“unexpectablly BAD”

Grand Hotel Colonna Capo Testa
Reviewed August 27, 2012

2 things were excellent - location and dinner (especially Rodolfo, the most simpatic waiter). Except these 2 things, the hotel could be maximum 3 stars hotel. Please BE CAREFUL - maximum 3 stars hotel !!! - the entire hotel needs an URGENT refurbishment, the WI FI and AIR COND never worked, the smell in the rooms and cupboards is practically REALLY bad, the bathroom should immediately fully changed, the furniture has more than 20 yrs, the TV came from the last century... really a disaster. One more item in plus - the room s cleaning is excellent, as well the Manager of the hotel (even him seems to be unsatissfied about his position vs. problems).

Room Tip: before check in, just see the room and be sure about the AIR COND .....
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Marius V
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Colonna Capo Testa

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was in the hotel with my family and we were really looking forward to it. unfortunately we were very disappointed! i tried to send them 4 emails before our arrival and nobody was able to answer me. I tried to call there and the lady told me that they have my email and I have to wait or call later. I had no answer again. we were asking to hold the same room for our stay ( our stay was made by two different agencies ) and the lady told us somethink like : maybe, yes, I dotn know"..... nobody was able to help us!again!!!!! we also spoke with their general manager and he also was not able to help....service of the reception is really very poor and they are unfriedly. maybe the hotel will write here a comment that they tried to do their best but thats not true ...i spoke about that hotel with a few persons from the city and they told me the same: not 5*...only one good thing is the restaurant called La Pagoda! the second restaurant called Colonna was not good. I would not reccommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank WhatEvaLoves
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Seriously, take it from us, this hotel is Anti-American. We have never in our lives been treated so badly in such an obvious way. From the management to the wait staff...we were even asked to leave our beach chairs so an Italian could have them by the lifeguard at the private beach we paid for!

This place is in NO WAY a 5 star resort...and let me just say, two twin beds do not equal a king! Its ridiculous to think that two people can sleep comfortably on a tiny twin bed, but thats what you're forced to do because sleeping on the crack with a thin sheet over the mattresses is even worse.

But to us, the worst part of the trip you paid thousands for, is to be seated in the restaurant, watching others who were seated after you, being served before you constantly. This happened three nights during the dinner service. And on the last night, I had enough of being treated like a second class citizen and went to speak with the management.

Vincenzo did nothing but justify the staff in my complaints. He actually had the audacity to say we were "expecting a different level of service" when we were just expecting to be treated like everyone else!

Sardinia was beautiful, and there are many adventures to be had. The island was gorgeous! Just find a more friendly hotel...this place is old, run down, and still has small box tv's with 5 channels, and very minimal AC. For this price, we should be able to do better than that.

Room Tip: The view is about all you get at this hotel, so make it worth it, and ask for a view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Priscilla R
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is the first time we stayed in the Grand Hotel and the location and the view from our room was fantastic.
The staff were all very friendly (typical Sardinian) and helpfull and checking in and getting to our rooms went very smooth.
The food was fine and we had half board (breakfast and evening meal) and a good daily variety from the menu, the pool was well kept and very clean as was the pool areas and the outside bar and eating platform, the drinks were exspensive and double the price for a bottled beer to what we paid in other Hotels in Sardinia, the Hotel was not very busy at our time of staying but i can imagine it getting very busy in July and August.
The restaurant, upstairs bar and lounge areas were very spacious with some very nice furniture.
The Bedroom and Bathroom was fine and clean but in need of a little TLC as they looked a little tired and in need of brightning up and redecorating.
The Hotel is slightly out from the town but we had a car so it was not an issue and without doubt the view from the Beach view room was Fantastic and as good as it gets, there is a small sandy beach sectioned off for the Hotel and was clean, well maintained and watched by the Hotel Lifegaurds.
The car park is small and on two different levels with a large slope and when it is busy you have to park outside on the road and grass verge.
We would go back again but it would be mainly for the View and location.

Room Tip: Must have a sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TonyMount
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I guess it is easiest to start with the saving graces that prevented it from getting a TERRIBLE rating; two things only, first some of the service - friendliness and wonderful family attitude of the staff at the pool bar. Second the one one poor lady on reception who tried to resolve the many many real issues that came up.

Rooms - be very carefuly here, we had two sets of rooms, the first night the rooms were tiny, stank to high heaven and generally a standard lower than I would expect to find in a student back pack dorm, and most definetly not what we had booked at a substantial rate. The next set if rooms were a marginal impriovement because they had a view and did not stink so much but they were tiny and not suitable for small kids as you could barely swing a dwarf cat in them.

Restaurant - Pretty much a disaster, we booked half board but chose not to eat there for several reasons. First the menu does not accomodate any child (let alone baby/toddler) friendly times or items, we were actually told to bring our own toddler food which we could buy in town. Second, the food is really far from good, it was quite hard to get your head round the composition and theme of the menu on the very few occasions we ate their. The wine greatly over priced, low on quality and very limited selection. However the piece de resistance must be the management, when we managed to engage with a member of staff, he was soon moved away from us I guess for fratenizing with the enemy ? To be informed mid second course that we are not in accordance with their very non-existant dress code (unpublished anywhere as far as we can tell, even on the entry signage) was to be frank a total joke and for which a very considered and measured response was provide by us. The general atmosphere engendered a feeling of 'god get me out of here - quickly'.

Room Service - After spending 30 mins to try and call a person to place an order, I reverted to walking to reception to discuss. So rather than waste everybodies time here, I was eventually informed (a day later) I could have room service on friday night, after I asked on Tuesday morning but a simple meal it would cost me 100 euro!! Plan B, buy local cheese in town and eat on the balcony when the kids have gone to bed. I asked reception for 4 plates and 2 sets of cutlery, 2 plates arrive and one set of cutlery arrived, when I queried why there was a problem I was told that it was not possible to provide the plates and cutlery - kicked off again and the problem got fixed.

Kids Club Childcare - We did not use it too much as the kids were of the wrong age group but the staff were very friendly and seemed to enjoy doing activities with the kids but the facilities they have to work with seemed quite limited. I think they borrowed our ball because they did not have one. Just to reiterate, I think the staff were good but based on our limited experience.

Pool and facilities - The pool and surrounds are beautiful, god help you if you want to use an iflatable or ball in them - hell hath no furry........

Pool Bar and Cafe - Staff, fantastic, fantastic, fantastic - just remember, you cant get many (any I think) menu items after 1430 - so the strategy of using it to feed the kids toasties for dinner fell flat on its face. The good news is a gin and tonic is only the same as a taxi ride one way into town, 15 Euro!!

Location - Very good with huge amounts of potential. Two km from town (but a small shop is closer on capo testa about .75km) and too dangerous to walk, taxi fare is 15 Euro each way which rates as one of the most expensive I have ever paid per km anywhere in the world! The shuttle bus is free but very infrequent and drops you off some way from the piazza. The town itself is really quite nice and not to pricey G&T 5 Euro, pizza 12 Euro etc. We spent a lot oif time eating in town at various restuarants which were all good. The staff at the icecream shop opposite the piano bar were fab.

General facilities - Internet = expensive after the first free 8 hours and poor, Shop = no shop! Spa did not use so no comment, gym did not use so no comment.

In summary we paid a lot of money for this hotel, five star prices and got 2 to 3 star service. If we had been poor students, no kids paid a quarter of the price the holiday would have been somewhere between poor and acceptable but we are not so this ranks as one of the worst value for money holidays spattered with various unpleasant incidents with some staff so it has to be somewhere between terrible and poor.

I do feel sorry for some of the junior staff, they are warm welcoming and care but management soon seems to take care of that attitude fairly swiftly!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Adam_M65
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Extra small rooms, arrived at 10:22 Pm, nothing to eat! After asking please to give something cause we had a child with us, the lady from the reception called the kitchen to prepare 3 toasts with ham and cheese, after some funny faces voila, they where going to take them to our room! 34€ three simple ham and cheese toasts! Great job!
By the way, the menu on the restaurant doesnt have any price list.
Decided to go to closest town, Santa Teresa, be carefull with the taxi prices, since the area is very windy, the Price changes according!

To avoid! 5 stars only the pools, the rest is a poor 3 star!

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank Pmcsma
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I could say more but some of your other reviews say it all. Lovely location, restaurant acceptable and even stylish if a little expensive, but many things were wrong. Our experience with the bathroom in the "superior" room was very special. On checking in I was not sure what i did not like in the receptionist's attitude but I was soon to find out. The superior room was the last in a row and basically it was truncated to accommodate the stairs. It was pretty difficult to navigate in the bathroom for lack of space and the wardrobe was small enough to force one to put hang all the clothes as a strong angle.

I soon discovered that the hot and cold water were inverted in the hand basin and the shower, i.e. apart from being positionally incorrect they were incorrectly marked, a source of danger.

We went to dinner and when we got back there was a pretty bad smell in the bathroom. This got worse all night until in the morning it was very bad and I noticed that the wall enclosing the toilet cistern was very hot. In other words the hot water was going into the toilet as well! No wonder that bad smells were a result. We interrogated the maid who implied that this particular room had always been like that but did not want to get involved. We descended to the unlovable male receptionist who clearly knew all the time that he was giving us a bad room and when attacked he bravely retreated, leaving it to the girls.

We were of course moved for the second night to a better room but there was no financial compensation. Above all we felt cheated and convinced that the hotel knew what they were trying to do from the start, they knew this was a bad room but the hotel was essentially full.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Porto Rotondo
Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma
Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma
#1 of 17 in La Maddalena

Been to Grand Hotel Colonna Capo Testa? Share your experiences!