“Superb Richmond restaurant”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We found this gem while our daughter attended the University of Richmond, and it quickly became a favorite. The atmosphere, food and waitstaff are all outstanding. We returned many times and made it a point to do so on graduation weekend. The fried green tomatoes are memorable, and the corn muffins (served at every meal) are indeed exceptional, as are the crab cakes. The bananas foster, prepared tableside are a show stopper. The wine selection is excellent. While any waiter will be attentive, knowledgeable, and professional, Joe is the best there is. We made it a point to ask for him every time we went. He did his best to assure a wonderful experience, each and every time. No visit to Richmond is complete without a trip to Juleps.

There are newer reviews for Julep's New Southern Cuisine

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Found this restaurnat to be perfect for an evening with professional colleagues. Atmosphere was pleasant, and quiet enought that we could easily have a conversation amongst five of us at a round table. Very attentive waitstaff. Must add to the raves about the fried green tomatoes-I always order these when I find them on a menu-and Julep's version was excellent. Crab cakes were meaty and had nice subtle flavoring that complemented the sweet crab flavor.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Everything is here is out of this world. Our server was so nice without being intrusive. We started off with a mint julep and dark and stormy and fried green tomatoes and veal sweet breads. All were amazing. For our entree we shared the rack of wild boar, the side was greens, sweet potatoes and mushrooms and was the best thing I have ever eaten. We finished it off with the bananas foster flamed table side. we walked away with an amazing night for the record books.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I were seated promptly after making our reservations and the wait staff had impeccable timing, were poised and very professional. The atmosphere was quiet and romantic and we were seated on the second floor. All of the food tasted homemade and so fresh!

I could have eaten the corn bread as an entire appetizer, it was so good - and it just got better from there! The fried green tomatoes were as delicious as what I tried in Charleston, SC years ago and the salads were so flavorful.

My crab cakes were so rich and were loaded with lots of herbs and flavor. My husband ordered wild boar which was very tender and did not really taste "gamey." The creme brulee was surprisingly just okay - I didn't care for the apricots mixed in but still tasted pretty good.

Definitely a restaurant you should try and one that we will return to soon!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Located in the Shockoe Bottom historic district, this small restaurant has plenty of atmosphere - and it feels real. We went there for the fried green tomatoes and they were the best we've ever had. Crispy coating and a spicy sauce - almost a meal in themselves. This place is so local, that they even tell you where the lettuce is from. So I tried the salad with white anchovies. Four pieces of lettuce, slightly rolled, but they were so flavorful that I could only finish 3 pieces. That's because I had to save room for the pecan tart and it was perfect! I made a reservation even though it was Monday night and it's a good thing I did because the place filled up quickly. Service was attentive, though the food courses were a bit slow in coming. Never mind, I could see the chefs working hard in the kitchen and it was obvious from the quality of the food that each course was individually prepared.

1  Thank westerngal71