“Definitely will go again”

The Halligan Bar and Grill
Ranked #141 of 1,608 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Chester, Virginia
“Definitely will go again”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I met my son and his girlfriend there on a Sat. in early evening. Sevice was great and so was the food. My son has been there many times and raves about it and I was exposed to their food at the Chester Rotary Grillin" on the Green which made me want to go. They also have a larger West End location and I hope they open one south of the river, We had the sampler platter, it was reasonably priced and portions required a take home box. The pulled pork and cotnbread were to die for, but the brisket was shaved a little too thin for my taste but still had good flavor. Reviews about it being small are correct, just as we were ready to leave a party of about 30 came in and it went from cozy to jammed. It is owned by fire dept. personnel and is full of fire service memorabilia.

• Visited September 2012

Lancaster, Pa
“Excellent service”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We visited the downtown location. We were expecting 3 other friends to join us so the bartender/server was very helpful in arranging more tables (the bar is very small with only about 5 tables). Our friends ended up going to the other location (we are not from Richmond). We decided to stay where we were and they still provided great service. We enjoyed the BBQ platters, the mac and cheese and hushpuppies were excellent.

• Visited September 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“No burning need to visit Halligan's again.”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I have now eaten at Halligan's twice over the last six months or so. Both experiences were the same. The atmosphere speaks to the fun restaurant that this could be and the food is decent. But the indifferent service leaves me with no desire to return. It's not terrible, just not memorable or inspiring.

Richmond, Virginia
“Great little Bar and Grill in downtown Richmond”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

First time my wife and I visited was today. One of the few places open during lunch on a sunday. This is the original one with a newer and much larger one in the Short Pump area. I had the Pulled Pork BBQ for lunch and the wife had the wings and fries. Great food at a reasonable price. It is definitely a Firefighters Bar with all the memorabilia and photos. This one is small and a very friendly crew served us. I would definitely go back to this one.

• Visited August 2012
Somerdale NJ
“Cool Place on a Hot Afternoon”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I recently spent two days in Richmond on our way to North Carolina from New Jersey. After walking around downtown on a very hot afternoon, we decided to check out Halligan's and it was a very pleasant surprise. The house draft was good, cold and only $2 a pint. The place is small and there was only a bartender (Sierra) and cook (didn't catch his name) but they were very friendly and attentive. The other patrons were also friendly. Later that night we checked out their Glen Allen location which was near our hotel. It was much bigger with a very similar atmosphere, but just not the same as the little place downtown. Highly recommend both locations and will go back to 17th street when ever I can.

• Visited July 2012