“Historic gem in downtown Richmond”

Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site
Ranked #22 of 172 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: The remarkable life and achievements of this famous early 1900s African-American entrepreneur, first woman bank president in the U.S. and social activist are celebrated here with artifacts, photographs and memorabilia.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Historic gem in downtown Richmond”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Toured this home after enjoying a lovely lunch at Mama J's restaurant around the corner. This is part of the national park service so we had a park ranger provide about 1.5 tour of the house and provide an encyclopedic knowledge of this great American who was the first woman bank president in America and helped anchor this prestigious neighborhood and community of African Americans in Richmond at the turn of the 20th century. Loved the home,the history, the ranger and the photographs and antiques. Free admission included a 12 minute movie narrated by Maggie L Walker. So glad we found this gem in historic Jackson Ward. Wonderful way to learn more about Richmond and America during this era.

1 Thank dcraw2001

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I Was Amazed!!!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I just happened to stumble upon this attraction after a visit to the Black History Museum around the corner and I am so glad we ventured in. This was by far the BEST site we've been in our travels all over the country visiting historical sites. I was in awe of the beautiful features and the upkeep of such an old home. The tour guide was phenomenal, as she spoke passionately about Mrs. Walker and her life. I would definitely come back and bring other family and friends.

4 Thank FW_travelchick
Ashland, Va
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Remarkable woman”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a wonderful place to take children and educate them on how much we need to continue our fight for equality for all Americans. Maggie Walker was a remarkable woman, and it is wonderful to see her honored in Richmond, the capital of the confederacy.

Colorado
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Pretty neat”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Good history. Didn't do the tour because of time but watched the video. Park staff are friendly and really want to give tours.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank naturehippie20
Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Love it!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

It was really a nice Historic Site. I never knew anything about Maggie Walker before my trip to Richmond. However, my husband and I were very impressed with her life story and her beautiful home. Her home which is part of the exhibit is very well preserved and very, very impressive. I would recommend this Historic site to anyone who what’s to experience the difference that one person can make. Nice small gift shop with great books. Great for kids and adults alike.

Visited September 2011