“Comfort Food - Like Being at Aunt Martha's” 4 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Mama Mary's Sugar & Spice
Cuisines: Thai
Richmond, Virginia
“Comfort Food - Like Being at Aunt Martha's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Good food, unpretentious, great service. It's like sitting down at an aunt's table on a Sunday after church - she'll have about anything you want and it will all be good. I've never had a bad meal at Sugar & Spice; pork chops, meat loaf, chicken, greens, corn bread, mashed potatoes - it really is all good. The atmosphere is relaxed and the folks are friendly. It's the kind of place lots of people have driven by and thought, "I wonder what that place is like?" Well, now that you know stop the next time, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ErasmusNA27

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The atmosphere wasn't overdone like at some restaurants. Not only was the food great, but the service was out of this...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

The atmosphere wasn't overdone like at some restaurants. Not only was the food great, but the service was out of this world. Lee asked our waitress about crab cakes, but he noticed on the menu that they were only served on Thursdays through Sundays (and this was a Tuesday). She said, "I'm your waitress and if you want crab cakes, you're getting crab cakes." On top of that, our orders came back like lightning. We had no sooner finished our house salads when our entrees landed on the table. After supper, Lee and I talked to the owners about food. We ended up having barbecue on top of all else we ate. Lee and I both had the fried chicken (white meat) and a house salad (iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions and bell peppers). I chose fries and collard greens and he opted for mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. All supper entrees come with either cornbread or a roll. The chicken was crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. The fries were so good they didn't need ketchup or steak sauce, the collard greens were good with a spot of vinegar, and the rolls were homemade. I have brought many friends from out of town here and I recommend it to anybody else who comes to the area.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Columbus, Ohio
“Good southern soul food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

This is good down home cooking. It comfort food for the soul. I would definitely go back. I especially like the fried chicken and greens.