“Remarkable woman”

Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site
Ranked #25 of 176 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: The remarkable life and achievements of this famous early 1900s African-American entrepreneur, first woman bank president in the U.S. and social activist are celebrated here with artifacts, photographs and memorabilia.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a wonderful place to take children and educate them on how much we need to continue our fight for equality for all Americans. Maggie Walker was a remarkable woman, and it is wonderful to see her honored in Richmond, the capital of the confederacy.

There are newer reviews for Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Good history. Didn't do the tour because of time but watched the video. Park staff are friendly and really want to give tours.

1  Thank naturehippie20
Reviewed August 12, 2012

It was really a nice Historic Site. I never knew anything about Maggie Walker before my trip to Richmond. However, my husband and I were very impressed with her life story and her beautiful home. Her home which is part of the exhibit is very well preserved and very, very impressive. I would recommend this Historic site to anyone who what’s to experience the difference that one person can make. Nice small gift shop with great books. Great for kids and adults alike.

3  Thank MarylandBAE
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stopped here mainly to get a stamp in our passport book of National Historic Sites and Parks, but were pleasantly surprised by the interesting tour of the home. The ranger said there was a group coming shortly after we arrived, so we received a "brief" tour of the home, but we couldn't tell that there were any details left out. The story of Maggie L. Walker was very interesting and inspiring. We would highly recommend this stop to anyone going through Richmond!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I can't believe I'd lived in Richmond nearly 30 years before I visited Maggie Walker's house. To me, the is one of the best historical sites in town. First of all, she was a resilient woman with a remarkable story. Secondly, there are not many (if any) houses in this historic neighborhood that are open to the public. Lastly, how many "historic houses" have you visited where the tour guide says "We've furnished this home the way we think the Blah-Blah Family would have had it fixed up when they lived here" and it turns out that most of the household items are of unknown provenance? Maggie Walker's home has her original furnishings, right down to photographs on the walls & books in the library cases. You can see what an old kitchen really looked like, and the laundry room with its ancient washing equipment will make you appreciate your modern washer & dryer - even if you don't have the trendiest models.
Before you tour the house, you'll have the chance to see the informative film about Maggie Walker, and you should not skip it. Next, you'll got through a museum that has is housed in neighboring townhouses. The final stop is Maggie's house which looks as close to its original appearance as one could hope. The granddaughters' dolls are still on their beds.
The roll-of-the-dice will be the tour guide. I've been here I guess three times, with varying results with tour guides. One was nice as could be, but hard to understand because he talked fast & did not enunciate; it was sort of like trying to make sense of a waterfall. And like a previous reviewer mentioned, DO ask questions. Be nosy about the Walker family's life. After all, your tax dollars are paying for this since it is part of the National Park Service!

1  Thank Bill H