“And Sometimes You Get Lucky...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Diner - CLOSED

Paradise Diner
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New Dinner Menu! Check out the website for more details!Now Accepts Credit Cards!
Naperville, Illinois
“And Sometimes You Get Lucky...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had to eat before my business meeting, and I REALLY needed coffee. My GPS is old and feeble and the restaurant that she was pointing me at apparently no longer exists. It was cold and raining and I was starving and cranky when I pulled into this strip mall to turn around and make another attempt at finding sustenance. Then I spotted the sign for the diner at the very end of the strip mall and decided that I'd found food and I was staying put.

When I walked in, the place was clean and bright and a server yelled a welcome from over near the grill. The decor makes me think Florida, or tropical, more than diner but it was fun and friendly. Service was quick and excellent. Because I was leery, I ordered a basic western omelette. It was excellent and they kept my coffee cup full. I read a book until it was time to go to my meeting and they were cheerful about me occupying a booth for a while. (It was between breakfast and lunch, so they weren't busy.)

They do take credit cards, at least they took my visa with no problem. A full breakfast with coffee was $15, including generous tip. Should I ever find myself in Richmond again, I'll definitely attempt to find this place!

• Visited January 2013

Virginia
“They've Known You Forever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is the true hole in the wall eatery. It is located at the very end of a 60's strip mall. The staff is so friendly that they make you feel like you've been friends for a very long time. You get great breakfasts and lunches here. They have breakfast specials that are quite unique as well as the standard fare. I'm originally from the upper Midwest so that disqualifies me from judging grits; but my GF who is the queen of comfort food hails from South Carolina and thinks the grits are excellent. I just like the place and we go there often. Give it a try!

Visited December 2012
Chapel Hill, NC
“What a good breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

My wife and I found Paradise Diner by the POI on our GPS. It looked risky. It's in a strip mall and off the main flow of traffic. Boy, did we luck out! I agree with all of the other positive reviews, although just to clarify, they do take credit cards - all but American Express.
I am a big fan of local breakfast restaurants, and this one fits perfectly. Clean, attractive with a bit of kitch - palm trees painted on the walls and look that would fit better in Key West. Neverthelless, the food was basic with an Irish breakfast in honor of upcoming St. Patrick's day. The service was friendly and quick, and the price was reasonable. There is a weekday breakfast deal with a price you cannot beat at home. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, so set your GPS if you are passing through Richmond.

• Visited March 2012
Prince George, Virginia
“Diner Plus+”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

It's a diner. Food was better than expected. I had liver and onions with mashed potatoes and green beans. Not as great as mom's but better than most other restaurants that feature this. The hamburger was very tasty and juicy. I would go back again, if in the area.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia
“Never coming back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

This place was awful! We went for dinner expecting "normal diner food", but their menu did not contain more that 10 items, none of which were hamburgers, fries, etc. We were confused by this but had a little hope when the menu stated that the could easily make you what you wanted if it was not on the menu....lies. Instead of coconut-fried chicken tenders, we asked for plain chicked tenders, but they said they could not do that. Then, instead of chorizo pizza, we asked for plain pizza. They acted like it was the most time-consuming request they had ever received. Anyways, we ordered and the food came fairly quickly. It was nothing to write home about. Once we were finished and the waitress(es?) brought our check, I asked for separate checks. She just about threw a FIT! I guess thay are not "advanced" enough to do so using a calculator.... So when she brought our ONE credit card receipt, the waitress stood at the end of our table and waited for us to tip and sign it. She refused to leave until we had given her the signed receipt back. I will never return, nor will I reccomend this place to anyone. I hope their "new management" gets a clue.

• Visited December 2011