“A great place for strolling, shopping & dining”
Review of Carytown

and up
The Carytown Food Tour in Richmond
Ranked #7 of 168 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Section of Richmond that is great for walking, shopping or touring museums and galleries.
Harrisonburg, Virginia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A great place for strolling, shopping & dining”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Carytown offers Richmonders and visitors a plethora of choices when it comes to shopping and dining. American and international cuisine is easily comeby and tasty. It has an art deco shopping center that is listed on the National Register. A real plus is convenient free parking close the Carytown's main drag.

Visited November 2012

Richmond,Va
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice slice of Richmond”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

A lot of shopping with many unique boutiques and restaurants.
We like to eat at Cafe Mosaic and for something different the Galaxy Diner

Washington, DC
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A comfortable neighborhood”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Perhaps it's not unique -- America's cities are sprinkled with funky little enclaves of commerce, coffee stores locally owned (as opposed to Starbucks, etc). I went to Carytown for Planet 9 Music, where I found a 1974 Bowie bootleg, but there's much more I would enjoy exploring about the area. in particular, I like the small, human-scaled housing that provides a John Cougar Melloncamp Small Town vibe. Didn't see any pink houses, though.

Visited November 2012
Perth, Australia
466 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,456 helpful votes
“Lovely part of Richmond”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

After visiting museums and churches all day Carytown made a nice change.
It is a great place to spend some time just wandering around the streets in and out of shops and cafes. There are some very nice restaurants in this area as well.

Indianapolis, IN
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Need a mani? Head to Flirt”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I had a morning and afternoon to spend in Richmond. Several people recommended we head to Carytown. We had a great time popping in the shops and eateries.

I wanted to hit a drug store to get some nail supplies to do my nails before the wedding we were attending that evening. My husband spotted the salon, Flirt, and they happened to have an opening for a mani. It was a GREAT bargain. "Styles" did my nails. I don't know what magic she did, but the manicure held up for a week (on natural nails)! I was impressed.

Two doors down there's a really cute baby/kids store called Franklin Goose. We loved it!

And I guarantee that if you hit "For the Love of Chocolate," your mouth will drop open when you go inside. Floor to ceiling candy is super impressive.

1 Thank Type-A_Planner