“Paradise for those who love good food, lovingly prepared!”
Review of Freedom Cafe - CLOSED

Freedom Cafe
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Who don't like a good lunch or dinner in front of the sea ? The Osteria 'NTONIA gives you this opportunity!come to us and taste our speciality: food fish, tipical sicilian food and home made ,moreover wine,a good pizza, beer, icecream, coffè...and more over....
Reviewed March 25, 2013

While driving round and round Castellammare for half an hour, vainly looking for a particular high-ranked restaurant, we kept
going by this modest-looking restaurant/pizza place right on the waterfront. It was the off- season, so not many tourists were in town. The only customers we could see in the dining room were a very large, apparently local family, but on repeated passes by the place, we noted that they seemed to be having an excellent time there.

Finally, too exhausted to keep driving at the advanced hour, for us, of 8:30pm, we parked and gave it a shot. We were greeted by a chic, in-charge lady who greeted us warmly and humorously, even offering me her strong arm to enter (I had just sprained my ankle and was walking with a cane). At first, I even thought I might be too tired to eat, and just asked for a nice, local white wine. When the woman brought me my big glass of golden chard/blend, I reached for it, and she said, "Smell it first," and I realized I wasn't in just anyone's beachfront pizza joint!

My husband, a hearty eater, ordered a big bowl of fish soup composed of various shellfish: clams, fat mussels, and shrimp in a broth delicately flavored with herbs and a bit of garlic, chunks of tender potatoes, and ringed with big, crunchy slabs of freshly toasted bread. I, still feeling ladylike, asked if I could just share it with him. The woman smilingly brought me a whole empty bowl of my own, and once I tasted the finesse with which these shellfish were handled, I was a goner! This meal was being prepared by a chef who really knew his stuff. Actually, HER stuff, as we learned when the next course came--fat, tender, triangular ravioli filled with delicate fish, and flavored with a sauce involving various green herbs, including a touch of mint, coarsely ground nuts, cheese, and olive oil. We had never tasted anything like it elsewhere, and when we sent our compliments to the chef, the smiling woman introduced herself as Antonella, the chef, as well as waitress, and whatever else was needed around the place.

For dessert, she offered Cassatella Siciliana, a tidbit somewhat different from the Sicilian cassatta, a cakelike affair that is very sweet and served cold. Antonella, on the spot, whipped up these simple, tender little turnovers filled with HOT, slightly-sweetened ricotta and dusted with powdered sugar.

Finished it up with tiny glasses of a dark, aromatic, local digestif. Woo.

We had had a meal go die for, prepared by a master chef.

If you love expertly, lovingly prepared food, do your tastebuds a favor and take a close look at the Freedom Cafe. No true foodie will ever regret the choice.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

After vainly searching for the #2 rated restaurant on trip advisor (does it still exist, is the address wrong?) we randomly entered Freedom Cafe, there to have the finest meal we have had here yet. We started with the soup, then had "treangolare", triangular ravioli stuffed with fish and shrimp and covered in a sauce of olive oil, mint, and crushed pine nuts that just blew us away. Dessert was cassatela siciliana, a hot mozzarella turnover that we had never had before. Antonella is the owner, cook, waitress and friendly greeter, speaking enough English to make the non-Italophones happy, though she also taught us a fair amount of Italian. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but go there!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I were in Trapani for the week and we found ourselves in Castellammare del Golfo in March. Unfortunately most of the restaurants were shut and there were very few people around, we saw some movement if Freedom Cafe and we thought we'd try our luck. The restaurant was closed but the owner welcomed us in, went out to the kitchen and came back with a list of meals she had the ingredients for. Gingerly my wife and I chose our meals and set about the wine list. We were soon joined by a local vineyard owner who recommended excellent wines to us and we were presented with our food. Easily some of the best pasta dishes we had ever eaten, beautifully prepared and served in a homely and welcoming manner. An absolute gold mine for us the perfect dining experience.

Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We happened to find this place by accident and Iwe were served excellent food, we had a typical Sicilian antipasti, made out of sweet & sour sardines- really great then we had pasta which was perfectly cooked!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had been recommended to eat here by the owner of the B&B we were staying at. Food being prepared by the chef and waiter was handwritten and freshly devised from what was caught that day. We ate a lovely array of seafood in a pasta dish (a local shape) that had saffron notes, it was so fresh and delicious.

4  Thank BellaFigura