“Historic Charm, Delightful Menu” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Julep's New Southern Cuisine

Julep's New Southern Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Julep's New Southern Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Jersey
“Historic Charm, Delightful Menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I was most impressed with Julep's. The building is nearly 200 years old (est 1817) and delivers a authentic historic charm, especially upstair where the wood beams are exposed. The menu had a range of unique items. Wine list is extensive, but pricey. Went on a business dinner, would take my wife if we ever travel together to Richmond.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank MPCLDC

Las Vegas
“Sadly, Not the Same”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Fourth Visit to the restaurant. All good experiences except this past week. Very average. Poor service, favorite dishes now average to poor. Really love to try the local flair too, so asked our waiter for a Virginia wine recommendation. He said he would recommend something from California. I can do that anytime. My first visit was enjoyed with a lovely Virginia mountain reserve chardonnay. I ended up seeking the wine out it was so good. Labored from beginning to end. My clients thought the fish was fishy - bad sign. I'm being generous offering an Average rating. It was probably a bit below.

Staff always very nice.

Sad to say, but not up to par. Won't be going back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I ate at Julep’s on Saturday, November 23, 2013. We had 5:30 reservations, but arrived at 5:25 and we were seated immediately at a table on the second floor near a window. My only complaint about the whole experience is that it was a little cold near the window.

We both got the Fried Oyster’s as an appetizer. They were excellent - very fresh tasting. They were served with a house made aioli that was very tasty. For our main dish, I got the fish special, fresh locally caught Rock Fish; and my wife got the Crab Cake dinner.

We asked to substitute the regular sides that came with our meals, and our server, Noel, was very willing to make the changes. We both got the mashed potatoes and fried brussel sprouts with our meals. My fish was absolutely superb – one of the best pieces of fish I’ve ever had. The potatoes were very good and the brussel sprouts were excellent. My wife’s crab cakes very excellent as well. Her dish came with a “Bacon Jam” that was to die for! It really enhanced the flavor of the crab cakes.

We can’t wait to go back. I think both of us will get the crab cakes the next time we go. Highly recommend to anyone interested in very good food and service.

1 Thank 1967foodie
Bluemont, VA
“Excellent food, slow service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We ate here to celebrate my daughter's birthday and our participation in the Richmond 8K and Half Marathon. The food was very good. I had the wild boar, my wife had steak, and my daughter had duck. All very well prepared. I had the cheese plate for desert and highly recommend it.

Our server was excellent, but the kitchen was slow. Not 'having a lovely time so why not slow down and enjoy life' slow, but folks at tables around us checking their watches slow.

Babezee
“Delightful evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

The only reason for not giving Julep a full five stars is because we were seated shortly after a very large party on a business dinner and it was a long time for our apps and entrees. Once served, everything was spectacular and the server, while very attentive, didn't indicate that our meal would be held up by the large party.