“Gem in the Middle of Richmond”

Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site
Ranked #24 of 179 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: The remarkable life and achievements of this famous early 1900s African-American entrepreneur, first woman bank president in the U.S. and social activist are celebrated here with artifacts, photographs and memorabilia.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a must see for history buffs. I had not heard of Maggie Walker until today, and am wondering how I missed such an important person in African American history. The park ranger led tour of Mrs Walker's house was great and gave you a wonderful perspective on her life.

All reviews
"private tour"
"civil rights"
"free admission"

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I really enjoyed visiting the Maggie L. Walker Historic Site. I was able to enter her home and look at many of her possessions up close. I will return again with additional family members in the future. The tour guides on-site were very knowledgeable.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I hadn't ever heard about Maggie Walker before this day and I'm really not a history fan but this place is very inspirational.The tour guide explained everything to us which gave us a lot of insight on not only the area but this woman’s story. We got to tour her actual home which I thought was amazing. If you get a chance please visit this location. You won’t be disappointed also its free to the public which was nice too.

1  Thank PanamaChica28
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The tour was great. Our tour guide explained everything to us and brought everything to perspective. The history of the family and the area itself has allot of history.