wife went to the desk to check rates and get a room while I stayed in the car with the kids. She was given a room on the 2nd floor which was quickly change to the 3rd floor. As we stepped into room 317 we were hit with a strong cigarette smell even though it was suppose to be a non smoking room. Both box spring mattresses on the double beds had no sheets just the top ones. But we were tired and it was late so we put the kids to sleep. The next morning we realized that our hotel room door was not working and did not lock. We had slept the whole night in an unsecured room with the thing I value most, my precious family. When I complained to the front desk at check-out, the response was "well you should have checked the door last night" Unbelievable..Thank God my wife had the sense to apply the door latch at least. My fellow Trip Advisor familes stay away!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Stayed for one night on our way back to Massachusetts. First room we found refrigerator did not work. Moved to 2nd room which we had to clean ourselves. Front desk offered the original room with the bad refrigerator back but we did not want to re-clean another room.
No restaurants close by so ended up at Burger King next door.
We would not recommend this hotel in its current condition. We've heard good things about the Sleep Inn chain but this initial experience may never give a second opportunity to see the good.
Unacceptable accomodations in this marketplace. Too many other quality choices.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2007

The worst hotel I ever stayed in!! DIRTY
There was vomit on the rug next to the bed on the other side of the bed that was never cleaned up. I did not see it until morning when I stepped on it, I smelled something during the night and thought it was out side but in the morning I found that it was in my room. THE SMELL WAS THERE IN MY ROOM and I stepped into it, I had to take two showers and still felt dirty it made me feel sick. I complained and was told they would look into it, and when I asked for some kind of refund they just more or less said sorry no can do.
I called Sleep Inn and they filed a report and said the hotel would get back to me, they did and did nothing.
If you want a clean room STAY AWAY FROM SLEEP INN 2321 WILLIS DR. RICHMOND VA.
Walter from Philadelphia

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank 1walter
Reviewed January 21, 2007

had an awful experience surprised to see this is the #3 rated hotel in richmond...but that doesnt say much for richmond...motel was in disrepair, dirty, and to think i used my points for this...needless to say the choice hotels refunded my points to me upon the complaint...this is the first choice hotel that i have had such problems with the cleanliness and broken bathroom door, holes in wall, door and just not a pleasant place ...we checked out and did not sleep there.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2006

Paid $85+tax for a room with 2 queen beds for 2 adults and 2 young children. This with AAA-discount. The hotel is 2 years old, but seems brand new. Sleep Inn is a newer brand, so their hotels are on average newer than most chains.

The room was clean, the overal apperance was very nice and the breakfast was adequate. My wife and I both thought that we got excellent value - we would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family